“Nice hotel, but needs some work!”

Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon
Ranked #28 of 122 Hotels in Miami
San Fernando, Trinidad
“Nice hotel, but needs some work!”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This hotel is in a very nice location! Looking out your window and seeing the waterfront is a very nice touch. The rooms are nice, but in need of some work. I stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. In one of the bathrooms, the door wouldn't close unless the toilet seat was raised and the extractor fan wasn't working. The amenities are great - free parking, free internet and complimentary wi-fi, breakfast included and use of the business center at no additional cost. I've stayed in other hotels near MIA and I've had to pay for every single one of the abovementioned, so definitely a plus for this hotel. Be warned...the elevators take a very, very, very long time to go back and forth! Despite the aged appearance, this hotel is still a very good deal. I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend to anyone around the airport area.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor, so it take ages to wait for the elevator and then travel up and down, but...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Dive_Doctor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
massachusetts
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed here one night. We had four people and reserved a two bedroom suite. The suite had a living room type area with comfy chairs and a small couch and a small kitchen with a table between the two bedrooms. Each bedroom had its own full bathroom. There was also an electric fireplace which was nice. Seems a bit unnecessary in Miami, though.

There is a shuttle bus from the airport; I called for it after we got our luggage and the bus was there about ten minutes later. There is another Homewood Suites location nearby so be sure you get on the right shuttle.

Check-in was quick and efficient. The lobby was nice. The suite was clean and in good shape. We could look one window and see the pool, another, the "lagoon".

The breakfast was ok. It included some hot food, scrambled eggs, sausage, toast, pastries, juices, milk, coffee. I can't remember if they had the waffle maker. We arrived on a Saturday night so I can't comment on the evening meal. While you're at breakfast, be sure to step out on the balcony that overlooks the lagoon and check out the giant carp that swim over. Bring your room key or you'll need someone to let you back in.

There aren't any restaurants in the immediate area so, being tired, we ordered pizza from one of the fliers that were left in room.

There is a grocery store about a ten minute walk from the hotel if you need anything.

My one complaint is that the walls are somewhat thin and because it's an airport hotel, people are coming in at all hours. Running water and cans tossed into wastebaskets from surrounding rooms are easily heard. Earplugs were somewhat helpful. Despite this, I would probably stay there again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I stayed in this Hotel for 2 days 11/19/2011, 11/20/2011. I booked this hotel after I read reviews on this website. The hotel is clean and 2 bedrooms-suite is very suitable for family stay. The staff is very nice. I called hotel in the morning of 11/19 before we took flight to Miami to ask for a suite facing the lagoon, not facing the airport. The staff answered they will try and could not guarantee. When we arrived in the evening, we got the suite facing the lagoon! The hotel shuttle is very good, we called hotel at airport and the shttle bus arrived at airport within 10 minutes. The staff is very polite and the breakfast is very good. Before I left I thought about recommending this hotel to my friends for their future stay in Miami. But the departure experience total destroyed my good feeling with the hotel and changed my mind.

Here is the detail:

On the day I checked out(11/21/2011) I asked Hotel staff at front desk to introduce some shuttle providers to me
for transportation from the hotel to Cruise terminal. The Front desk staff referred only one shuttle provider
(I did not remeber driver's name, is 'Alfaro' or 'Rodolfo', or something like that. But I do have his phone number:--) and this shuttle driver gave us very bad experience at the end of my stay at Miami
and therefore totally destroyed the very good impression the hotel gave me during my 2 days stay. Before we left I talked
to the driver at the hotel lobby. Our party have 5 adults and 2 children. The driver gave me the price is $10 per adult,
no charge on kids. therefore total price is $50 dollars. We thought this price is O.K. At that time, one of 5 adults was at airport
and we asked the driver whether it is O.K. for him to pick up the person on the way to cruise terminal(The hotel is very close
to airport) and he agreed to do so but he did not told us there is extra charge for this before we took on the shuttle. However when we arrived at cruise terminal, the
driver asked us to pay him $70 instead of $50. We were all shocked by his request and asked him why. He said that the airport charged him $20.
I know this is lie since there is no such airport charge at all. we went with him all the way and did not see any airport personnel collect
money from him. It is too ridiculous. This dishonest shuttle driver insisted on asking for $20 more dolloars from us and we had no time to keep on
arguing with him.(We need get boarding on cruise ship, a cruise line personnel urged us to check-in our luggage. ) so I just gave him $20 to get rid of him. This was very terrible experience and shocked me a lot.
Since this shuttle driver is the only one referred by hotel staff. This bad experience totally destroyed my trust to the hotel. I will NOT recommend Homewood Suites at Miami Airport to any person.

My suggestion for future guests is doing homework (searching shuttle providers and taxi on the web) by yourself first and not just using the one hotel referred.

Room Tip: Choose the room facing the lagoon for quiet. Search and choose departure transportation by yourself.
2 Thank Y C
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 27 November 2011

My wife and I stayed here recently. I would say up front that the hotel is average for extended stay category hotels. There is nothing too bad but nothing too great either. The positives would be that it is close to the airport and they serve a dinner meal along with free draft beer (Icehouse) and wine that is more than just appetizers. This can help you save the expense of a meal if you are on a budget. The other items that were negatives but were not too terribly bad are as follows:

There is such limited space in the way that the bathroom was built that the door will not close unless the toilet seat is raised up which is odd for a modern built hotel. I've only seen that in old hotels in which a bathroom was built into the room.

