“Glaring Mistakes”
Review of Sagamore

Sagamore
Ranked #91 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 26 September 2007

I just returned from 4 nights at the Sagamore. Having stayed at the Delano and the Regent (now Vincii - go figure!), we decided to try a new place. Let's get the bad out of the way first:
The hallways are in a word DISGUSTING and in another word, for the hotel management, DISGRACEFUL. How can you spend countless amounts of money on art and flat screens and not rent a carpet cleaner? All cache that this hotel hopes to achieve will be lost unless these problems are addressed. The elevators are the same: leave the wonderful confines of the lobby and journey to your skankily carpeted hallway on the stinky and dingy elevator of doom! No worries - once you traverse these and get to your room the reward is swell (although we did have the same problems others describe with getting bath products - most hotels are crazy about replacing a bar of soap if you use it once...not here! ) Also - If you are not going to have turndown service - don't say that you have turndown service - simple really.
Despite all of this - a lovely quiet, clean room (there is irony in the fact that the hotel prides itself on its eco-friendliness - perhaps the hallway carpets are a habitat for some endangered creature allergic to soap!) well appointed, friendly staff, great food at Social (although the end by the pool STANKS!) great mojitos, nice pool, and personal attention. Now if the owners could get the carpet cleaned we'd be in business!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
HennyMiami, General Manager at Sagamore, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2007

Dear reader,

The carpet replacement project started. New carpet has been placed in 2 out of 6 hallways.
We anticipate this project to be completed in the next few weeks.

Henny Schaeffer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,911)

Reviewed 24 August 2007

stayed in one of the suites with my family, which was more than adaquate in terms of size. The staff were incredibly helpful especially the front desk and the pool attendants. Such a great place!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2007

Here is the email that I wrote the manager, Henny Schaeffer, re our hotel experience. After 1 week, he has not responded. This should satisfy any questions you may have.

Dear Mr. Schaeffer:

I am writing to share my experience at your hotel with you. There were many good points about our stay that made it very enjoyable; however, there were some very negative things that happened that I felt you should know about.

First of all, I would like to compliment Elisa Avellana's exemplary service. She was very helpful and kind in arranging reservations for us, and all of her picks turned out to be wonderful. We encountered no trouble whatsoever in this aspect of our stay.

However, probably the most upsetting point of our stay was our check-in. I had been warned about this hotel on tripadvisor.com that our room might not be ready when we checked in. However, since I am a patient person, I resolved that if this happened it would not be a big deal. Instead, when we checked in, our problems were of a different nature and two fold.

1) Fernando, the person who began to check us in, said that the room rate was $450/night. I had booked the room for $375/night. When I explained that I had communicated with staff specifically on this point, he said I would need "proof" to check in at that rate. First of all, this is insulting. Second, I asked if I could use a computer (since I had email correspondence from one of your staff proving the rates and fees she had quoted me), he said that you all had no business center. Finally, he agreed to let me use the computer in front of him to print out the email. He thereupon agreed to check us in at the rate we had booked. I wonder if we had not had that email what would have happened.

2) Fernando then told us there would be a $700 security deposit on check in. This again made me very upset. In my communications with Kristine Meija, both on the phone and by email, she did not include this as a fee that would be assessed upon check in or any other time. I can forward this email to you if you like, but the hotel should have my printed out copy. I began to feel like the Sagamore was trying to scam me. I asked to see the manager.

At that point, a man named Erik came out. He apologized, but gave no explanation, and also made the insulting comment that "we realize that a $700 deposit can be a lot if you are not expecting it." I proceeded to explain that it was not the amount, but the principal of the staff not being straightforward in whatever way you want to put it. Erik eventually reduced this fee to $150, however, he did not have the best attitude about it, and made no real attempt to make up for all of the trouble. We had been travelling for 12 hours, and we did not expect to be waiting an additional hour to get to our room. Additonally, since the check in was not perfect, no assistance was called to help us with our bags.

We decided not to attempt to contact any one else about these problems during our stay, since we were apprehensive that we might encounter additional service problems in that event.

