“Great place”

Sanctuary South Beach
Ranked #151 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I recently stayed at Sanctuary on business, and I must say that my stay was very pleasant.
Front desk staff was very helpful and room was very nice. One thing I noticed was that my room was a little dark, but then got moved a room upstairs which was a lot brighter.

Location is great and very quiet. You can walk everywhere, so if you are not planning on leaving the south beach area do not rent a car.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet place with a personal touch.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 April 2011

We chose this hotel to be near relatives vacationing at a nearby hotel on the beach, and because there was availability at a reasonable rate during a busy period. After reading somewhat mixed reviews we felt prepared and found what we expected. The location is great, and once road construction on the street is finished the overall atmosphere will surely improve. Our first floor room was larger than expected and generally clean. The air conditioning did not work very well, so it was a little stuffy. The courtyard where the entrance door is located can get busy with restaurant guests seeking the restrooms at the back, plus other traffic from staff and hotel guests, so there is a closed-in feeling and need to keep the door and curtains drawn. This aspect would not be an issue in a second floor room. We took drinks up and checked out the roof at night - it is a great spot but lacking because the pool is missing/under construction, and one half was undergoing complete renovation and could not be accessed. When finished it will likely be wonderful. The hotel staff was courteous and took care of our very few problems in a helpful way. All in all a good experience and we would go back.

Room Tip: would have preferred a second floor room
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
omartorell, General Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to see that you share in our vision as to what an amazing finished product our hotel will look like when we complete renovating our pool and the construcion out front in finished (crossing our fingers, but should be done in about 2 weeks). As for your AC issues, feel free next time to contact the front desk as we have a maintanence staff on site to fix such issues. Visit us soon so you can see our our fully renovated pool.

Regards,

Reviewed 4 April 2011

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone the pics of the hotel are bogus, my boyfriend and I stayed here on a mini vacation, although the room appeared to be decent, the air condition was very loud, the staff was very nosy, did not seem to care about all the noise they were keeping up in the early hours, we had a view of a wall with very little sunlight,but to really top off our trip. I had a really nice shirt that I was goon wear out on the town Friday evening but changed my mind, they cleaned our room Saturday morning, sunday before check out my shirt was no where to be found we searched our luggage high and low, searched the closet, under the bed, with no success I called front desk who told me they never had this happen before and I told them neither have I needless to say my shirt is gone, so if staying here be aware of your belongings.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

My deepest apologies for your recent issue at our hotel. We have a very dedicated staff, most of whom have been with us for many years and take guest privacy and security as our top priority. Furthermore, we have cameras on site to prevent such occurances. Rest assured we will follow up on this matter. In regards to your view, we are a boutique hotel located 1 block away from the beach thus giving our guest the privacy of a private apartment away from the noisey streets but the comfort of knowing the beach is a few steps away, unfortunately, this does come at a cost of ocean front views. Please let me know if you decide to come back to Miami and I will personally handle your reservation and stay.

Regards,

Reviewed 20 March 2011

We stayed in this hotel in Feb. and stayed there for 4 nights...

when we arrived and wanted to check in, we had to wait for about 10min until the guy from the front desk came - after we asked the staff who's responsible...

we were 4 people to stay - the hotel was informed- but still we had to ask for additional blankets and pillows...we got the bedding but without covers..when I asked for covers the guy from the front desk told us they don't have covers for additional beddings...after arguing we still didn't get any - from that point I was done with the hotel...

The bathroom could have been cleaner....

The hotel also charged an amount on the credit card which we could't find on the bill and have no idea what it is for...

I never experienced such a poor service...I do travel a lot and always stay in a 3*-5* hotel and know what I can expect..this service is definitely not 4*...

The suites are actually really nice and the location is great.

The restaurant seems to be very good, but I refused to go there for dinner because of the hotel service...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank applemaniac

Dear Guest,

We apologize for any inconvenience that this move may have caused you during your recent stay. This case was an unusual occurrence at the hotel and can assure it will not happen again. We thank you for choosing our hotel for your family's stay and hope that you will give us another opportunity. We will be happy to offer a VIP arrival and preferred rate. Thank you.

Sincerley,

Reviewed 15 March 2011

The Sanctuary is a hidden gem. It's got the perfect location, one block from Collins Ave and the beach, but without the constant noise. The rooms are very large for Miami and excellent value. They don't get a lot of sunlight, but that worked great for me, because in combination with the black-out blinds, I slept fantastically well. My only complaint is that the staff are not very professional and don't pay too much attention to you - they are quite friendly though once you find someone. Btw, it has free, fast WiFi - so essential these days, yet so many hotels choose to charge for it...

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends