“Birthday Getaway”

Miami Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #128 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 3 May 2013

My husband purchased a getaway for my 48th Birthday and chose the Miami Beach Resort. Upon our arrival (8:30-9:00 pm) and after a 14 hour trip, we were informed that our room had been sold and that there were no king size beds for the night. A rollaway was all that was available. We were upset since we had made reservations and had paid in advance. We accepted the hotels terms since we really did not have a choice and with the promise that we would be moved into a king size room the next morning. The desk clerk did give us two breakfast coupons (about a $40 value) for our inconvenience, and when she learned that it was my birthday she sent up a cheese plate and a bottle of wine. good job Christina. The hotel lobby is beautiful, but the hotel rooms and restaurants are outdated and tired (it feels like you are on the dirty dancing set). I have to say, however, that the food was very good and so was the service. The hotel has great beach access, but you must pay for beach chairs and umbrella's (another $45)..but it was well worth it. Kenny was awesome at getting us a chair down in front of the beach. We also had drinks by the pool and our server David was a blast. So overall, I would rate the hotel good and the staff and restaurants better!!!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Eduardo M, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

Dear guest,

Your review is very detailed and we appreciate you sharing your feedback with our Trip Advisor readers. We have shared your review with our staff as well and they are very excited that you mentioned them in your review. I would like to apologize for not being able to honor your request for a room with a king size bed. Although we do everything we can to honor these types of requests, we can't guarantee them.

Oh behalf of David, Christina, Kenny and the rest of the Miami Beach Resort staff, thank you for staying with us and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Miami!

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Checked out this morning having stayed for two nights with friends. Beautiful lobby, really efficient valet service and front desk staff. Room was huge with loads of cupboard space and two double beds. Decor in the room was a little old and there were holes in the net curtains. No light above the shower which made the bathroom a little dark. Apart from that we had a great stay. Breakfast was excellent as was the food in the evening. Happy hour in the bar also went down well. Lunch in the pool bar was really good value and top quality. Sun beds on the public beach were a little expensive as was the $28 per day parking charge but at the end of the day this is Miami Beach!! Would definitely stay here again if we return to Miami in the future.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Our family recently stayed at the Miami Beach Resort and Spa for Spring Break. I felt a bit like I was stepping back in time. You can see the glamour that once shone at this property, but it is long overdue for an updating overhaul. Everything looks shabby or in disrepair. The hotel has a great location, large patio, pool and direct beach access. The property is quiet and convenient to get to from the airport. But you cannot walk to anything, not even another restaurant. Taxi or car is necessary to get to South Beach. The hotel rooms are very large and comfortable, lots of extra floor space and huge closets. Funny kind of tub shower, but double sinks were handy with the family. Meals were free for our kids, but the menu was so expensive for my husband and I for food that was fair to poor that we rarely ate on the property anyway. I'm not sure what the "resort" amenities are. Seemed to be just the same things offered at any hotel on the beach. The pool was OK, beach was OK, no hot tub. Parking was annoying. There always seemed to be a back up in the lobby and at the valet. The waiters at breakfast always seemed to be fighting with one another for tables or something, and the staff at the pool were really annoying. Limited number of towels available, packed up the umbreallas and closed the pool too early for our family. Also, the property once entended further south, and looks like it was abruptly cut off from the adjacent property. There is a flimsy plywood partition that cuts off stairs and railing from the property next door that was a constant puzzle to my husband the entire time we were at the pool.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Eduardo M, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the details of your experience at the Miami Beach Resort. We acknowlege our shortcomings and appreciate you pointing them out, our staff is working diligently in improving so that each guest experience is memorable.

I would like to point out that part of our Resort amenities include WIFI connection throughout the building, newspapers (Mon-Fri), complimentary fruit samples at the pool deck served by our friendly staff, phone calls from your room to any number in the continental U.S. and unlimited access to the fitness center. I am a bit surprised about your comments regarding the hours of operation for the pool. Our Pool service hours are from 6:30 A.M. until 8:30 P.M. and the actual pool stays open until 10:00 P.M. Our staff is also more than happy to provide you with an adecuate number of towels so please accept my apologies if this did not happen.

I would love to discuss your review into more detail as I am still confused about the observations commented regarding our property being abruptly cut off from an adjacent property. I am not quite sure what area you are refering to. My e-mail is Eduardo.Moya@MBeachResort.com so please feel free to contact me at any time.

Thank you for allowing us the privilege to serve you and look forward to regaining your confidence for a future trip to Miami!

Reviewed 29 April 2013

My stay at Miami Beach Resort and Spa was average, at best. The “resort and spa” has a lot of potentials and needless to say, it is not a luxurious resort. I’ll break down my review of the hotel in strengths and areas for growth.

Strengths
• Great beach location, hotel has own access to beach. Peaceful and quite lovely.
• Charming landscape (starting behind the pool)
• Helpful general manager, Mr. Moya and helpful customer service from Christina.
• Beautiful lobby
• Cab service ready anytime
• Away from noisy city life (this is also a down factor seeing that there are no businesses within walking distance to enjoy)
• Good size room.
• Beautiful view of ocean (if you have an ocean front room)
• Dual sinks
• Good size pool and relatively clean (eye view)
• Breakfast Buffet – you can customize your own omelets with desired toppings.
• Reasonable Pricing (But see below to see if it is worth staying)

Areas for Growth
• Cleanliness – we stayed at two rooms and both rooms had stains on sheets. We were afraid to question and figure out the source of the stains.
• From the bird eye view of our room, pool is not as clean as envisioned. Large brown stains from pipes are obviously visible from the 14th floor.
• Outdated furniture: bed, TV stand, chairs.
• Carpet has seen better days. I found out through the Fire Exit Path that this hotel was formerly Wyndham.
• Tube TV? Really? I watched a $17.99 movie on a tube TV. Something’s wrong with this.
• Buffet Breakfast (if not included in your hotel, $17!)– Limited options and majority of the options are unhealthy (think diner breakfast food).
• Gym has been poorly maintained
• Basic maintenance and up keeping such as replacing room curtains (two shades of blues), light fixtures on 9th floor nearby elevator was broken, front windows show rust. These are the basics that should not go unnoticed. Everywhere I stop, I can point out of a flaw (not be choice, but obvious observation). In fact these flaws were noticed while I was: waiting for an elevator, waiting for cab, or pulling the curtains to enjoy the ocean front view.
• Location (while good for the beach) – further away from “life.” Expect to rent a car, use the cab, or ride the bus to get to South Beach. Taxi Ride is approximately $11 - $13 to and from South Beach.

I also need to mention that the hotel did not provide me with the room I requested. We requested for a king bed and I called to make sure a king bed was reserved. Hotel agreed and I was pleased. Upon checking in, we received a room with double beds. Since the hotel was fully booked and we were exhausted, we settled. We did not check into our desired room until the third night (beyond half our stay) and we had to pay an upgrade fee. When we checked out, I brought this to the attention with Mr. Moya and he was very patient and understanding to the situation. I did not think it was fair to charge me for an upgrade fee when my original request was not granted. Mr. Moya was approachable and professional and waived the upgrade charges. Along with Christina’s help, the stay was somewhat enjoyable. We truly used the room to sleep and did not enjoy any of the resort activities offered by the hotel (we did not see any activities other than enjoying the pool and drinking by the bar).

Who is the hotel for? Families on a budget or guests in town for a quick stay to enjoy the beach. If you want to enjoy city life and the busy side of Miami, select a hotel closer to South Beach.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mr_TriNguyen
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Nice hotel but needs updating as it is not in the same league as the other new hotels available for a similar price. We booked 2 adjoining rooms as we were a family of 5 and the rooms are huge with two queen size beds in each and plenty of space in the fitted wardrobes. As you will be able to see from the included photos I realised from checking in that both bathrooms had cracked tiles in them. I complained to the management as I found it unacceptable as they were very sharp, they came and taped them over temporary and I was told they would return the following morning to fix the tiles in both bathrooms.Next day nobody came til I chased it up in the afternoon when I was told both bathrooms would be fixed after we checked out. Again I was not happy as this was good for the next people checking in but what about us who had paid for a week to stay there plus not only did we travel with 3 children 1 of them has adhd and has epilepsy. I made yet another complaint to the manager pointing out when my son had a fit it would be extremely dangerous if he banged his head on the sharp edge of the broken tiles. Later that day the maintance guys came to fix them, although I was grateful it was inappropriate for us to sit there while they knocked the tiles off, replaced the tiles and regrouted them and then the cleaner came in to tidy up with the guys then movin on to the next bathroom. Afterwards we was not allowed to go in the bathroom for an hour to allow the tiles to set so we could not get ready to go out till a lot later than expected. Any decent manager would have offered a free drink or 2 in the bar for the inconvience while we waited rather than sat in our rooms.

Partial view rooms do not have safes in the room so you have to use the hotels safety deposit boxes that are only big enough for your passports and money. Therefore we had to leave most of our personal belongings like Ipad's, Iphone's and ds's in our room which made me feel uncomfortable as they are worth quite a bit of money altogether. Also the queue's at the reception were mostly busy with people checking in and out so you had to wait a while to get to your box so in the end we started taking more money out to keep with us than we usually do to save waiting to get to our box. Staff would let anybody get into your safety deposit box as long as they had a key, again I brought this to the attention of a manager. They would let my boyfriend access the box even though we have differnt surnames and he was not staying in my room as he had his own, not safe practice really if you was to loose your key. Although I had given him the key to get the money from the safe it was afterwards I realised that staff should have challenged him for my protection, this happened about 4 times and only 1 person asked to see his ID which he showed to them but as I said he was not staying in the room the safe key was registered so it was pointless to ask to see ID anyway.

Room service got our orders wrong on 2 consecutive nights, food was wrong or missing. Although it was nice when you cannot sit down and eat together it spoils it for the whole family.

Valet parking was quick and easy to use. All the staff were friendly and polite although it is a bit expensive at 28 dollars per 24 hours.

Pool is amazing and sunbeds where always available from morning to night even during spring break. The pool attendants were always helpful and brought fruit around during the day.

Beach is fab although you have to pay for sunbeds down there if you need one as it is independant from the hotel.

Restaurants in the hotel are nice, I would recommend the restaurant overlooking the beach at the side of the pool and the one where you get your breakfast. If you choose to get the breakfast buffet ask for mechelle as he is fantastic and will look after you well.

I made numerous complaints within my stay and was forever chasing up the management to no avail until our last night when Mrs Marciano finally took my complaints seriousand knocked 100 dollars of our room service and forwarded the complaints on to the main manager. On our final day she rang to say the main manager had offered us a free night as compensation and would forward us a voucher later that day which I am still waiting to receive.

As an overview I would say this hotel would do so much better if the managers were as polite and courteous as the staff below them. The hotel is in a great location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family