Despite the 5th floor being smoke free as far as we could tell we smelled quite a bit of smoking. We didn't smell an overwhelming amount of smoke in our room. We did smell smoke while walking down the hall and when we had our window open which was could have been coming from below us. We did provide feedback to the front desk staff.

Wi-fi internet access in our room was a little spotty and slow but free. They do have an ethernet port with a cable but even that wasn't much faster.

Breakfast food was plentiful but quality wasn't all that great. Options for breakfast are scrambled eggs that weren't that fresh tasting, either bacon or sausage links, & some type of tater tots. There was also yogurt (two types full of sugar), bread, and some fruit (apples, banana's, grapes). To drink they had coffee, water, sugar filled orange and apple juice. One other note: Although there was plenty of seating it can still get crowded so you may not want to eat during the last hour that breakfast is served.

Air-conditioning is loud. I recently got off a cruise ship and the humming of the ship's engine were quieter than our air conditioning. The rooms also lack any type of air circulation. We opened our windows to get fresh air.

Overall it wasn't a bad place to stay and could stay here again but it would not be my first option. It is just that I have stayed at Homewood Suites before and I better for $150 a night.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
miabl, General Manager at Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. I apologize for the inconvenient smell from our smoking rooms during your stay. We will take your comments into consideration as we work to solve this problem. Also, I apologize that you were not 100% satisfied with our dining options. I have brought your comments to our culinary team, and we will keep your recommendations in mind as we actively rework our menu offerings. We hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.

Regards,

Gody Almonte
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night. I was already stressed as I had to leave a cruise ship in St. Kitts and fly to Miami and attend at the Miami children;s hospital for a medical emergency. Very stressful vacation. I had chose to leave the Ramada North airport hotel as there was issues with providing a mini fridge and baby crib that were promised at check in the night before. I chose to leave the Ramada and visit at the Hilton as they offered good rates for those that are in need of a hotel and got a discounted rate of $129 for having the list of hotels from the Miami children's hospital.

When I arrived at the hotel I was pleased. Very nice hotel and a nice area. The front lobby was warm and inviting and well decorated. Upon my arrival to my room #618 I was very pleased. Everything was perfect and everything appeared clean. Separate bedroom area., large bathroom with separate vanity area, full kitchen (minus) an oven and separate sitting and dining area. Very satisfied at first. Then the smoke started to roll in. I knew when I took the room that it was a smoking room. I too smoke but take it outdoors. I felt like the occupants on my floor were smoking directly in my room. It was constantly smelling of fresh smoke, I opened the windows as far as they would allow 3-4 inches and had the drapes pulled back to allow for some fresh air flow. It didn't help. I started putting towels by the main front door to block the incoming smoke. It too did not help., turned on the fan above stove top to high and left bathroom vents running in hopes of ridding the smoke that seemed to enter our room. Still nothing improved. I have serious doubts about the ventilation system in this hotel as the smoke was overwhelming. On the 6th floor you get off the elevator and race to your room as it is sooo smoky in the hallways too.

When I finally went to bed I still could not sleep, kept inhaling second hand smoke from an apparent chain smoker/smokers. It was disturbing me and I could not sleep. I got up to cover the vents with pillows and blankets in hopes to stop the awful smoke from entering our unit. Finally turned on light to do this and noticed bugs on the night stand. I lifted the corners of the mattress and voila there were critters there too. There were bugs on the mattress and on the bed skirt. Ewwww, called the front desk and he sent up security to take a look. Yes, the security man also seen the critters crawling on my bed. I also took pictures and videos which I will add in later.

I was told there were no other rooms available and to call them back in a bit. I was in a panic freezing all my bed clothes and anything that was on the floor or near the bed in the full size fridge/freezer provided. Unfortunately this was around 1:00am. I began to research changing my flights and leaving all together for home. No avail, on that one. At around 3am the hotel front desk sent up the security to tell me they had found another hotel for the night for me. I took their offer and packed up the toddler and myself and left this hotel. The security drove the hotel's shuttle bus to the new hotel. The Marriot Spring Hill Suites. I did receive an apology from the gentleman at the front desk that evening of course, did not have to pay for the room itself. Although, the staff at the Marriott Spring Hill Suites were amazed they did not pay for my first night there as a result of the stress they put me under for staying in a bed bug infested room.

I liked the feel of this hotel when I arrived. The front desk was warm and welcoming. Tastefully done and very nice, well appointed rooms with a great amount of space, but by no means want to sleep with critters. I am not a professional but they did appear to be young bed bugs.after researching the internet at length until it started to get spotty around 2am.

I would stay here again ONLY if I was reassured there are no bed bugs in my room or throughout the building and if they made it a non smoking facility inside as I don't think their ventilation system works well enough to ensure clean air indoors. I did check out their pool area earlier, although I never used it it seemed rather plain in comparison to the hotel. Square, fenced in area at back of property. Didn't stay long enough to enjoy their complimentary breakfast! Won't be back until I KNOW nasty blood sucking bed bugs are eliminated and smoke free throughout entire hotel. I could have enjoyed this place otherwise.

4 Thank travelingraysgirl1
I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and rectify any pest situation that might occur. We have reviewed your comments with our staff and promise the situation has been addressed. We also apologize for the inconvenient smell during your stay. I hope that you will give us another chance should you return to the area.

Regards,

Gody Almonte
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
0.5 km away
2.3 km away
SpringHill Suites Miami Airport South
3.0 km away
Best Western Plus Miami Airport North Hotel & Suites

Been to Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon? Share your experiences!