“Poor atmosphere with food to match”
Review of Cavalier Crab Shack - CLOSED

Cavalier Crab Shack
Cuisines: Seafood
Neighbourhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Neighbourhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Reviewed 24 June 2014

If your after a good meal with pleasant surroundings, and good service this isn't the place.
I even doubt if the seafood is fresh. This is obviously in a tourist trap and the prices match. I only ended up here as laziness meant I didn't want to walk any further for my dinner. Big mistake.
If you are in the same position, walk on. Anything else will be worth the extra footsteps.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

It is now June 2014 and this place has now been under NEW management/ownership for a few months. They need to change the name, but I will get back to that.

We usually stay at Hotel Eva whenever we visit my folks in South Beach. We have often enjoyed great meals at Bistro 1506 below the hotel. Last weekend, (May 30-June 2, 2014), we found the Bistro gone. At the time, there was no restaurant using the space. We learned that the hotel's previous owners sold the hotel a few months earlier, and took the Bistro with them opening it up at the Cavalier. So, we found them at this new location, and enjoyed a great lunch there.

I had one of their Cuban sandwiches and it was delicious! The hostess was promoting the box lunch special which my Mom was enjoying, though if it were possible, I think they should also promote their Cuban sandwiches as well.

More than once, I heard passers-by read the name "Crab Shack" and say something like: "Not in the mood for cracking crab shells right now" or "Didn't we just pass another crab shack a minute ago?". So that is why I think they should remove "Crab Shack: from their name, and just call it "Bistro Cavalier" or something else without the word "crab" in it.

They do have a beautiful hostess pleasantly inviting people walking through to stop and dine there, but so do all of the other restaurants on the block. She was promoting the specials and doing the best anyone can do, but maybe they should promote their excellent regular specialties as well. At one point, I did see her point to some of the large drinks shown in a display, as described in one of the bad reviews. Maybe they should be emphasizing the good food more than that. If they do Cuban breakfast/brunch food as well as they did when they were at 1506 Collins, then maybe they can promote that too. The Chef and cooking staff here prepare delicious food (as they did when they were at 1506 Collins) and that is quite a strong point, so if they can get people to stop in for a bite of that, then they should have the place as packed as they did at their previous location.

I think the bad reviews were likely written before March of 2014, so they might be describing the place before the former owners of Hotel Eva took it over. So please ignore all reviews written before March of 2014, and give the NEW owners and NEW staff a NEW chance.

NOTE: I clicked "Average" for special occasions but I have no idea how this place does special occasions, and this web page will not allow me to clear out my response to make it blank.
I have no idea about reservations, delivery, late night or brunch, but if I were them, then I would do delivery, and brunch, since the food is good, and they did good brunch at the old location.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We had a very nice dinner at Cavalier Crab Shack on Ocean Drive. The management and wait staff were friendly and attentive and the Greek fish dish was quite good. This restaurant apparently has changed management and now is run by the team from Eva's Bistro. We would return during another trip to South Beach.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We were on South Beach for the afternoon and didn't want to venture much further than our spot at 13th and Ocean. The first warning should have been that it was empty beside a packed patio next to it. The second indication that something wasn't quite right was that when asking for a regular sized margarita, we were pointed to a display which showed a glass the size of our head for $25. Despite the fact that the menu had reasonably priced drinks it seemed at that time of day we were only allowed to have their massive alcoholic drink. Though we did want a couple of margaritas, we just went with a bottle of beer and a diet coke instead. This may have been language barrier issues but I happen to think the server's language skills were better than he let on.

The menu is so huge that we just ordered a sandwich platter for the both of us which was equally huge. Extremely tasty but the "bun to weenie" ratio was off, meaning there was very little inside the sandwiches for the amount of bread. Great sweet potato fries and deep fried green beans.

This was our first and only meal on Ocean Drive so I was a bit surprised to see the 18% included tip so I'd like to warn customers about that.

Great potential from the kitchen but a bit of a tourist trap if you're not careful. Thankfully we didn't become the next victim.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is the worse we test in Miami.
My wife ended her dinner around 15mn before my son and I were served !!! We wait more than 30mn for 2 little hamburgers and french fries (I'm still looking for the avocado in mine ...)
They don't ask cook for meat.
We ask for a little alcohol free mojito for my son and paid $15 for ice mint and lemon !!
Let have a look on picture !!