“Nice place with good food and comfortable outdoor ambience ”

Sunshine Seafood Cafe
Price range: USD 10 - USD 33
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 November 2015 via mobile

My family has dinner at the Sunshine Cafe. It is a small, cozy, place with a good seafood menu. The outdoor balcony is comfortable with dim lighting and Italian music playing.

Our waiter was efficient but not overly doting. He made a good recommendation on the paella, which I enjoyed. My wife and daughter liked the sea bass special very much. The gumbo was good, but I had to pull a few fish bones out of my mouth.

The menu is limited and somewhat overpriced. Seafood dishes are nearly $30 each. The food is quite good, but not outstanding. The service was quick and pleasant, but not exceptional.

Overall, it was a fun experience, but very expensive relative to the quality of the food.

2  Thank Scott D

Reviewed 24 November 2015

Food is absolutely exceptional. I eat at restaurants all over the country and I can honestly say this is one of the best meals i've ever had. We had a party of 8 and everyone agreed. Don't miss this restaurant if you're staying on Captiva!!!!

1  Thank doncsharp
Reviewed 22 November 2015

Although this resturant is a little unprepossesssing in appearance the food is first class. We turned up on a Friday evenig without a reservation and could not be seated on the veranda but they had a table inside which actually was interesting because we could watch the chef at work. Totally calm and efficient in what was a very busy service. The waiters were also very professional.
The seafood was very fresh and well cooked. The spicy shrimp were the best in our whole 3 week trip to Florida.My advice, book in advance to avoid dissappointment!

1  Thank BLH55
Reviewed 21 November 2015

We've been to this restaurant before, and we've always really liked it. Our dinner last night was not the experience we had expected. The location is perfect if you are staying on Captiva, and the wine list is good. My dinner was just okay (grouper special), but my husband really enjoyed the paella. The staff acted a bit like they didn't want to be there on a Friday night. There is an open kitchen, which typically means you can watch the chef in action, but last night it meant you could watch the staff using their iPhones. A couple came in for dinner just after 9pm, and they were told the restaurant was closed. There were four couples still eating, so it seemed the couple could have been accommodated. I mentioned to our waiter that the Dining Guide advertisement says the restaurant is open until 10pm, and he shrugged his shoulders. Our overall experience was fine because when you are on Captiva, everything is fine, but there was definite room for improvement.

1  Thank RBMok
Reviewed 17 November 2015

We have been past the Sunshine Cafe several times and were not impressed with the outside appearance, but we finally decided to try it based on the TripAdvisor reviews. We were not really impressed. There was only one server (not sure if this was normal or if someone called in sick?) and although he worked extremely hard, the service took a really long time. He really does not deserve a bad review and I hope the management takes responsibility for this - I would hire this guy in a second to serve at my restaurant, it was just too much for him. I ordered the seafood gumbo to start but never got it so I can't comment on it. I had the tuna which was good and my wife had the Mahi special which was quite dry and only OK. On the bright side, the wine selection was good. The entrees are a bit pricey and we may have caught them on a bad night, but our overall opinion of this restaurant is just OK.

2  Thank UpstateTraveller33