All reviewsrooftop poolsouth beachlincoln roadliving areasmall kitchenrooms are largeenjoyed my staythe hotel managerlocation is excellentolablockgalemicrowavecollins
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Stayed for four days right after Easter. Had a pretty good stay overall. The hotel is located very close to the beach, and Lincoln Rd. on a quieter side street. It definitely had a quieter crowd staying there, which was what we were looking for. We arrived very early because of an early morning flight into Ft. Lauderdale and the front desk checked us in at about 11am which was nice. We asked for a 2nd floor room, but ended up on the first (probably due to the early check in, which was an ok trade off).

The rooms are very big for South Beach. Fully stocked wine/beverage fridge fit a lot of stuff nicely with a little rearranging. Room was clean and comfortable. There were some little things that like no hangers, a mini ironing board, and no access to ice without calling to the front desk which were inconvenient.

The first floor rooms was pretty dark, even in daytime. If we returned I'd want to make sure of having a second floor which got more sunlight. The air conditioning in the room certainly worked, maybe even too well. At times the room was very damp, which seemed to be due to the AC. The shower/toilet area was a little wacky. There was no partition/curtain dividing the shower from the toilet. It was a cool looking design, but the problem was when you actually showered, water got EVERYWHERE.

Over The Sanctuary is a good hotel to stay at if you are a couple looking for a good quiet place to stay in normally crazy South Beach. We didn't try the restaurant, but it smelled damn good. Maybe next time.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor. More sunlight.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis C
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback from your recent stay at the Sanctuary South Beach. We have constantly been upgrading our hotel facilities to improve our guest experience. I apologize if this interfered with your stay. I am gald that you were able to take advantage of our prime location in south beach and we look forward to having you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

Checked in for a 2 night stay March 2012 and was nicely surprised. Valet is across the street but they brought all of our bags in immediately. My miniature pinscher Ms. Moneypenny also felt right at home. Spacious rooms with modern living area and kitchen made it easy to enjoy an in room martini. Mp escaped into the dining room one night but everyone was very understanding. Lol fantastic restaurant by the way right in hotel. At least 5 different types of ceviche. Beds were comfy. Bathtub very deep took a while to fill but really enjoyed it after some hard shopping. Nice quiet street felt safe for walking Mp at any time. Great location, just few minutes to everything we wanted. Continental breakfast was included, good selection! Also came few min late to breakfast one day and lovely staff person made me a tray to take to our room! Bar delivered drinks and snacks to rooftop pool for happy hour no problem. That day we had it all to ourselves. Love this place! Will return in future. Thank you Sanctuary!!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Binla

Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback from your recent stay at the Sanctuary South Beach. We appreciate all feedback so we can continue to improve our guest's experiences. I am glad our staff was accommodating and that you were able to take advantage of our prime location in south beach. We look forward to having you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

My initial reaction to this hotel was positive. Yes, it is a little quirky that you enter through the restaurant, but the location is great (close to Delano, Shore Club, etc) and on a quiet street. While the entrance to the hotel area is a little dark and a tad grungy (a trend that continues throughout), the room itself is quite large. I liked that it one large flat screen TV (though no HD programming) and other smaller TV in the bedroom. The living area also included a fairly functions mini kitchen where we were able to keep our drinks cold.

What you will quickly notice upon inspecting the rooms (and property throughout) is that this hotel is not just dated but tired - - clearly in need of TLC. The grout in the bathrooms are moldy, the windows are covered in paint spatter, the TP holder was hanging on for dear life and the list goes on.

A few things that really moved this hotel form "Questionable" to "Avoid" were:

- Our hotel room was skipped by room service. Upon check-out, the Ast. Manager suggested that maybe we had told them not to clear or had put the DND signup. Total BS.
- The pillow was over stuffed and hard, too much so for me to sleep on and I actually just slept with my head on the mattress. My request for a replacement was never addressed, not even a phone call to let me know there were no other options.
- Service: While one Ast. GM really did try to help, was apologetic and did try to compensate us for our problems, our experience with the rest of the statf was anything but helpful / friendly.
- When checking out, another couple came down to complain of a "massive leak" (it was a rainstorm). The Ast. GM immediately offered to discount one of their nights, as they had done with us. It became clear that this hotel's M.O. is to provide a discount when things go wrong (which I can assume is frequent) as opposed to just dealing with the root problems.

Overall: This hotel could be a fantastic destination hotel with some TLC and staff training/replacements. But, under the current circumstances, I suggest avoiding this one.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BrentLooney
omartorell, General Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thank you Brent for your recent review of Sanctuary South Beach. We apologies for some of the issues you had concerning your request and your room, I have brought of these issues with the corresponding departments in order to avoid this again. As for the leak, this was an isolated incident, though this has now been fixed and will no longer effect operations. I hope you will join us again in the future; in fact, we would love to extend a preferred rate as a repeat guest. Please contact me directly at omartorell@meninhotels.com.

Regards,
Oscar

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We got a suit for just over 120/night, which was good, the room was clean and lots of space. It was handy to have a small kitchen and sitting area. The shower was clean and everything worked. It was somewhat strange the set up of the hotel, all the doors to the hall way are glass so it doesn't feel as private as I would have liked and too many people staying there left their blinds open yuck. The resturant looked nice although we didn't eat there. The roof top pool is not really welcoming as they offer pool side dinning, so didn't really want to jump into the pool while a table of 8 was enjoying their meal. The location was nice and although there is a lot of construction going on around the hotel it was quite and we felt safe. I would stay and recommand to friends, but warn them.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We went down to SOBE for a girls trip, thinking that we'd get a bargain hotel for the low price. We arrived to find a swanky boutique hotel that offered us a spacious clean suite. Only a block away from the beach and two blocks from shopping, what a perfect location.

I went down to get breakfast, and wanted to bring some back up to the room. Without having to ask, I was offered a tray and the clerk jumped up to get the elevator for me. The breakfast was what I'd expect for continental. Coffee, juice, pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc. All of it was very fresh.

On our second night, we called down to get a taxi and not only were we taken care of on that front, we were given tips on where to go off the beach area. Ivan even made sure (two days in advance) that we'd have a ride to the airport when we left.

When the time came to head home, our ride was there right on schedule, didn't even have to call.

Definitely felt like we got the VIP treatment without the VIP price. I will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: The couch folds down to a comfortable twin sized bed.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends