“Quality but expensive”

Ranked #6 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
UK
“Quality but expensive”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This hotel is quality. Everything about it is cool and classy. Location, service, rooms, food, drink all of it is perfect. Would have like to have had a bigger room but it was fine as it was. Cant wait to go back.

One warning; I was recommended the Sunday buffet by a friend. It is excellent but at £120 per head a little steep!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank adlr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Korean first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Best Hotel in Miami South Beach, away from the touristy Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive, but in the best area of Collins Ave.
The hotel facilities were top notch, beautiful sleek designed rooms, fabulous food and great service througout.
It's expensive though, but for a couple of days defintiely worth it!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Emilio1972303631
Greenwich, CT
Reviewed 7 February 2012

My mom and I stayed in the hotel February 2012

Prior to the trip, I was able to email back and forth with reservations/concierge. They were able to accomodate all my requests except for fragrance free toiletries. They said to get those would be an additional charge. I guess paying 1800 per night was not enough to cover toiletries. So I brought my own!

I booked one bedroom suite in the tower. It was a very nice size though a little cramped for 1 bedroom suite. It was on the 32 floor with balcony. The view was both of the ocean and the city. Apparently only 2 bedroom suites have ocean front view. The 1 bedrooms are on the sides. Due to its location we had NO SUN on the balcony during the day AT ALL! Also, I found even though we were on the 32 floor, it was pretty noisy from the cars. It reminded me being in Manhattan. There is constant noise of traffic, fans from adjasent buildings. I was at Acqualina resort couple of days prior in Sunny Isles and it was completely quiet there. I also could hear music playing from W hotel at nights.

Duxiana mattress on the bed was very comfy. Phone system was great as well. Kitchen had all needed appliances. The oven was some bizarre thing that i could not figure out how to use. They had to send their service person to show me how to use it. Though he only knew how to use the burners but not the actual oven. They should have instruction manual for it! TV was huge but very few movie choices to order, which was dissapointing.

Food was delicious, all with Asian theme, but very expensive! I had free breakfast with the room, but only at the restaurant. I am in a wheelchair and talked to the manager as it's very difficult for me to get places. They were very accomodating and agreed that i can use breakfast allowance for in room breakfast.

Spa is located by the pools. It's quite small for such a big hotel. There were no lounge area to sit and relax before or after treatments, which i found odd. You change in the locker room and then come back out into the reception area to wait to be called. Change area was small as well with only steam room, no sauna :-( However, the treatment variety was very good. I got 2 different treatments during stay, one thai massage (best ever), second balinese massage (was ok). Mom's balinese massage was great (guess depends on the therapist) and deep massage was so so. Actual treatment rooms are nice. I guess they tried to overcome their no lounge shortcoming. 2 tables in each room, bathroom, etc. You can see the pools from each room. I like no music during my treatment, but could still hear music from the pools which was annoying. You get bottled water at the spa which was nice.

Mom and I went to Jungle island from the hotel. It's about 15 min ride there and back. We booked VIP experience and it was worth every penny. We got to play with lemurs, feed kangaroos, ride on tortoises, touch condor's neck and generally get inside scoop into everything.

I didn't get a chance to sit by the pools as music is too loud.

There is Asprey boutique in the hotel's lobby with some beautiful jewelry and other items!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank panthere
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We stayed at the Setai for Presidents' Day weekend in 2011. The hotel is very nice, with a very luxurious and cool feel and an asian theme. Great location, right on the beach in the northern part of south beach, and right near a bunch of other hotels that also have lounges and restaurants (w, gansevoort, shore club, Delano).

Overall, it was great, though I do have two complaints. First, the hotel, though full, felt a little dead. It lacked the happening vibe of some of those other hotels nearby. Second, the service was a little lacking. We didn't get that personalized touch that we expect for this category hotel, and while I appreciate the keeping with the Asian theme, very often the people at the front desk couldn't understand what we were saying (an vice versa) in English.

I would still recommend the Setai - the positives outweigh the negatives - but they do have room to improve a bit.

• Stayed March 2011
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Setai for a long weekend getaway. We had a very early flight into Miami and arrived at the Hotel by 9am. The front desk staff and manager worked very hard to accommodate our early arrival situation and we had a room well before the official check in time. The experience could not have been better - we stayed in a studio suite - the room was 1st class- ALL the employees were very friendly and eager to assist. We ate breakfast in the hotel every day - the food and service were excellent. We used the spa and were please - the pool area and the pool bar/restaurant was great. The location was perfect - short walk to Lincoln rd -beach area was set up nice with great service- We will return.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple