“Always the family favorite day of Vacation on the Pontoon Boat!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Backwater Marine (The Fishing Store)

Backwater Marine (The Fishing Store)
Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Always the family favorite day of Vacation on the Pontoon Boat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

My family has rented a Pontoon boat for the day for the past 3 years. We LOVE The Fishing Store. They are great people and always provide a clean boat at a fabulous price. We have 3 kids and my husband and I pack up a cooler and fishing stuff and go out and wander around, stop and swim, fish and cookout!

Great Experiences all 3 times! KUDOS to The Fishing Store!

Visited June 2011
7 Thank Gayanne H

Round Rock, Texas
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Great pontoon boat rentals and Awesome service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Every summer, the highlight of our trip to New Smyrna Beach is renting a pontoon boat with extended family and spending the day at Disappearing Island. The boats are well maintained and reasonably priced. The owner is awesome and very helpful on local sites. Disappearing Island is in the river across from the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse. We usually spend about 4 hours on the island. The children have a blast catching hermit crabs, small fish, and other sea life. Many times we have the island almost to ourselves. The water is crystal clear for swimming. We then load up everyone and travel up river to one of the local restaurants . We always see dolphins and when we are lucky a few manatees. It is a very relaxing day!!

Visited July 2011
9 Thank flatwins
Orlando, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Good Place for Pontoon Rental”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2007

My family and I are staying at Ponce Inlet for a week and wanted to rent a small boat to sail around the Intracoastal. I did a little research and found Backwater Marine (also known as The Fishing Store).

They rent 20 foot pontoon boats that seat 6 to 8 adults. Cost at the time was $175 for four hours and $225 for 8 hours. This cost includes fuel, but does not include tax.

The experience was very positive. I called beforehand to make sure a boat was available. They prepared the boat for me so that when I arrived at the marina, all I had to do was fill out the paperwork, pay, and put my items in the boat (sandwiches, fishing gear, etc.). They didn't keep my driver's license or anything like that.

You are given directions and a small map that describes where you may and may not travel. The boat is NOT for going into the ocean, and you should not try to head out Ponce Inlet into the sea. It was very hot, but the breeze helped a bunch. We didn't catch much - but still it was enjoyable. Along the way are very large and expensive homes, and at least two marinas that you can pull into for lunch or to use the bathroom. By the way, the boat does NOT have a bathroom. There are also numerous sand bars that you can stop and walk on - one called "disappearing island". Once side of the route is very natural and the other is homes.

The marina was nice and the folks there were nice. The person who rented us the boat was polite, and nice to my 9 year old daugher. The bathrooms were not nice - no A/C and not very clean. They rent rods, sell bait and generally can equip you with whatever you need. I did not note whether they sold food or not (we brought our own).

You should have some experience and piloting a boat as they do not give you much of a lesson. The boat does have life-preservers, emergency equipment etc. The map they provided plots out about a 1.5 hour course, so you still have plenty of time to anchor and fish, or go other places. They clearly mark areas that you should not go into.

Overall, an enjoyable experience. There are other places that rent similar boats for similar prices, so make sure you check around. But this one was very nice.

16 Thank wwills