“Outdated Design”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The exterior of the hotel is breathtaking and so is the lobby. The staff is the best! However the room design was dated and not to my taste. I previously stayed there when I was a child and I can say that the design of the room has not changed. I really wish Disney would redesign their rooms into something classic, modern, and bright. After all it is a pricey hotel. Did I enjoy my stay their? Absolutely will I return? Only if they revamp their rooms... Sorry Floridian...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mariam M

Reviewed 16 September 2012

The hotel is elegant both inside and out. Everyone goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Of course this is true throughout all of Disney. I stayed in the Garden View building and would stay there again. The inside of the main building is beautiful and has all the shops and restaurants. The other buildings are quieter and almost as pretty plus nearer the pool and beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at the GF for 2 week commencing 27th August 2012 for our honeymoon. We decided to stay at the GF despite it being very expensive we wanted it to be special as we had waited and saved for over 2 years to get married and go on honeymoon. We were not disappointed. We booked a standard garden view room and upon arrival we were told we had been upgraded to a Magic Kingdom view room as it was our honeymoon. We were overwhelmed by this as the room they upgraded us to was the exact room we wanted, sago cay, room 5445. We were greeted by the friendly staff from the magical express when we arrived and were asked if we needed help with luggage. We walked into the grand lobby and the orchestra were playing Pachelbel's canon which I had walked down the aisle to only 2 days before, this was all so much to take in. Our room was large and clean and as soon as you enter the room you can see Cinderella's castle. My husband and I could not believe the upgrade which reduced me to tears! A lady called Renee checked us in & offered the upgrade, she was so kind and polite, could not have done enough for us. Her service could not have been any better. On the second day I dropped our new camera on the floor by the pool and found that it would not switch back on. As we had a reservation at Cinderella's royal table that night we really needed a camera, however we did have our i-phones as a back up. My husband went to concierge who were more than helpful and offered for one of their driver's to go to the nearest walmart and pick the same camera up at no extra cost and have this put in our room within 1 hour so that we had a camera in time for our reservation. In the end, my husband got the camera working so we informed concierge who advised that if we had any more problems with the camera to let them know and they will still arrange for a new one to be picked up and just charged to our room. All the staff, including housekeeping, always talked to us in the corridors, always smiled. We felt very welcome by everyone at the hotel and felt very special the whole 2 weeks we stayed there. We ate at 1900 Park Fare, Narcoossee's and the Grand Floridian cafe during our stay. All the restaurants were exceptional and in our opinion, faultless, especially Narcoossee's where we had the best restaurant meal we had ever had, the service was amazing too. There is a lot of maintenance being carried out at the hotel, however, we weren't really affected by it as the pool closed on our last day. This work has to be carried out at some point of the year and so the hotel cannot please everyone. All in all, we had the most memorable honeymoon and the hotel exceeded our expectations. It was worth every penny we spent and the long wait we had. We only hope that one day we can afford another 2 week stay here!!! :) Thank you so much to all the staff at the Grand Floridian, our stay could not have been better!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank NJBatley
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I stayed at Disney’s Grand Floridian hotel for business in late June 2012 for six nights. While it is not my favorite Disney property at Walt Disney World, it is Disney’s most elegant option at the Resort.

OVERALL
If you’ve got the dough, or you’re spending someone else’s liberally, staying at Disney’s Grand Floridian hotel is a pleasant, excellent experience. This is as close as you’ll get to Four Seasons quality service and ambience in Central Florida, at least until the new Four Seasons opens, and definitely worth the investment for hoteliers.

WHAT I LIKED:

LOCATION: If you’re a Magic Kingdom fan, this is a pretty great location—one monorail stop away from the entrance. It’s also on the Seven Seas Lagoon and has a beautiful view to the Magic Kingdom and Contemporary Resort. Also, being set on the water just seems nicer for some reason.

--Tip: Magic Kingdom fireworks can be viewed, with the music, at the water sprite (boat) area in front of Gaspirilla’s.

RELAXING FEEL: Despite it’s Victorian-inspired design, the Grand Floridian has a relaxed feel with a huge airy lobby, and breezy walkways between the buildings that house the rooms of the hotel. I think this is also aided by the slightly smaller proportion of kids vis-à-vis other WDW resorts. Don’t get me wrong, there will be kids running all over the place, but as a percentage of the total population it will be somewhat smaller than in other resorts.

--Tip: if possible ask for a dormer room (generally 5th floor at a corner). The ceilings are vaulted and they have ceiling fans that are great to keep air moving in the room when you’re in or out.

--Note: the bathroom amenities at the Grand Floridian are different from other places on property (they’re the spa amenities). Still H2O brand, but you can actually squeeze the bottles and the product inside is nicer. Great shampoo!

SHOPPING: The shopping here is more refined than almost anywhere else at WDW—Park or Hotel. My favorite shop (the men’s shop) is on the second floor where you will find Tommy Bahama, Kahala, Polo, Quicksilver and other non-Disney, higher-end brands. There is a companion store on the first floor for women. There is also a Basin White (which would make my allergies explode, so I’ve never been in) and a store with more child-oriented merchandise.

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER:

SELF-PARKING: Can’t do much about this based on the property, but it sucked. The self-parking is across the street from the hotel. That means a 10-15 minute walk from your car to your hotel in Florida humidity (which in late June means bring your squeegee because you’re going to sweat).

--Tip: Valet is $12/night and includes in-and-out privileges. The Valet service is also great. I would totally do this if I stay there again.

ROOM INTERIORS: The Victorian-style is not my favorite, but that notwithstanding, the room interiors could be refreshed. The TV has been updated to a flat screen, which is nice, but everything else could use a bit of a refresh too.

SHEETS: This is a note about EVERY WDW property! The sheets are so crisp you could practically spread some pate on them and serve them as canapé. Now, every linen at WDW goes to a central plan for processing, I think they just need to either amp up the fabric softener or tone down the starch.

FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS
Valet park for sure. Avoid the boat launches to the Magic Kingdom at night, lest you get stuck behind a traveling water show that is like a very early version of the Electrical Parade. The Monorail can get you to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and other hotels on the loop.

Always make dining reservations—at hotels and in Parks, in advance! As early as possible!

Room Tip: Dormer rooms (5th Floor corners) have higher ceilings. If you're concerned about firework noise...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank oxman78
Reviewed 14 September 2012

My family and I vacationed to Disney World in March and all I can say about the Grand Floridian is WOW! The grounds are stunning, and well maintained and the rooms were large and clean. The attention to detail here is impeccable and really put that Disney touch on our stay. The convenience of staying here was also a huge plus with the monorail running right though the hotel. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for hidden mickey's/minnies etc. in the carpet and wallpaper.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family