“Confused cook.Poor food”

Ranked #10 of 95 Restaurants in Ilkeston
Price range: USD 6 - USD 19
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hidden away in the picturesque village of Stanton by Dale sits the Stanhope Arms; a traditional English pub famous for quality cask ales and fine home cooked food, from fresh local produce. We maintain a stylish drinking and eating establishment whilst retaining the traditional pub features of the lounge and upstairs restaurant. A place worth travelling to for all the family. Clearly the quality and choice of food is very important as is the level of service. Our team is committed to delivering on all three counts. The Stanhope is well known for excellent food and this is a reputation we intend to uphold. The beef we sell is well sourced locally. The meat is hung for 28 days and the quality is exceptional. The specials board which accompanies the menu has a selection of other home made dishes. We also recognise that value is important to our customers and we have introduced an enlarged range of discounted traditional meals.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Our party of 4 called in for lunch Tuesday after Easter. Starter of mushroom soup for 2 arrived watery, slip and tasteless. My creamy mushrooms on brashetta was very tasty apart from the coupious amount of balsamic glaze that was unessaccerlly smeared all over the plate. I’m no chef, but in my world cream and vinegar donnot belong on the same plate!!!
My main of two cheese chicken wrapped in bacon served on a bed of creamed leeks was horrendous. The chicken was so dry it actually crumbled! The leeks had zero seasoning and were totally tasteless. Two of our party chose the slow braised beef and commented that it was also dry and tasteless.
Being the first people in the pub and ordering lunch, I cannot blame the kitchen being under pressure for sending out such disappointing food.
I was offered a full refund for my main meal and I was happy to take it due to only eating a very small amount as even the “hand cut chips” did not meet expectations!
This establishment has all the makings of being a great little local where you can meet friends for food and drink but sadly this was not our experience.
This pub has the potential to be a great place to eat and is nice and convenient, all that’s needed is good chef that takes pride in the food that is served to customers!
On a positive note, we found the staff friendly and welcoming and prices reasonable should the food have been up to basic standards.

Ryan S, Manager at Stanhope Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Hi Tracey, thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to hear our food was not up to our usual standard. Please be assured that this is not the typical feedback we receive. I have spoken with the kitchen to ensure this will not happen again. I hope that you are willing to give us another visit in the near future.

Many thanks

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Called in after trying to book,we were told it was booked up but we would be ok walking in,had a lovely meal in quaint surroundings.very tasty food at a very reasonable price,staff very courteous and helpful.will come again.

1  Thank jeremy e
Ryan S, Manager at Stanhope Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the great review - glad you enjoyed dining with us! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2018

We went here to celebrate a birthday and got a table near the bar. There was a wide choice of food and we ordered steak and ale pie, chicken wrapped in bacon and scampi and chips. The food was delicious and plentiful and was accompanied by a pimms and lemonade and excellent pints of Unicorn and Bass.

As we went on a Wednesday evening we joined the quiz and the night was topped off by us winning. The staff were very friendly and provided sandwiches and chips towards the end of the quiz.

All in all, a really pleasant evening in a beautiful old pub and we're aiming to be back again soon.

1  Thank Paul_derby0360
Ryan S, Manager at Stanhope Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2018

Thanks for the great review Paul, hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Didn't have to book a table. Arrived about 6.30 p.m.Very friendly greeting from the bar staff. Shown a table upstairs which was ideal because I do like to eat my meal away from the pub area. Ordered a steak and was asked how I would like it done. I asked if the chef could do it as crispy as possible on the outside but medium rare for tenderness. I was asked if I wanted a sauce with it. I asked for beef gravy if it was available. No problem with both requests. The wife ordered a vegetarian burger. Meal arrived and everything was perfect for both of us especially the rib eye steak. Plenty to eat. In fact, wife took a doggy bag home. Dessert/pudding just great. Will definitely eat here again. All staff members were great throughout the whole of the evening.

Ryan S, Manager at Stanhope Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Hi Eddy, glad to hear you enjoyed your experience, we pride ourselves on great food, great drinks and great service. Thank you for the great review, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Lovely pub excellent food would recommend the Sunday roast ! Also specials board always something different to chose from.

1  Thank chris b
Ryan S, Manager at Stanhope Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Thanks for the great review Chris, see you again soon!