3,370 results
All reviews south beach aveda products pool area ocean view beautiful hotel chairs and umbrellas oceanfront room cab ride private beach hotel restaurant beach staff lincoln road valet parking marlon armand wedding cano
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Wow! Yesterday I visited the spa had a wondeful massage from Carlos. He is so professional. After that I really enjoyed the company of my facial and pedicure technician Maria A. Rodriguez. She as well did a wondeful job. At the beach, there was no chairs left and Niko very kindly got a me a cushion and helped me pick a perfect spot to get a tan, always so kindly. As for the service Pedro G was always aware of my needs, he was quick and gave awesome customer service. Marlon and Elizabeth were very kind as well in attemding my needs for food. I asked for something in soecific and they went out of heir way just to please me. Thank you too all of them amd the whole staff for being so kind! Loved my stay. Will come back again

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2018

My first visit to The Palms was perfect and I will return. I needed a long weekend getaway from the snowy northeast. The Palms sits directly on the beach/ocean with fabulous views from the oceanfront rooms. The beach and pool chairs are high end with towel and drink service. There's a lovely and safe boardwalk that runs directly behind the hotel so guests can walk and jog throughout the day. I visited the Aveda Spa and had a massage with Michelle. I get a lot of massages at home and on vacations so I know a good masseuse when I have one. Michelle has excellent massage technique and the spa rooms are high end. The music is spot on. The steam room was relaxing after a day in the sun. The spa manager Hailey is professional, friendly, and accommodating. The hotel rooms supply free Aveda bath products. The on site restaurant has excellent food and service with a lovely covered porch with tropical fans overlooking the pool area. The Palms is an easy shuttle ride from the Miami airport. There is a Starbucks and a liquor store one block away. You can get to South Beach in minutes. If you need to make a special request for your reservation, call manager Erwin, he's excellent. I highly recommend it!

Room tip: Ocean front was wonderful
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This gem of a hotel and spa is tucked away on “middle beach”. Even though it was Spring Break the beach itself wasn’t crowded. The pool and the grounds are exquisite. You’d hardly know you are in Miami Beach, it feels so secluded. The hotel is lovely, the restaurant was wonderful. The rooms are well appointed and clean. Very quiet.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank sls1958
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Just returned from a Spring Break trip to The Palms Hotel & Spa. It was a nice hotel located on Miami beach.

Good Things:
- Nice location right on the beach
- Room was clean and decent size
- Staff was friendly
- Concierge was helpful making us dinner reservations and even found us out in pool area to make sure we knew things were confirmed.
- Pool area is a decent size and service overall was decent. Looked like a lot of new staff had been hired and still getting trained.
- Clean lobby, nice restaurant and outdoor sitting area.
- Nice gazebo outside area that appears to be for weddings. (was happy there wasn't one going on while we were there).
- Manager sent a welcome note and complimentary bottle of wine to our room.

Opportunities for improvement:
- The lounge chairs by the pool need to be replaced. They are old, super uncomfortable and many have broken parts, caps missing, etc.
- Invest in some pads and covers for your pool side chairs (like all other nice Miami hotels have/use)
- Power wash the pool area each night to remove all the bird droppings, spilled drinks from the previous day and other debris. It was dirty every day.
- Improve beach sitting area (quality of chairs, the setup, etc). See how the Edition Hotel next door does it for tips. Also the staff out on beach was not a real motivated crew. Had to seek them out for everything (table, umbrella, drinks).
- Change the pool towel card process. Don't understand why you need to provide cards for a towel. If you have a room key (thus a guest) you should get as many towels as you need.
- Do something with the elevators. They are extremely slow and some days only one was operating. Took forever to go up to room and back.

Overall the hotel is nice, we had a nice time and I'd recommend staying there.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom C
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I wish we could live here - it did turn into our home for a week. We spent February and March fighting storms in New York and while we love our NY home, a few feet of snow and no power for a week made us itchy to get some sun and relax. We've stayed at other $$ places in Miami, and while we don't penny pinch on our rare beach vacations, we almost always had things to complain about ... until we found the Palms. This was our third perfect stay.

