“AVOID! We were conned like many others”
Review of Piccola Cucina

Piccola Cucina
Reserve with OpenTable
Piccola Cucina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #380 of 1,184 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Price range: USD 10 - USD 40
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between Washington and Drextel
Description: Piccola Cucina is coming to Miami with Philip Guardione’s Cusine. After working in lauded restaurants across Europe, and Piccola Cucina New York, Guardione chose Miami Beach, in Espanola Way to open an intimate restaurant inspired by his homeland of Sicily. Walking into the restaurant is like stepping into a jewel box. The subtle, elegant décor lets the vibrant tastes and colors of the food and wi...ne shimmer and shine. After a few years focused entirely on traditional lunch and dinner menus, the native Italian team at Piccola Cucina has expanded their hours, converted from a restaurant into an osteria, and refocused their menu. Rather than stop by every so often for a robust meal, the small-plates, seafood focused menu allows for more frequent tastes and sips. Piccola Cucina is more than a dining destination; it’s a trip to Sicily.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Disaster of a meal. The worst of our whole 2 week America trip.

SERVICE:
Quick to persuade you to eat at the restaurant, service very slow once seated. After waiting over 10 minutes with menu closed ready to order, nobody came until I called (not a busy place - 1 waiter was flirting with a girl eating solo on the table behind us most the evening).

Waiter came over with a still & sparkling bottle asking which we’d prefer of the 2. Not asking if we want water. Made the mistake here thinking the water was free. DON’T ACCEPT WATER . We were charged $8 per bottle at the end.

Prices for some food not on the menu. Asked waitress for price (you can probably guess one of our many problems we had here coming up....)

Food was very poor. Neither of us are fussy eaters yet all we could taste was salt in both our dishes. Waiters never checked how food was. Very slow to take order, to deliver food, to clear plates, to bring bill (took 3 times of asking & 15 minutes before I got it)

The bill was a shocker. We were charged $6 more for the dishes than what the waitress initially said (the owner said that the person we asked was just a drinks waitess. She didn’t know the correct prices... how is that our problem!?)

We were also charged a ‘cover’ fee. We were charged $24 for water we were given the assumption was included (they initially charged us for 3 bottles when we had 2)

The most annoying is the gratuity. They charge a compulsory 18%... then ask for a tip. I’ve tipped 20% at every restaurant in the US so far on our trip. But the service has warranted it. Here the service, food and mistakes were terrible. I didn’t want to tip 18-20%. Yet I was told the 18% was compulsory. I had no choice.

So overall, for 2 main course dishes of noodles with salt, 1 glass of coke and water we were charged $120.

While there we saw other people querying their bills and leaving looking angry too....

AVOID THIS AWFUL PLACE. There are many incredible restaurants in the area.

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

Visited tonight great vibe, good 2 for 1 wine offer Promoted they had gf pasta as we walked by. Do not eat here if you are coeliac looking for gf pasta. They served wheat pasta not gf. The waiter was clear I needed gf pasta when I ordered, the waitress that served us had no clue. They tried again, when I questioned the spaghetti on my plate which they advised was wholewheat and did serve gf pasta second time but it was so undercooked it was awful. No apology given and no supper for me.
I’ve rated this for me being coeliac.
The plus side my partner had a really nice meal of seafood pasta, so if you’re looking for good seafood pasta he recommends it.

1  Thank Teresa B
Reviewed 27 February 2018

very expensive restaurant and very small portions
Bad experience
don't go there if you like true and generous italian food

Reviewed 19 February 2018

Well located on Espanola Way; we were talked into trying it by a persuasive and charming host. All in all, our meals were pretty good (not exceptional or memorable). Service was not very good and the prices were high. Given there are so many options in the area, we would not likely return. If memory serves, an automatic 20% gratuity is included, plus a space on your credit card slip to add more. Ugh.

All in all, it was OK, but rather disappointing for the price.

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

This restaurant was excellent on everything but the price. The cost of ice tea was $20.00 for 32 ounces. I had the fish stew and salad and two ice teas refilled x two. I can recommend the restaurant but beware of the cost.

1  Thank alto2nova