“Not what we expected”

Ranked #8 of 457 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This vast complex houses two theme parks (Universal Studios, for movie rides, and Islands of Adventure, for thrills), an entertainment/nightlife complex (CityWalk) and a variety of hotels. You can buy passes for admission to the parks or just visit the bars, restaurants and stores on the CityWalk.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Our first trip here and our last. We enjoyed the shows and movies however all the theme rides were simulated. We ate at the Monster Cafe and was very impressed by the food!! Very delicious, great portions and decent price. The park was very busy but the wait times were not long at all. It is a very long walk from parking lot to the park. We paid extra for better parking and it was well worth it! I would much prefer one of the Disney parks over Universal.

UOGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Universal Studios Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hi Lanny,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about our parks. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our shows and attractions. I am glad you enjoyed dining at Monsters Café! It is awesome when you are able to come on a day that is not too busy so you can experience everything our park has to offer. I hope you had a chance to see Universal's Horror Make-Up Show, it sounds like this would be something you would enjoy! The Premier parking is definitely worth getting for that shorter walk at the end of the day. We hope you chose us as your vacation destination again in the future.

- Molly

Write a ReviewReviews (33,222)
All reviews
in 1,484 reviews
"wait times"
in 763 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Had a great time. Plan on spending the whole day there. Try and get there as early as possible. Try eating earlier or later than normal lunch hours to avoid the crowds. A lot of the rides are now 3D which can make you not feel good more than a regular old fashioned ride. The impromptu shows that pop up on the streets are definitely worth watching. The Harry Potter area is definitely worth the time and crowds. If the lines for the rides are long and you don’t mind your party being split up, try riding as single riders. No matter your age, you will have a good time.

Hi,

I am so happy to hear you had a great time with us! You can definitely knock out a few rides in the morning if you get there earlier than most people. Same goes for eating, if you plan around 'normal' meal times, things will be a lot smoother for you. I love the pop up shows! My favorite is the Beat Builders, so I hope you had a chance to watch them. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is beautiful and an amazing place to spend some time in while you are here. Thank you so much for your review and I hope you visit us again soon.

- Molly

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We visited during the Universal Mardi Gras celebration and really enjoyed the New Orleans courtyard area and food booths and especially the jazz music. The music was wonderful as was the street dances. It was very family friendly and enjoyed by young kids, teens, and grandparents.

Hi Vicki,
I'm so happy to hear how much you enjoyed our Mardi Gras celebration at Universal Studios Florida. I hope you were able to try some of the Cajun-inspired cuisines. My personal favorites were the jambalaya and beignets. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I hope you're able to return for another visit soon!

Reviewed 6 April 2018

If you have small children, teenagers or if you are still young at heart, this is a great place to have fun.

1  Thank Sharon D

Hi Sharon,
Thank you so much for sharing your review. I'm thrilled to hear how much fun you had while visiting Universal Studios Florida. I hope you can return soon for another wonderful time.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This park is set up as studio sets:
1. Harry Potter, Diagon Alley
2. Production Central: Transformers, Minions, Shrek etc.
3. New York: Jimmy Fallon, Revenge of the Mummy, Blues Brothers
4. San Francisco: Fast and The Furious (not yet open)
5. World Expo: Men in Black, Fear Factor Live
6. Springfield: The Simpsons and Twirl N' Hurl
7. Woody Woodpecker Kids zone
8. Hollywood: Horror Makeup Show

If you are a Potter fan, this is by far the best part of the park! The buildings, the visuals, and all the parts of the book that come to life before your eyes in the buildings and while you wait for rides are truly amazing! The shops have very creatively recreated shops from the book and food and merchandise brings the book's magical items described in the book to life as well! So much fun discovering.

Gringots bank was stunning inside and out. The giant dragon sitting atop the building breaths real pyrotechnics every 15min and will briefly roar to give you warning or time to prepare your cameras.

Word of caution: wizard wands are roughly $40 for non-working replicas, and about $54 for "optical interactive" capable wands, each! Also the wizard robes were roughly $115 each! Our kids, 7yo and 9yo really got tired of waiting in line for all the spots where their wands would perform "magic". However, no matter the temperature, they wanted to wear their robes and enjoyed the hidden want pocket inside their robes! Not sure how much use the robes will get back home.

Hi Lindsey,
I'm so happy to hear how much you enjoyed strolling through The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Florida. My favorite part is all the hidden details located throughout. I am sorry to hear that you experienced a bit of a wait trying to use your interactive wands. If you would like to discuss this further or provide any additional details, please call 407-224-4233 option 4 or email GuestServices@universalorlando.com. Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I hope you and your family can return soon for another magical experience.