“Great experience but not as "perfect" as I expected”
Review of Discovery Cove

Orlando Attractions Roundtrip Transfer
Ranked #2 of 459 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Discovery Cove is a one-of-a kind experience where you can interact with bottlenose dolphins, feed tropical birds, play inches from a family of otters and even walk on the Grand Reef floor-all in one day. Between adventures, recharge with unlimited island fare and refreshments. With this all-inclusive experience your family can unwind, explore, learn, and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We had been looking forward to this experience for over a year - my boys (ages 11 and 8) love everything about marine life. I had been told by many people how great the experience was. While we did have a good time, there definitely could have been improvements. First - customer service was lacking. There were some staff that were nice, but others that definitely lacked in customer service training. I expected "Disney" like customer service and was met with sub-par employees. Secondly, as mentioned in many previous posts - the lines were long for food. I got there early, so I didn't wait for breakfast. But the line for lunch was long, regardless of what time you went. They need more employees serving lunch or more places to get it. Third - the sunscreen did not work. I constantly put it on and yet I got badly burned. I was under the impression that you had to use the provided sunscreen; however, next time I will be bringing my own. That being said, the experience was great for my children. The absolutely loved the snorkeling and looking at the animals; it was crowded, but that didn't bother them. They also loved feeding the birds and having them land on their arms and head. They also loved being able to get any snacks they wanted and all the slushies that they could drink for the day! While other reviews talk about how expensive the day was, I thought it was very reasonable if you are planning on going to Seaworld and Aquatica; you have unlimited access for 14 days to those parks. Overall, I'm willing to give the park another try and my boys are already asking when we will go back. I'll just be sure to bring my own sunscreen this time!

Write a ReviewReviews (15,806)
All reviews
in 136 reviews
"including alcohol"
in 123 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Second visit to Orlando in two years and after missing out last time this time around we were determined to visit Discovery Cove.

Booked and confirmed in Feb we were literally counting down the days.

Arrival and check in was straight forward enough then the issues started. We headed straight for breakfast to find a huge line formed waiting to be served. A 30 min wait wasn’t what we expected.

After breakfast we headed to the Grand Reef where not a single sun bed was to be found anywhere, groups of chairs reserved with towels everywhere you looked would remind you of a cheap package holiday to Spain , after searching for a good half hour without success for at least one bed I decided to try guest services to see if they could help. Another 20 mins of waiting and finally they came up with two beds. Almost an hour gone !!

Admittedly the Reef was great fun for the kids were they could swim with the stingrays and other assorted fish.

As our dolphin swim was booked for 3.30 we decided to have lunch early. The restaurant was again full and another with a huge line formed on both sides we had endure another 30 plus min wait to be served.

With the best part of 15 mins remaining until our dolphin swim we headed to the check in. We were them told there was a slight delay and we didn’t begin the dolphin encounter until 4pm

Without question this was the absolute highlight of the day, the trainer was absolutely superb with the two kids, his performance which I’m sure he has done countless times was slick and very professional, he answered all the questions the kids threw at him and gave them as much time as possible. It truly was a dolphin encounter as you get to swim with pet and even feed and kiss the dolphin.

This ended at 4.30 when you were them led into the photo studio as such to choose your photos etc. Extortionate pricing considering how much the day actually cost !!

By know it was 4.50pm and with the grand reed closing at 5pm we headed to the other end of the cove which stayed open until 5.30pm.

All in a pretty disappointing day , including the dolphin encounter I’d say we were actually in the water 2.5 hours. Too much time spent queuing up for breakfast and lunch and waiting for the dolphin swim.

The food was standard and par for the course.

If I could make a suggestion it would be to limit the number of sun beds to groups or indeed number them individually? Also perhaps a allocated time for breakfast and lunch as you would find in the busier resorts etc.

Would we go again ? Not a chance, yes the dolphin encounter was incredible and something the kids won’t forget but the rest just seemed like your regular Orlando themed park.

7  Thank crossguns
Gabe A, Guest Relations Manager at Discovery Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I am sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. We do try very hard to ensure that every guests experience is a memorable and I apologize that may have missed the mark during you visit. I will be reaching out to you on TripAdvisor to solicit more feedback on how we might improve the guest experience.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Discovery Cove is a great experience for families. We did snubaing and swam with the dolphins. Our 13 year old had a great time! The lazy rivers are the best we have experienced and we spent hours there. It is a great environment for children to experience snorkeling in a controlled environment for the first time. Highly recommend if you have not been.

1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I took three teenagers and they said this was their favorite place in Florida. I always rank places by their bathrooms and this place was amazing. The employees were constantly mopping the wet floors in the bathroom and it was sparkling. The food was awesome. The kids loved the included icees. The water in the reef was cold but the other areas were very warm. Such a beautiful place felt like we were in a tropical island.