The rest of the problems we had were smaller in comparison, but certainly not representative of the "VIP" service that the hotel claims to give. One, the restaurant and the elevator by the restaurant smelled so bad that I had to hold my nose when I passed to keep from getting sick. We had planned on having dinner with local friends at the Social, but when I called a day in advance and asked for a table away from this smell, the staff could not "guarantee it." We ate at the Blue Door at the Delano instead; it was great. We were not the only ones who had a problem with the smell; I talked to other guests who were staying at the bungalows by the pool, who said the smell was awful day and night.

The first day at the beach, the staff was helpful in getting us towels to cover our chairs and to dry up with. The second to last day, apparently the hotel ran out of towels. When I asked for more, the beach attendant (who was female and blond) looked shocked, gave me attitude, and said she'd get some from the pool area. She never came with any.

One day, the guest staying with me asked a maid if he could get some towels (she was standing outside of the room). When he closed the door, he heard some rucous, and looked out the door through the peephole. The maid was mocking him to another service person, including making faces at the door.

I tried at one point to bring the champagne from my mini bar down to the pool. Even though there were many others at the pool who had actually been given chill buckets to have their champagne at the pool, the bartender said that I was not allowed to do this, and that if I opened the champagne I would be charged a fine. I could only order champagne directly from the bar.

When you pay thousands for a hotel and spend money at its lounge, and pool, etc., you expect to me treated well, and sometimes your hotel failed completely to do that. We liked certain aspects of the hotel, but we are unsure as to whether or not we would recommend it to others.

Stephanie E. Swing; stayed 7/24-7/29

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Stephanie O
HennyMiami, Henny Schaeffer, General Manager at Sagamore, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2007

We have been in contact with Mrs. Swing both via e-mail and telephone. Not as speedy as we should have for which I apologize.

The feedback from guests in general is very helpful as it assists with the constant re-focus needed to operate the property to perfection. We encourage our guests to share their experiences and tripadvisor comments are reviewed and discussed on a daily basis.

The operational issues brought to our attention have been dealt with. To name a few, additional supplies have ordered and repairs to a vent system completed.

Mrs. Swing has not experienced the hotel in the manner we would have liked her to. We hope to see her back on a future trip to Miami; she promised she would and we look forward to it.

Warm regards,

Henny Schaeffer

Reviewed 31 July 2007

Interesting experience staying at the Sagamore. It is relatively small compared to the surrounding hotels - right in art deco area - next door to the Delano.
Very stark, white, marble, chrome - lots of modern art around. Pretty well laid out.
The rooms are great - largest rooms in miami beach I guess. We had adjoining rooms for (4 travelling). large loung area, with sofa, huge plasma screen tv, - v small balcony. Bedroom good- another plasma tv -adequate bathroom.
Pool area nice and has it's own beach area - good attendants - make sure you get a sunbed, towel, lounge cover.
Now the downside - despite the ultramodern, clean main reception area - the carpets on the main corridors are horrendous - dingy, stained - awful. Several loungers by the pool were mouldy -you are given a lounge cover - but still.
Staff were generally helpful and very polite. Had a couple of small probs with faulty fittings - very speedily dealt with.
Stll recommend this hotel -good location, comfortable accomodation - surely the management will deal with the carpets/loungers.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 13 July 2007

Three friends and myself stayed at the Sagamore for 3 nights- June 22-25. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!! We seem to have run into the same problem as others as mentioned in their review, with our room not being ready when we arrived. But, because it wasn't ready we were upgraded to a fantastic BUNGALOW!! It was HOT! We were thrilled when we walked in and saw the balcony, living room, flat screen, kitchenette and (best of all) the iTower for our iPods. Then, we noticed the spiral staircase that lead up the bedroom and bathroom with seperate shower and bathtub (great for 4 girls!). We also enjoyed our second balcony on the upper level and the second flat-screen in the bedroom! We were so thrilled with our bungalow that we decided to have a party for all of our friends who were visiting South Beach (but staying in different hotels). The maid staff was great and very helpful and the front desk staff was great because they 'hooked' us up with a fantastic bungalow. The only complaint that I had was that they closed the pool for two nights for private parties and no hotel guests were allowed! Boo! I've been to South Beach several times and I would recommend this hotel based on cleanliness, friendliness, and location (beach access and close proximity to Ocean Dr. and Walgreen's).