All reviews new wing pool bar pool girl red tide grouper beachfront room valet parking fifth floor turn down service r r gulf of mexico lounge chairs fire pit great view of the gulf walk in shower first morning beach staff
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We celebrated our 25th anniversary at Zota. The management and staff were very accommodating to make our stay special. The room and view was beautiful and the beach reminded me of The Keys. Pool is heated and big. The only negative thing I can say is the traffic can get bad at times to reach other parts of the island but that just makes you want to stay at hotel and get your monies worth. If you do venture out avoid the 4-7 pm hours.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa L
LBKGM, General Manager at Zota Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for celebrating your anniversary at the Zota Beach Resort and we are pleased you enjoyed the resort and the service. Traffic drops off after Easter and we hope you will visit again very soon.

LBKGM

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Our family of four just spent three nights over spring break at Zota Beach Resort. We stayed in Room 605, which is in the new wing of the hotel and which has two queen beds, a large bathroom and a beautiful view of the Gulf of Mexico (and the pool). The room was very spacious, new and clean. The beds were very comfortable. The room had a balcony with chairs and a table accessed by a sliding glass door. When the door was shut, the room was very quiet.

The property was lovely, with a large infinity pool, a restaurant with an outside seating area, a bar area serving good drinks, and, most importantly for our family, a beautiful beach location with the opportunity to rent umbrellas and other items.

The staff were very nice and friendly. The manager, Roy, was very helpful. We really felt like we were in good hands and we would love to return!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank goodadvice649
LBKGM, General Manager at Zota Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again for another family vacation.

Zota Beach Resort

Reviewed 2 April 2018

My parents and I stayed at this resort for two days in March 2018. The hotel itself is made up of three wings. The decor is beautiful. There's a fire pit, a gorgeous infinity pool, a hot tub, hammocks, plenty of chairs, and easy beach access. The hotel itself is a drivable distance from Sarasota, and about an 1 hour 20 minutes from Tampa Airport sans traffic (but always plan for traffic around here).

Our room was nice. I liked the decor of the entire hotel. The lighting was a bit dim, but manageable. The couch was very comfortable, and so was the pull-out bed, which is where I slept, and the blankets provided were perfect. The bathroom door sounded like thunder if someone had to go in the middle of the night, and we had to deal with a loud pipe and loud slamming of doors occasionally, but mostly it managed to be a very quiet room despite being right near the elevator, so the walls were appropriately thick. There was a Keurig and coffee pods provided—also two fridges with water bottles inside and a microwave. The amenities for the bathroom were lovely. The shower was very nice. I would also be careful about the door—the door was supposed to automatically deadbolt, but at least twice we discovered it hadn't done so, and once or twice we had to pull to make sure it actually even latched shut as we left. One of our room keys was also entirely ineffective throughout our stay.

The beach is gorgeous, and you can walk far in either direction to gather shells, enjoy the water, and more. The chairs were comfortable, and the towels provided were nice. The guy in charge of helping if you wanted chairs moved, a tent or umbrella, or one of the larger things to lay on, was very helpful. The beach was lovely, and we enjoyed ourselves there.

Our main puzzle was the variations in customer service and in quality of drinks and food. First of all, for a resort, this place seems consistently understaffed, and as a result, the service is often rushed or slow, which isn't so much the servers' fault as it is the fact that during spring break, this resort seems to think they can operate on a bare minimum of staff.

Our first night, we went to the bar on the 2nd floor. My strawberry "mo-tito" was absolutely superb, and made perfectly—he made it in front of us, and it was wonderful. But the bartenders also harassed me about whether I was 21 (I was 24), continued to laugh about my insistence that I was, talked about me briefly in Spanish (which I understood), and then made uncomfortable jokes to my parents and me about how I should go dancing with them. The next morning, at the bar by the pool, the service was much better. But I got the same drink, and it wasn't even muddled or actually shaken, so I switched to beer shortly after. Lunch was delicious, although it took a long time to arrive—my burger was great, and if you're by the pool, they'll bring it to you—if you're at the beach, you can order it to-go. Relatedly, I wish the bar by the pool would stay open longer, since it closes around sunset but hotel guests continue to be at the pool enjoying themselves up towards 11–12.

