“Definitely worth a stop”
Review of River Oyster Bar

Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: 7th Street
Transit: 8th Street Metro Mover
Reviewed 14 January 2017

Everyone ordered something different at our table and we all really enjoyed the flavors of each serving. The gazpacho was amazing, and the crab cakes were stellar, as well. everything tasted fresh and flavorful, and between my gazpacho and crab cakes, I was well-fed. My husband complained that the IPA was not good, but the other drinks were good.
We ate for a late lunch, and the place seemed to be full of other business-people and boomers-out-to-lunch. It is a small place, so it was a little loud and you have to walk in a zig-zag to get from your table to just about anywhere, but the atmosphere was relaxed, if busy. Service was adequate: I was not impressed, but neither did I feel it was lacking in any way.
I do highly recommend this place for the amazing tastes!

Reviewed 19 December 2016

We made a reservation to go to River Oyster Bar and I am glad we did. It is a small restaurant and very popular. The food was delicious and fresh. I had a scallop ceviche and a crab gnocchi dish. It was creamy and wonderful. My husband had a lobster roll and he loved it. We would go back again

1  Thank Linda E
Reviewed 16 December 2016

The food here is great but slightly undermined by less than perfect service. The oysters were wonderful, the wine delicious, the tuna and snapper absolutely perfect and the bok-choy-shiitake stir fry was crunchy and squidgy and salty and excellent. Sadly, we arrived to be greeted by a flustered and shouty hostess who pretty much arm-wrestled us into a seat at the bar despite our requests to sit at a table (there were tables free). Her promises that we would have a better time at the bar with the entertainment of the kitchen and the oyster shucking were unfounded. The chef overseeing the oysters was taciturn and glowered at us any time we dared look in his direction. The view of the kitchen simply afforded us a view into their incompetence at ensuring orders were delivered together without a lengthy wait. Case in point - my main arrived a good 30 minutes prior to my side. From my seat I could see the kitchen staff and our waiter having a 'discussion' about this and the conclusion was that I - the paying customer- was penalised because of their disagreement. Shame. Lastly, our waiter wasn't particularly forthcoming with information We asked a couple of questions about the menu which were met with shrugs. He also failed to mention the lobster specials which looked amazing - we were privy to seeing them produced in the kitchen in vast numbers but by that time it was too late. Regardless, I can vouch for the quality of the food (when it does arrive). It really is perfect. Just ignore the people responsible for getting it to you and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 7 December 2016

Food was very good, seasonings, spices, etc. However, grouper filet was only the size of my palm (I have small hands!) for $30, it was a rip off.

Cocktails were good and so were sides.

Will return.

Reviewed 5 December 2016 via mobile

Great atmosphere! We loved it! Great food and cocktails! I had the Stormy River and the Snapper filet. The smoked cauliflower was to die for! Also, the service was top notch!

Been to River Oyster Bar? Share your experiences!