“Should have kept wet n wild”

Ranked #241 of 457 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Water is Life. Life is Joy. That's the philosophy celebrated at Universal's Volcano Bay™ water theme park. It's the carefree attitude the fabled Waturi islanders have embraced on their Pacific isle for centuries. Now you can live the Waturi way at this all-new park where thrills and relaxation flow in perfect harmony.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Who ever thought of this bright idea needs a reality check. They closed Wet n Wild which was a separate park away from any other park and decided to open this joke which can only be described as a farce. Firstly you can only gain access by going to Universal/Islands of Adventure car park. From there you have to get a shuttle bus to Volcano Bay - you cannot access this park any other way than via this shuttle. As if Universal is not crowded enough, we got off the hotel bus and queued for the Volcano Bay shuttle along with about 60+ other people. First two buses were full and we got the 3rd bus after a LONG wait. Once at the park the madness really began. Queued about 45 minutes to get in and receive our tapu. Then, you couldn't see the wood for the trees - people, loungers, palm trees - we walked for 30 minutes in search of any free seats (this was at 10.30am) - horrible wet sand in some places and on the paths and saw at least 2 people slip as they had crocs on - eventually a lady gave us 2 of her chairs beside the kiddies pool between 6 of us. Queues are a joke everywhere. My teens went on 2 rides and 1 trip up the lazy river after which they wanted to leave. Queued for the bus back to Universal and got a cab back to our hotel. We visit Orlando every year and buy the 3 park flexi ticket. We paid $1,400 for 6 - 7 day 3 park flexi tickets - it worked out the same practically as just buying tickets for VB as we had hoped to spend most of it there (we had done the other parks every other year and there wasn't anything new in them). We used our 7 day ticket 3 times - once at Universal, once at Islands of Adventure and once at Volcano Bay - never again and a total waste of a days holiday and money. We used to go to Wet n Wild which was easily accessible and you only dealt with that parks queue. This place just adds mayhem to an already packed place. We are going again in October or April 2019 and will probably only buy a one day ticket for the new fast n furious ride at Universal but that will be it - won't be buying any weekly park tickets - certainly not for Volcano Bay anyway - we wasted a fortune!! Wet n Wild was a dream and sadly missed

12  Thank MARCY100Limerick
UOGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Universal's Volcano Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hello Marcy,
I'm so sorry to hear about the experience you had at Volcano Bay. I see one of our Guest Services Team Members reached out to you via email in regards to your experience. I have made sure to document your feedback and will be passing it along to the appropriate management teams. I strongly encourage you to give our Guest Services team a call to talk about your visit some more. You can contact them at 407-224-4233 option 4 or via email at GuestServices@universalorlando.com. Thank you,
-Lissette

Write a ReviewReviews (3,094)
All reviews
in 40 reviews
"moana"
in 63 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

You stay on resort. The park is themed wonderfully. Seating spread out throughout the park. However, think twice about spending money on the ticket if you are not staying at one of the resort hotels. We had 5 day 3 park, park to park tickets. We had planned to go to the water park in the afternoons however everyday of our stay the park was at capacity by noon. We were able to get two days in but only because we went straight to the water park when we arrived at city walk first thing in the morning. If you miss it ask to be added to the "waiting list", you might make it in that way. When we asked about why it was always at capacity by lunch everyday when the park could hold 6500 (park actually has more capacity but they set aside entry for their resort guests that may or may not be planning to go to the park), we were told that the hotel guest got preferential entry since they spent a lot of money to stay at the hotel to which I replied that "I spent $1600 on tickets that included the water park". If Universal wants their hotel guests to have a water park then don't sell tickets to the public. Be sure you read the extra fine print about paying for something you may or may not be able to use. Save your money and go to a disney water park if you can afford it. Don't hear of those getting full or setting aside entry for resort guests.

1  Thank ssgh2

Hello,
I'm so sorry to hear about the experience you had at Volcano Bay. The number of Guests is controlled In order to provide the best experience for all of our Guests and ensure they are having a safe and fun time. I know how the large crowds can create an uncomfortable and frustrating experience, and I apologize that they also caused high wait times and long lines inside the park. I strongly encourage you to give our Guest Services team a call to talk about your visit some more. You can contact them at 407-224-4233 option 4 or via email at GuestServices@universalorlando.com. Thank you,
-Lissette

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This is definitely one of the best parks you’ll visit in Orlando. The tap system for virtual line is a great way to make life easier, less stressful than the other parks. The rides are brilliant. One major problem is the entry system, we were over an hour and a half from time of parking till time we got into the park. Other than that it would get 5 stars.

1  Thank Micksum
UOGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Universal's Volcano Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hello,
I'm thrilled to hear that you think it is one of the best parks here in Orlando. I am glad that the TapuTapu Virtual Line worked as intended and helped provide a relaxing experience. I am sorry to hear that it took you so long to get into the park. If you wish to discuss this further or provide any additional feedback, please feel free to call our Guest Services line at 407-224-4233 option 4 or email GuestServices@universalorlando.com. Thank you for sharing your review of Volcano Bay, I hope you're able to come back for another visit soon!

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I guess this is my fault as I purchased tickets for Volcano Bay two months ago, but the tickets I bought were not date specific and this was a BIG problem when attempting to go to this park during the busy Easter break week. Had I known I could buy date specific tickets, I absolutely would have bought them as I had every single day of our Florida holiday planned many months in advance.

I would suggest Management consider only selling date specific tickets for only for Volcano Bay park since it’s capacity is much lower than the other parks.

We arrived at the park after battling two hours of horrible traffic and arrived just ONE hour of opening time to see a sign that said “Park at Capacity” and then was turned away at the parking terminal.

One cannot comprehend the level of disappointment to have saved for a whole year for this holiday, fly 4000 kms to this area to be turned away followed by your 6 year old crying in the backseat....

I can appreciate that park capacity is capacity but management absolutely needs to address this issue for busy weeks like Easter Break.

I called customer service and after a fight I got my money back on my “non-refundable ticket”....they tried to coax us to experience their other parks. Uhm no thank you?! I am not dressed in park attire like clothes to enjoy. We were all dressed in nothing but swim suits, swim shirts, cover ups and flip flops. Not to mention the price difference of Volcano Bay vs two other Universal parks. I am still upset that I had to fight for my money back after our experience....

Horrible experience on vacation. Could be worse....but definitely the absolute lowest point of our whole holiday.

Point is...if you know your date and going during a busy week...buy the date specific tickets so you won’t be gutted with disappointment like we were today.

4  Thank LisaLuvsVacations

Hi Lisa,
I am truly sorry you were not able to experience Volcano Bay due to the park reaching capacity prior to your arrival. We have several methods for our Guests to check the current park status. You can view it on our official mobile app, on the park hours section on our website, and we even have a hotline you can call 407-817-8317 to get a current update. I apologize this was not properly conveyed to you ahead of time. I am glad that our Guest Services department was able to assist you, and if you wish to discuss your visit further please contact 407-224-4233 option 4 or email GuestServices@universalorlando.com. Thank you for sharing your review, I hope we get the opportunity to host you again in the futrue.