When we go on vacation and hope to have nice relaxed smiles on our faces the whole time, the last things we want to see are crowds, business suits, complainers, frowns, or people rushing all over the place. You seem to pay extra for that at other big Miami hotels ... BUT ... There's some magic at the Palms where people are smiling, and the staff seems to pull those smiles out. There's some major human nature that spreads relaxation. If people don't have much to complain about, they don't complain; If they have enough good food and atmosphere, they're content and slow down. Its all contagious and I know that the management instills this in their staff. They seem to help each other effortlessly and efficiently.

Everybody smiles and says hello and they all have name-tags with their name and the country they're from. It's not a big deal for a hotel to customize a dish or a drink, or try to accommodate little requests, but it can mean a lot to the guests and they really understand that here and the staff really goes above and beyond. We watched them make people happy for a week.

Last time we stayed they were doing construction next door but it didn’t bother us. I can imagine the noise was probably a negative to some, but I’m happy to report that it’s been completed and the two hotels on either side are quiet ones. We were a little worried that we came down in the middle of spring break, but this hotel and the neighbors are not spring break hotels. I think the one next door actually prohibits spring breaker parties and it was not an issue at all… BUT when we took a walk about 10 blocks south there were multiple hotels with million-watt booming music that shook the boardwalk. They actually had generators running outside to power the parties. When I was out in the waves swimming at the beach at the Palms you could actually still hear it in the distance…. Not on the beach though. We ran into some people that had to leave their hotels down there and found their way to the Palms for some peace and quiet. It’s an oasis from the bustle here.

But onto the meat and potatoes:
I've reviewed these before but now after three stays I have to do it again
*Pool is awesome- not huge but big enough. I went in every day and it is open 24hrs - never saw anybody abuse the freedom and it can be really peaceful in the evening. The staff comes around and brings food and drinks only until about 6:30. Take the time to say hello, chat and you'll get great service.

*Beach – It’s amazing how hard they work to set up all the beach chairs and umbrellas every day and the beach is pure Miami goodness at its best. You're paying to be here and they deliver! Nice lounges and little tables, runners bringing drinks and food to you in minutes. Again, take the time to talk to the staff and they look out for you.

*The SPA - Leslie had a massage and loved it. Really nice people. Say hello to the nice lady Yoli.

*The restaurant- Essensia. They have really great food. It's farm-table gourmet quality stuff. It is amazing food. Personally I'm a simple meat and potatoes guy and would eat here every night if it was a little different, but I can't really explain why. We ate there once and had a snapper dish and a filet mignon and they were awesome. There's 3 menus in the resort for the restaurant, tiki bar, and inside bar so I think for the most part you can order from any one of them and our favorites were more on the bar menu: salad with grilled shrimp, the burgers and fries are perfect (ask for the fries well-done and they're great), Korean beef tacos have such an awesome taste!, wings, homemade potato chips, chips and salsa, and all the fresh fruit. I had so much fresh fruit this vacation, I feel so healthy. All those rum punches....
So no complaints on the quality of food at all. It was really good and never had a bad bite. I even had an urge for a hot dog on the kids menu one afternoon and offered to crouch down or ask someone to borrow a kid but they had no problem serving me a hot dog off the kids menu and in the middle of a big bite I remembered it was snowing in NY... oh well.. I'm happy right now.

*Breakfast: The breakfast food is always great. They have a huge buffet and everything is always fresh. It’s not cheap to do the whole big breakfast every day but it is worth it when you do. Hell I spent $30 bucks on breakfast in Milwaukee the other day on a business trip and it sucked compared to this … and I wasn’t in paradise.
One short story- they had "proper sausage" on an egg dish and when it came, my wife asked to send it back because it looked raw. Instead of just taking the sausage, they took the whole dish and re-made it. The second one had sausage that was red inside too so we called the manager over who explained that proper sausage is red even when it’s cooked. Ooops on our part again. It was good and we all laughed about it and I guess we owe you an omelet. Learn something every day.
I feel bad for the staff when they have to deal with the 1 in 100 person who is never happy with anything. We saw one couple who filled their plates from the buffet like 4 times and still weren’t happy with something. Saw the same people chasing a server up the beach to order a drink instead of waiting the 2 or 3 minutes for the server to come to them…. Relax already… its easy here unless you're one of them.

