“Unique Charming and Quite”

Sanctuary South Beach
Ranked #153 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I recently stayed at this beautiful small charming hotel on James Avenue,in SOBE and I LOVED, LOVED IT!
This simple Zen design hotel is in an historic Art Deco building. White, clean, bright and spacious rooms was exactly what I was looking for. I loved the cobalt blue tiles in the bathroom and the rain shower was awesome. Surrounded by beautiful tall green bamboo and palm trees,gave an exotic feeling. The green hue cast from the lush foliage reflected into the rooms and gave a calming feeling.
While the roof top pool is not really for doing laps, it was perfect for me and other guest that I spoke too.
Rectangle shaped and framed with beautiful deep purple colored Bougainville plants, gigantic palm trees and clean white furniture made it a sanctuary. Coupled with clear blue skies,brilliant sunshine and the super quite atmosphere made it perfect for relaxing or having a few drinks.
The bed linens were crisp, white and clean. Gave a very luxurious feeling. Thank you to the ever smiling house keeping staff who kept everything perfect for me.
The most important aspect of my stay was and will be the attitude of the staff. Upon arrival Maria was extremely welcoming towards me. This continued with Juan, Juan Luis (sorry I may have gotten his name incorrectly) and Leonardo Le Bron. Le Bron will go out of his way and pamper you. Always smiling, he will make sure that you have water, towels, personalizes the music for you and try to communicate to you in your language if its not English. Really exceptional.
Mr.Aguilera, the GM was very accommodating and helped me a great deal by making sure I was enjoying my stay. I never felt rushed occupying his valuable time while he assisted me and others.
I liked all the differences this little gem has to offer including the secondary reception desk being shared with the extraordinary Ola restaurant. (Best Ceviche Ever)!
If you are looking for that big hotel chain, or a party atmosphere then this place is certainly not for you. If you want something that is small, quite and unique, then enjoy.
I cannot wait to return and have a blast!
Hope my review was helpful to you in the making of your decision.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Gina M
Augusto A, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear Gina,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the atmosphere that the Sanctuary South Beach provides. We strive to provide the upmost service for our guests, and it is always great to hear when our staff is recognized. Thank you for mentioning our team members Maria and Mr. Aguilera. Ola Restaurant is one of the top rated restaurants in Miami Beach, and are known for their ceviches, and Im glad you had the opportunity to dine there. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

LOCATION = Perfect for the Social Girl/Guy coming to SoBe to kick up heels. Definitely an adult hotel.
Located @ 16/17th& Collins -- 1 block from Delano (new FDR Club), SLS Hotel (new Hyde Beach club), The Gale (the Sanctuary's brand newly refurbished sister hotel, which is very nice & chic), Lincoln Road (shopping -- new H&M), The Convention Center. BEACH 2 BLOCKS AWAY.

STAFF: Maria, Tatayana and Richard, all super friendly and went the extra mile. I arrived 7:30am to check-in & although room wasn't ready (it was Art Basel weekend -- the busiest weekend in SoBe), it was ready by 11:30am (check in is at 3:00pm). I was not charged extra to check-in, which was a nice gesture -- one that will keep me coming back to stay at this hotel.

CHECK-IN (Comments by other TripAdvisor reviewers). Yes, the check-in desk is located in the restaurant area, but its only a few steps away from the entrance. Restaurant is only open and busy after 7:00pm-Midnight, otherwise the lobby area (and hotel) is pindrop quiet.

ROOMS: My room #214 was quiet and I was home when restaurant was open & the patio doors kept the noise out (which isn't anything but people dining & chatting). Room had a balcony - YAH!! (nothing special, but just 2 chairs). Room was clean, hot water. Nice bedding -- whites and browns are the decor (like the Starwood brand hotels - Westin, etc.), and layout of room was fabulous. Microwave, sink and couch & side chair & 2 bar stools (easily could have party for 6-8 people). Resembles an apartment-style layout. The bedroom is separate from the living area. Refrigerator (mine worked perfectly - kept all my food cold).

BUGS: Never saw one. Never felt as if I would see one either b/c my room was very clean. Yes, the hotel has an older foundation, and so is all the rest of SoBe. They could use some paint, but the modern decor makes up in this department.