The biggest disappointment was breakfast. On our first day, we arrived at 9:30 and had to wait about 25 minutes for breakfast. There was coffee provided, except that the coffeepot was empty at the time. Their excuse for the wait was that "we have a lot of guests right now," but honestly, for lunch or dinner sure, but for breakfast, any hotel worth its salt can be prepared to give all of its guests breakfast, and you would think a beach resort in Florida would be prepared for a spring break rush. But we waited patiently. Sometimes things happen, and the restaurant is busy, and we've all worked in the service industry so we didn't want to be the worst.

But then when we got inside and got a table, it turned out to be a buffet. We'd been waiting in a bar area with tables and newspapers, and were puzzled as to why people getting the buffet couldn't eat out there (and since it was a set price, it would have been easy to have people pay the set price before they go into the buffet to prevent any mix-ups). Meanwhile, when we left, there were a ton of empty tables but people were still waiting! (They also said they couldn't "serve" outside due to lack of overhang, except that the people waiting were all sitting outside, and since the only thing they served was coffee and the rest was buffet, we didn't see why people couldn't just sit out there rather than wait.) As for the food, it was good, and there was a fine selection slightly more quality than a standard breakfast buffet, but it wasn't $20-per-person good, which is the most I've ever been asked to pay for a hotel breakfast buffet.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Leah v
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We love the Opal brands so much we decided to try the Zota Beach Resort on Longboat Key. Overall it was good, not great and they have a lot of kinks to work out being a new hotel. We went during “busy season” and they were way understaffed! Lunch out by pool, which you had to walk up to the bar to order bc no one was going around taking orders, always took a min of 30mins for chicken fingers and kids pizza! You also can’t order any food or drinks when you’re on the beach so I found myself going without just so I didn’t have to leave my family and make the long walk from beach to pool bar to order and then wait another 30mins. Pool was nice and heated which was great for kids! Wish they had music playing out by pool it seemed odd not to have any background noise. They also need to add more valet attendants we walked to get our own car on several occasions, once again short staffed. The breakfast buffet is a joke, there’s no separate menu you’re only option is the buffet or room service. Our server came by once and then we never saw her again I had to go get my own silverware and coffee.
Rooms were nice and clean and we had a great view that’s why I gave it 4 Stars, wish I could do 3.5. I wouldn’t quite call this a “resort” with the lack of service and no spa or activities for kids. This hotel had a lot of misses but a ton of potential, I would hold off returning until they work out all the kinks. I would recommend their brands in Clearwater Beach instead!

Trip type: Travelled with family
LBKGM, General Manager at Zota Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest recently and appreciate the candid feedback regarding your stay. While we strive to provide excellent guest service we apologize for not delivering 5 Star Service. We have recruited additional pool bar servers and pool servers so our guests can enjoy the pool area. While we would like to serve adult beverages on the beach local law does not permit us. We are also reintroducing a new ala carte breakfast menu and enhancing our breakfast buffet as well. We hope you will visit us again in the slower time of year so that you can experience 5 Star Service and give us an opportunity to earn 5 Stars!

Regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Zota is a beautiful property and we would definitely stay there again! Our only issues were with customer service. One of the main bartenders was very grumpy - I don't know how he intends to make good tips when he didn't even smile for 2 whole days. Additionally, the first woman at the front desk wasn't very nice. Both the bar and the valet are short staffed - we had cold pizza one day at the bar and waited forever the next day. If they can work these issues out, it will be a wonderful place to stay. Customer service can make or break a hotel when there are many lovely properties in the area to choose from.

Room tip: Ocean view - pool view gets very loud in the afternoons.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank remartin67
LBKGM, General Manager at Zota Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of your recent visit and we certainly send an apology for not delivering the great service that the resort can provide. Your feedback will be shared with our management team so they can review and implement departmental training guidelines so our services can be improved. We hope you will visit us again.

Regards,