“Good food and decor; questionable sanitary practices”
Review of Mellow Mushroom

Mellow Mushroom
Ranked #35 of 125 Restaurants in Mount Dora
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: Serving unique pizzas, calzones, salads, hoagies and a good time. 24 taps of craft, local and core beers, full service liquor bar and always a fun atmosphere.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We stopped by this location to place a to-go order. While we were waiting for our food to be prepared, I walked around, looking at the restaurant and its décor. When I looked into the food preparation area, I was shocked to see a young man with a full beard tossing pizza dough in the air. UGH
Beards in food prep areas are unsightly; totally unsanitary; and equally unacceptable.
In some locations, food handlers are required to wear mesh nets over their facial hair.
It was nauseating, thinking about particles of whatever the young man had eaten, falling into the pizza dough, carrying with them untold quantities of bacteria.
Never again.

Mellow M, Manager at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

I apologize for your experience. We appreciate the opportunity to make this right. Would you please provide your contact information to mountdora@mellowmushroominfo.com so we can discuss this further and make it right. Appreciate your time.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Since we had a really good experience a couple of weeks before, we decided to give them another try and see if anything, how consistent they may be. Now that we have, I have to admit that this is a great pizza restaurant and they make it look easy. We were visited by Chuck, who is the owner and Audrey, a manager often and they actually remembered us from our previous visit. They and their staff did a great job and took very good care of us yet again. One thing that I noticed was how the staff really support each other and work well together, like they are way more than just co-workers. How refreshing that is! We also discovered that they serve much more than just pizza and the appetizers are excellent. We come for Happy Hour, but stay much longer. We'll look forward to coming back again, I'm sure of it. Note: I did see some reviews that are not that positive, but I can tell you that both of our visits have been very good and the staff cares about making people feel welcome and it shows. No one is perfect, but these people give it their best - it's a good culture there.

Lee! Thank you so much for the kind words. We definitely aren't perfect, but we love what we do. SO grateful that you noticed that! Can't wait to see you, Mary, and Alan again soon!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We’ve passed the place several times and never stopped. Finally we did and the service and food were absolutely spot on! We will be back again and real soon

Thanks for stopping in after all the times you've driven by. Glad we could deliver on the promise! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

Whenever I come here, it takes forever to get food. I am always alone as a business traveler but it's a long evening. Food is pretty good but inconsistent. Likely my last visit.

I am truly sorry about your long wait time. We hear you loud and clear and have worked hard the last couple of weeks to improve our speed of service. I hope you will give us another shot next time you are in town. Please ask for Kevin our General Manager or Katie our Bar manager. Either will make sure you are taken care of.

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

Poor service starts this review. If you enjoy long waits rude staff and overpriced pizza then this is your place. Neat place but that's where the fun stops. I will say salads and sides were OK but everything else left us disappointed.

Mellow M, Manager at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

We appreciate your feedback. I hate hearing that your service was poor and rude. We will be sure to take this insight and share with the staff the improvements that are needed.