“All about the glam” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #171 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Massachusetts
“All about the glam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

My wife and children were there for just one night pre-cruise. My kid's mouths dropped on seeing the crowds, the beach, the decor. They thought they were in a movie set. If you've read other reviews you know that this is no luxury hotel: it's very modest. But it's got all this 1930's feel to it that makes it really fun to be there. The staff was friendly and helpful in every respect: beach towels, a place to keep bags before check-in, even umbrellas during a downpour. Rooms were fine and were a lot quieter than we expected. We were a little disconcerted to find a female guest passed out in the hallway early in the morning, but my kids thought it was funny and pinned a note to her that said "Get better friends!".
There's probably no better location on Miami Beach. We'll be back!

Room Tip: we had quieter rooms in the back.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BROC4
zero11382, Director of Sales at The Colony Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for the great review - we are pleased to hear staff was accomodating and that your family had a good time! I was concerned to read about the women passed out in the hallway, yet not surprised since you get a lot of that in South Beach - your kids have a very good humor, I could not stop laughing from reading the message they left her on the note!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Celbridge, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I stayed here last July 2011. We stayed for 4 nights. 4 guys just there for a good time. The location is basically the only attraction to this hotel. Its right on the beach and near a lot of restaurants. But the customer service is terrible. The guy behind the desk seemed uninterested and half asleep. Theres no safe in your room either which was a big deal for us as we have passports and a lot of cash traveling from Ireland. So we had to use the safe behind reception each day which was annoying. There is no pool either although the beach is across the road. Theres a bar in the hotel but that is a complete rip off, however most things in miami are. The rooms are very small and basic. Probably wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, I'm sorry that the Front Desk person you encountered seemed uninterested, please contact me at sales@thekenthotel.com and let me know the details of your stay, specifically which room you were in - I'm concerned about the safe situation since all of the rooms at the property should have an In-Room safe, and from your comments yours did not seem to have one.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

My friends and I booked two rooms there over this past weekend for an event that was happening on South Beach. We checked in on Thursday, and by Saturday there still hadn't been any housekeeping! We had to specifically request for someone to clean our rooms, which is unacceptable in itself. We also had to seek out housekeeping daily for clean towels and washcloths. We also experienced a WATERBUG infestation in one of the rooms. After much complaining, we were finally moved to a room across the hall (it was our last day not to mention). In order to be moved to the other room across the hall, we had to wait for the occupants there to leave. They requested and was granted late check-out, and still hadn't left by 12:30. We had to leave our bags with the front desk clerk, who was very helpful by the way, because they ( the occupants) were not adhering to any time constraints. On our last day, given all the trouble we'd encountered, plus a long night before, we requested a late check-out. I was told that I could not have a late check-out and that we needed to be gone by 11:00am! He said that people were waiting and he could not accommodate us. But we had to wait for the prior occupants because they had been accommodated. What was the difference? We were waiting on their room, but they were not rushed. And we should not have been either. Perhaps the most disturbing, was the behavior of the General Manager, Carrie Lage. On the only day that we received housekeeping, our event tickets were STOLEN from our room! When I bought this to the attention of the front desk clerk, he called the housekeeper who denied it obviously, and then the General Manager. The manager, Carrie Lage, informed the front desk that she would not refund our money for the tickets and also expressed her disbelief in our credibility! I could not make this up. I asked to speak with her via telephone since she was already speaking to the clerk. She said that she couldn't speak to me because she was busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I asked when she would be returning so that I could discuss this with her in person, and I was told the next day from 9-5pm. (Oh, let's not forget to add that the police were called to the hotel and a police report was taken.) I left the hotel right before 1pm the following day, but before I did I requested to speak with Ms. Lage. I was told she was not there yet (I believe she was in the hotel now, due to what happens later). I was then told that she came in at 3pm and left at 5pm. She had not tried to address this serious matter that happened in her hotel at all. On our final day, at check-out, I tried to speak to her one last time. The front desk clerk that was on duty that day, went to get her to come out, and he said to me verbatim, "She's not gonna talk to you about the incident that happened the other day." I asked him to repeat it because I could not believe my ears. So I asked him if she specifically said that she had no intention of talking to a guest that may have had a crime happen to them, and he said, "Yes." No one could furnish me with any information for her boss. I am going to report this hotel to the Better Business Bureau, the Chamber of Commerce, and whomever else needs to be notified about the egregious behavior of this business, including but not limited to the Department of Justice. As as result of the unprofessionalism of this hotel, my friends and I had to pay a large amount at the door for the events that we planned to attend. There is NOTHING that could ever make me stay at this hotel ever again!

Room Tip: Do not stay here. Especially if you don't want your things taken or like WaterBugs!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank tiffany j

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I booked Colony Hotel through Expedia. I canceled the hotel 2 days before my stay and they did not want to reimburse me. The manager never called me back. My friends are going next weeks to Miami and I told my friends not to book this hotel because of very bad customer service.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank michelli06
zero11382, Director of Sales at The Colony Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear Michelli, this does not sound like you spoke to any employee of the hotel, I manage the Sales for the Colony Hotel and I'm usually the person whom is in charge of making this type of decision, if you called to cancel 2 days prior to your arrival then Expedia/Hotels.com does not even need to get permission from the hotel to cancel your reservation and refund you, they have a 24 hour cancellation policy with the hotel, you could have canceled the day before arrival and still should have received a refund - please contact me at sales@thekenthotel.com or 305-604-5068 extension 3010, I would like to contact Expedia/Hotels.com on your behalf so that we can have your reservation refunded as I'm sure the hotel has not charged Expedia/Hotels.com for your booking
Westville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed @ the Colony March 30th & 31st, 2 night pre cruise stay. Our 1st impression walking in was it was so clean. We were about 2 hours early checking in & Carlos was wonderful. He kept our luggage & suggested lunch. There were 6 of us, had 2 rooms & a lot of luggage. We took his suggestion & when we came back both rooms were ready. The rooms are small but we are cruisers so it did not bother us. We were in South Beach & new we would not be in the room much. We were there for the location & So Be experience,
The rooms were so clean. Housekeeping really keeps the hotel up well. There is so much to see in the area & we felt safe. We walked to South Point to see the ships leave, walked the beach & of course Ocean Drive!!
The hotel offers breakfast ($5.75 pp) but next to the hotel is Johnny Rockets. Johnny Rockets has a $1.99 special, they may not have the banner up but it was perfect for us. Just ask them. It even includes coffee or OJ (pancake, egg, sausauge or bacon with drink). Our 1st breakfast was $70 for 6 our second breakfast came to $14 after hearing about the special. Huge difference.
Be ready to pay for drinks. Be cautious of buy 1 get 1 free. I spent $25 for my Corona on Ocean Drive. Our $10 pp lunch became very expensive. If you forget anything there is a Walgreeens on 5th street. Less than a 5 minute walk.
We would stay here again, no doubt. Unfortunately there is no pool but you can not beat the value here. Talk to the staff @ check in get the inside scoop.

Room Tip: Johnny Rockets for breakfast next door. They open @ 9am & ask for the $1.99 special!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the good review, very helpful tips on dining as well, I'm shocked to hear about your $25 Corona, please let us know in the future where it was purchased so everyone else can avoid it!