PRICE: During regular season (not Art Basel, not Music Festival, not Boat show weekends), I would only pay no more than $150 a night (including tax) for this hotel, simply because there are no aneminities (no pool, no gym). You are simply paying for location. But as for anemenities, you can use their sister hotel's gym & pool -- The newly remodeled Shelbourne -- only 2 blocks away & this hotel is FAB! Bling bling chandeliers, people, the works!

RESTAURANT: Didn't eat here so cannot comment. Menu looked interesting, but I ran outta time and had my list of preferred restaurants already in order.

OVERALL: I am happy, and I got what I paid for. I would stay here again. I expected the worst (based on some Tripadvisor Reviews) and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting bells & whistles. I wanted modern and clean, and this is what I got. Yes, the Delano, the Mondrian, and Lowes, etc., are flashier & more expensive hotels with all bells & whistles, but they also cost 2 x's as much. I feel I got the similar decor -- and yes, there were less anemnities, but I didn't have a problem walking 2 measly blocks to access the "bling" of the Shelbourne (which from the $$ I saved staying @ the Sanctuary I was able to use to buy dinner/drinks @ the Shelbourne LOL!).

Room Tip: Stay on 2nd Floor -- restaurant is on first floor & after 7:00pm gets lively.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank TurboKickChick

Dear trubokickchick,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay at Sanctuary South Beach. I will make sure that the team members mentioned are recognized for their hard work and that your compliments are extended Throughout the hotel.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at aaguilera@meninhotels.com to let us know if there is anything that we can do to make your next stay even better.

Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband did enjoy our stay at the sanctuary hotel good locationa and friendly staff clean. However I have to give it a bad review because of the parking accross the street. We have an emergecy back home in Brasil and had to leave early. The hotel refunded us the money no problem however we paid the parking accross the street before for the days we planned to stay we asked the valet for our money back for the days we were not going to stay. The valet said he could not give us the money, and tried to give us other parking for other days but we live in brasil and not sure if we would come back. The valet was actualky friendly and tried to help he called his boss the boss to summarize what he said told us were not getting our money back. We called the police and they then spoke to the owner and the owner agreed to mail a check to brasil for some of our money back. I have still yet to receive the check and do not believe I will ever see it. As its the onlyplace to park if you come to sanctuary by taxi ok. But if your renting a car do not go to the sanctuary.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank AOliveria
Augusto A, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Dear Aoliveria,

Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding your stay at the Sanctuary. I regret to hear that you had to leave early, and I’m also very sorry to hear about your experience with the parking lot across the street, and we will bring your incident to their management’s attention. We hope to welcome you back in the near future to the Sanctuary South Beach

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I travel 2 weeks per month the past 4 years and come to Miami quite a bit. I constanatly have to schedule and reschedule and have long and short stays. I have been using the Sactuary Hotel the past year in Miami and the staff makes me feel at home as they accomodate all of my special needs and are private and professional. Juan is a first rate manager who can handle any situation and had given me much good advice on restaurants, flights and local transportation and has helped me with my dog a few times as well. The hotel has great aparment style rooms and cool baths and great location and with the busy good restarunatn in the lobbby, has a great vibe as well. B

Room Tip: Stay on upper level, more quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Augusto A, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear Bret, I am excited to hear about your amazing experience with us. We appreciate your kind words regarding our service level. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty and anticipate your next visit to Miami Beach. Please contact me directly at aaguilera@meninhotels.com on your next visit.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

My gf and I came across this hotel online. We saw that the location seemed to be centrally located to where we wanted to explore. Knowing South Beach, hotels there can be sketchy. We loved the concept of this hotel. The room we were given was pretty sweet. It had a living room space and a comfy bed. Breakfast was generous with cereal, fruit, croissants, bagels & juices etc. The staff was more than helpful with our questions/suggestions of what to do and where to go. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: We did not use the pool, they don't have a fitness center and also we did not use the spa.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caio M

Dear Ciao, Thank you for your positive feedback. We are delighted to learn you thoroughly enjoyed your special weekend getaway and look forward to welcoming you back for many more to come.
Please contact me directly on your next visit at aaguilera@meninhotels.com.