“Great Customer Service”

The Papermakers Arms
Reserve with TopTable
The Papermakers Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Plaxtol
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Set in the beautiful Kent village of Plaxtol, half way between Tonbridge & Sevenoaks this relaxed friendly gastro pub serving local & seasonal food & drinks wherever possible. Now our 5th year running that we have been awarded Trip Advisors ‘certificate of excellence’ Serving breakfast Friday, Saturday and Sunday as well as our excellent value set lunch menu with 2 courses for just £11.50 or 3 for £13.50 available Tuesday- Saturday Noon to 2.30. Our A La Carte menu is also always available or why come on a Sunday and try one of our fabulous roasts ? Roaring log fire and a warm welcome await you, so why not come along and experience one of Kent’s best kept secrets ?
Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

This is a very friendly, welcoming pub serving good food in one of Let's loveliest villages. We have eaten quite a few times here before but as it is a bit if a drive from our home we don't get too visit very often. What made our meal particularly memorable yesterday was the reaction of the owner to a meal that my partner didn't finish. Being a vegetarian, she picked the wild mushroom risotto. I had the Chicken Supreme. Whilst dish was excellent, full of flavour and a good looking dish, I could tell my partner was not so enthused by her meal. Ultimately she only ate about half of the plate. She wasn't sure if Arborio rice had been used. Coupled with a lack of 'bite' to the rice and the Risotto not being very creamy, she found the entire dish disappointing. Being typically English, we didn't say anything! However? within a few minutes of the players being removed the owner returned, worried that my partner had not eaten the entire plate. After explaining our concerns he graciously gave us a cheese board free of charge
His entire manner during the conversation was one of real concern for us. It was very much appreciated and a true example of great customer service. I have to add that our starters were excellent. Will we be going back? Of course we will. Even without the free cheese board we would return, not just because of the great food but also customer service of this level needs rewarding.

1  Thank ANDYELBAC

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Super welcome as usual made even better by the new manager, Rachel.

It’s a lovely little menu with local ales and some tasty lagers, always great to see local spirits as well like Greensand Ridge with the right tonics!

Dogs are also well looked after with a tickle and a treat, thanks again!

1  Thank frostymanuk
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Really a gastro pub with the gastro pub fare. The setting is nice and the service was friendly even if on the slow side, which is okay if you are there having a leisurely Sunday lunch but may be frustrating otherwise. The menu is a little bit eclectic with British and other influences but it is all well done. A nice place for a Sunday stop.

1  Thank Marc G
Reviewed 2 December 2017

Christmas dinner, pre booked and £10 deposit paid, when we turned up (25 people) said we hadn't booked !!
You really couldn't make it up !

Suggest if you book, you should phone the day of the reservation to double check !

Graham P, Owner at The Papermakers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2017

Hi Top Dog,
Your review is not quite correct. Yes there was a error in your booking, in that in a recent move over to Open Table the booking for this event did not get moved on to the new computerised system. Thus very embarrassingly we were not prepared for your booking. I personally explained that this was completely my fault, at no point did I say you hadn’t booked, we provided you all with hot snacks without charge, and offered to do the booking on another evening convenient to the group for half price. Furthermore nobody had paid a deposit of any amount as you claim. I have now gone through all of our bookings for the Christmas period to make sure this won’t happen again.
I was pleasantly surprised how understanding the group was in this mistake, personally I was mortified that this could have happened. It is a shame you were unable to express your feelings to myself last night rather than on an anonymous public forum

Reviewed 6 November 2017

Sunday lunch - great atmosphere, friendly staff and efficient service. Roast beef and veg second to none, as was the pollock; Thai chicken curry very good. Fruit crumble excellent, chocolate brownie average, ice-cream good.

I'm giving this 5 stars as we were all bowled over by the main courses - except the roast potatoes!!!

The roast potatoes were, frankly, terrible. Instead of being fluffy on the inside and crispy and tasty on the outside, they were bland, tasteless, and soggy, with a slimy texture. Usually unforgivable but, as already stated, the rest of the main courses were fabulous.

And shame about the local cider - which tasted like it was 10 parts lukewarm water to 1 part cider.

We've been before and we'll be back again!