*Room- we always stayed in the oceanfront rooms - once on I think the 4th, and then higher. The view is great but the higher rooms have a more ocean view. They are great rooms, various sizes; the one we had this time was not big, but perfect for the two of us. The room was huge if you give credit to the large window bringing the Atlantic ocean view in. No balconies (maybe on the top floor, I don't know), but I had no complaints about the rooms in my 3 different stays here.

*Staff - the housekeeping was always nice and said hello. Room was always clean and they came and went while we were out. One night I went downstairs for 10 minutes and came back to find my wife talking to a maintenance guy in the room. Turns out the handle on the toilet stuck and she called downstairs and a guy had already come up to fix it and he was gone in 5 minutes. The valets in the front were always good for a smile and a laugh; the desk people were really nice too: When we first arrived at like 1:30 on a Sunday they said the room was not ready. Being "not in vacation mode" yet, I got upset before they told me check in time was actually 4. Oops, my bad, I guess I should have known that. Since it was a Sunday and a lot of people had just checked out, they apologized that the rooms were being cleaned and a couple of other guests had already arrived so it would be a couple of hours before they could get us one. I know you can book early arrivals and late departures if available for extra money but we didn't need that. We had a tropical cocktail at the bar and I guess I can say it was the only time I was bored the whole week. We weren't in vacation mode yet until we got rid of the NY clothes. The nice thing was that they took my phone number and said they would check with housekeeping and text us the minute the room was ready, probably around 3:30, and at 3:35 I got the text and vacation was on! Skipping to checkout there was a lady at the counter, on the phone, trying to arrange a future trip or something and she was taking forever and monopolizing the staff. The guy behind the counter caught my eye and when she turned to yap on the phone again he called me over to check me out so we didn't wait. Thanks man - that's why we like you guys.

I can't say thanks enough to Alma and Erwin when we booked our stay. I know the travel sites on the internet always pull you in, but I like to call the hotel directly if I can. This time we planned ahead by a month and were able to book a nice stay in an oceanfront room on the days we wanted. They've always worked with us nicely and did whatever they could. Last time we only had short notice and it took a little doing to get a nice room on the days we had, but they go us in and it made a great vacation happen.

We spent most of our time between the beach, pool and Tiki bar during the day and although we always plan to go do some touring, we end up relaxing on the property for the most part. Lincoln Rd is a $10 cab ride or nice walk away and we usually go there for Cuban food, but otherwise laid low at the Palms. The pool and beach area are well-kept and the staff are great. We got to know the many faces that have been there a long time. Stephanie who manages the pool, beach and Tiki bar is a pro and everything is super-well-run. She came over and said hello when we first arrived like we were family.
That’s how this place is. Her staff seems to really follow her lead and they all have great people skills. Stephanie – thanks again for the hospitality of you and your staff!

If you do end up at the Palms, say hello to the people that make things happen:
Dayron, Andre, and Armand – the great personalities and mixologists at the Tiki bar. Newcomers Luis and Tony, who took time to chat and laugh with us about the snow in NY we were missing. The guys and gals who take care of all the hard work on the beach deserve a big thumbs up. Daphne, Lara, the energizer bunny, Ned and the others rock. We met a girl named Tesla for the first time – great name! Yoli, Victor and Jessica in the spa. Delise, Jenexis, and Yele at the inside bar were awesome! Leonardo and Colleen from Columbia went above and beyond in the restaurant. Pauline in the gift shop is a favorite of everyone – she’s famous! There’s so many people behind the scenes that make this place special. Lucia was so nice to us and takes the best pictures. Jean from Haiti always came up to us after breakfast with a great big tropical smile to see how are day was going. It’s nice to see familiar faces on vacation and especially nice if they’re happy people.

Why did we take the time to write all this? Because we know people will read it and we actually ran into guests who had read my past review and ended up having a great time too. Management does a great job here and understands that a happy business thrives on happy guests and a friendly staff. We have a lot of experience with the hospitality business in NY and cringe when we see bad service, or bad value, so I’m glad we found the Palms and don’t have to worry. Let yourself relax!! We ran up some nice food and bar bills, but it’s not unlike what we would spend on a Saturday night in some dark NY restaurant, only this is vacation in paradise and that’s what we waited all winter to do. Enjoy your vacation!! Ask for some fresh cut watermelon in a rum punch on the beach and let your worries melt away … and say hi to everybody!

Room tip: Oceanfront on the higher floors are always nice.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple