All reviewsrooftop poolsouth beachlincoln roadliving areasmall kitchenrooms are largeenjoyed my staythe hotel managerlocation is excellentolablockgalemicrowavecollins
Reviewed 18 December 2012

LOCATION = Perfect for the Social Girl/Guy coming to SoBe to kick up heels. Definitely an adult hotel.
Located @ 16/17th& Collins -- 1 block from Delano (new FDR Club), SLS Hotel (new Hyde Beach club), The Gale (the Sanctuary's brand newly refurbished sister hotel, which is very nice & chic), Lincoln Road (shopping -- new H&M), The Convention Center. BEACH 2 BLOCKS AWAY.

STAFF: Maria, Tatayana and Richard, all super friendly and went the extra mile. I arrived 7:30am to check-in & although room wasn't ready (it was Art Basel weekend -- the busiest weekend in SoBe), it was ready by 11:30am (check in is at 3:00pm). I was not charged extra to check-in, which was a nice gesture -- one that will keep me coming back to stay at this hotel.

CHECK-IN (Comments by other TripAdvisor reviewers). Yes, the check-in desk is located in the restaurant area, but its only a few steps away from the entrance. Restaurant is only open and busy after 7:00pm-Midnight, otherwise the lobby area (and hotel) is pindrop quiet.

ROOMS: My room #214 was quiet and I was home when restaurant was open & the patio doors kept the noise out (which isn't anything but people dining & chatting). Room had a balcony - YAH!! (nothing special, but just 2 chairs). Room was clean, hot water. Nice bedding -- whites and browns are the decor (like the Starwood brand hotels - Westin, etc.), and layout of room was fabulous. Microwave, sink and couch & side chair & 2 bar stools (easily could have party for 6-8 people). Resembles an apartment-style layout. The bedroom is separate from the living area. Refrigerator (mine worked perfectly - kept all my food cold).

BUGS: Never saw one. Never felt as if I would see one either b/c my room was very clean. Yes, the hotel has an older foundation, and so is all the rest of SoBe. They could use some paint, but the modern decor makes up in this department.

PRICE: During regular season (not Art Basel, not Music Festival, not Boat show weekends), I would only pay no more than $150 a night (including tax) for this hotel, simply because there are no aneminities (no pool, no gym). You are simply paying for location. But as for anemenities, you can use their sister hotel's gym & pool -- The newly remodeled Shelbourne -- only 2 blocks away & this hotel is FAB! Bling bling chandeliers, people, the works!

RESTAURANT: Didn't eat here so cannot comment. Menu looked interesting, but I ran outta time and had my list of preferred restaurants already in order.

OVERALL: I am happy, and I got what I paid for. I would stay here again. I expected the worst (based on some Tripadvisor Reviews) and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting bells & whistles. I wanted modern and clean, and this is what I got. Yes, the Delano, the Mondrian, and Lowes, etc., are flashier & more expensive hotels with all bells & whistles, but they also cost 2 x's as much. I feel I got the similar decor -- and yes, there were less anemnities, but I didn't have a problem walking 2 measly blocks to access the "bling" of the Shelbourne (which from the $$ I saved staying @ the Sanctuary I was able to use to buy dinner/drinks @ the Shelbourne LOL!).

Room Tip: Stay on 2nd Floor -- restaurant is on first floor & after 7:00pm gets lively.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank TurboKickChick
Augusto A, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear trubokickchick,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay at Sanctuary South Beach. I will make sure that the team members mentioned are recognized for their hard work and that your compliments are extended Throughout the hotel.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at aaguilera@meninhotels.com to let us know if there is anything that we can do to make your next stay even better.

Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband did enjoy our stay at the sanctuary hotel good locationa and friendly staff clean. However I have to give it a bad review because of the parking accross the street. We have an emergecy back home in Brasil and had to leave early. The hotel refunded us the money no problem however we paid the parking accross the street before for the days we planned to stay we asked the valet for our money back for the days we were not going to stay. The valet said he could not give us the money, and tried to give us other parking for other days but we live in brasil and not sure if we would come back. The valet was actualky friendly and tried to help he called his boss the boss to summarize what he said told us were not getting our money back. We called the police and they then spoke to the owner and the owner agreed to mail a check to brasil for some of our money back. I have still yet to receive the check and do not believe I will ever see it. As its the onlyplace to park if you come to sanctuary by taxi ok. But if your renting a car do not go to the sanctuary.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank AOliveria
Augusto A, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Dear Aoliveria,

Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding your stay at the Sanctuary. I regret to hear that you had to leave early, and I’m also very sorry to hear about your experience with the parking lot across the street, and we will bring your incident to their management’s attention. We hope to welcome you back in the near future to the Sanctuary South Beach

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I travel 2 weeks per month the past 4 years and come to Miami quite a bit. I constanatly have to schedule and reschedule and have long and short stays. I have been using the Sactuary Hotel the past year in Miami and the staff makes me feel at home as they accomodate all of my special needs and are private and professional. Juan is a first rate manager who can handle any situation and had given me much good advice on restaurants, flights and local transportation and has helped me with my dog a few times as well. The hotel has great aparment style rooms and cool baths and great location and with the busy good restarunatn in the lobbby, has a great vibe as well. B

Room Tip: Stay on upper level, more quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Augusto A, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear Bret, I am excited to hear about your amazing experience with us. We appreciate your kind words regarding our service level. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty and anticipate your next visit to Miami Beach. Please contact me directly at aaguilera@meninhotels.com on your next visit.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

My gf and I came across this hotel online. We saw that the location seemed to be centrally located to where we wanted to explore. Knowing South Beach, hotels there can be sketchy. We loved the concept of this hotel. The room we were given was pretty sweet. It had a living room space and a comfy bed. Breakfast was generous with cereal, fruit, croissants, bagels & juices etc. The staff was more than helpful with our questions/suggestions of what to do and where to go. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: We did not use the pool, they don't have a fitness center and also we did not use the spa.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caio M

Dear Ciao, Thank you for your positive feedback. We are delighted to learn you thoroughly enjoyed your special weekend getaway and look forward to welcoming you back for many more to come.
Please contact me directly on your next visit at aaguilera@meninhotels.com.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for a nice place in South Beach that would be a little off the beaten path (but a short walk to nice places, that would be clean, quiet and comfortable. She was attending a conference downtown starting on a Monday and we tried to sneak a weekend in on the front end of those commitments.

We arrived around 9:30 on Friday night, and found that the place is a sanctuary in name only. You must walk through a very loud, bustling restaurant. In fact, it looked more like a cool place to eat than to stay. I really wasn't sure where to go when I arrived, as check-in for the hotel appears to be a secondary concern to the greeting of food patrons. Not a big problem, just know that it's a bit loud, and when you're getting in with all your luggage, having a bunch of waiters running in and out of the front door with trays is a hassle to evade as they zoom by to serve the folks on the front patio.

Anyway, the room was groovy and clean, but the smell of all those cleaning products was way too overpowering (even with all the windows - cross vent - open) for us. My girlfriend went down front to see if there was another option. She came back with the keys to the only suite in the place. Nice! So, we wandered down the hall, and wow. Really looked nice.

Then we noticed how hot it was. I mean really hot. Then we learned that dialing down both of the thermostats (two AC zones for the long narrow space) accomplished nothing. Calls to the front desk and night manager resulted in requests for our patience after hitting a certain button on the dials, and to open the windows. I should probably add here that when I say "really hot" I mean it was about 88 degrees in the room. I should also mention that this lovely looking room, which we now realized was empty on a Friday night in season was because it had no AC, was also directly over the very loud bustling restaurant we had just navigated our way through. Open windows were not a great option for sleeping. Sanctuary, really?

Flash forward to the next morning after a terrible, loud, hot night of sleep and we were treated to more AC talk without any repair techs ever being summoned, nor was there another room options. But the most entertaining part was while the manager was in the room not fixing he AC, I asked if there was a hot water problem with the bathroom sink, and he said "no, it doesn't get any." Let me repeat that. In the only suite for the hotel, the one sink in the joint had no hot water, and that was normal. It was not a temporary problem. Curious, I asked why. He just said it wasn't done when it was built....I would have asked why again just for a giggle, but by this point, my girlfriend took over in the talking department, and by the time she was done, we had been given a nearly free night's stay, and offered a room at a sister property a few blocks away. There was only one correct answer at that point, and left The Sanctuary.

I did like the shower though, and the staff were nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrKoop
Augusto A, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Dear Mr. Koop, We apologize if the service that you received was unsatisfactory and for any inconveniences you went through during your recent stay. Our mission is to provide the best customer service and ensure our guest satisfaction. We hope you will consider coming back to us in the near future and when you do please contact me directly at aaguilera@meninhotels.com to make sure you experience the Sanctuary the way is meant to be.