All reviews historical hotel mirror lake terrace grill free valet parking self park heart of downtown lovely lake old florida rooms are small chain hotel walking distance continental breakfast older hotel suite sophia danish nightlife
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

You can tell this is an area being renovated. Adorable hotel in a cute little historic district. There is a lot to do within walking distance. The hotel has a great staff, very eloquent and courteous. They are accommodating and polite. The rooms were well done, comfortable beds and a good combination of time period renovation and modern convenience. The restaurant is very nice and a popular local romantic date night destination. The bar makes great cocktails and the breakfast was well done. Many desirable restaurants and bars within walking distance. Children’s museum is only a block away. Dog friendly hotel with a nice park across the street. The kids park on the other side of the river was impressive. We will definitely come back.

Stayed: July 2018
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

This hotel was built in 1924 and is on the National Register of historic buildings. It has lovely architectural features, which makes it a delight to look at. It reminded me of hotels in San Francisco. The terrace looks out on a lovely lake.
The staff were all very professional and helpful.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 13 July 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Stayed here last minute. Did not get a chance to read the reviews first like I normally would have. If you pay attention, most of the excellent reviews are for the restaurant not the hotel. First the few good things, the hotel is easy to locate and reasonably priced (others in the area were more), however in my opinion high for the location. The other good thing, is there is several local restaurants within walking distance. Now for the rest of the story, They do have complimentary valet parking, or you can park on the street, good luck with that if there is any activity happening downtown. There is an after hours parking garage across the street, but it is permit only during working hours. If you stay in the summer time when it rains every day, no one wants to walk across a road. Upon check in, the girl at the reception desk was not friendly at all (did not get a name). She did not mention any of the normal things like there is complimentary breakfast in the mornings (if you call Danish, coffee and apples/oranges breakfast. She did not thank me for my stay or anything. Only on a rare occasion was I greeted by anyone who worked there, not customer friendly for the most part. Only one valet was friendly, wish I had gotten his name. I stayed on the 4th floor in a corner room. The room is old, smells old and needed repairs. One blind was missing the pull to close the blind so it stayed partially opened the whole time, luckily it faced roof tops only. The bathroom was clean but had cracks in the tile, a gash in the tub and a leaking sink. wish I had gotten pictures but had too much going on. The carpet is old and green with stains. The bed was horrible, it was hard and lumpy at the same time, probably the worst sleep I have gotten, and the valence was stained. There is chair, but it was old appeared dirty and had a rip in it. If you sleep light, be prepared to be woken up. There is a train that goes by early and it blows its horn. The police department is a few blocks away and they will leave there with sirens blaring (guess they forget about the hotel and that they can turn those on later). Several mornings at 530am you can hear the garbage truck picking up. Oh yes they have free wifi but it is very slow. The housekeepers do a half way job, one time I did use the coffee pot and they left the pot with coffee in it and a dirty cup on the counter, No way to wash it out for myself so I figured they would do it. Half the time part of the towels were not replaced. And, one morning the housekeeping was knocking on the door at 830, sorry but when you are on vacation and don't have to be up 830 is too early. Be warned also if you stay while a holiday etc. is going on, parking can be a challenge, I checked in on a Saturday, valet parking the whole time, on Wednesday was the fire works show, I showed up back at the hotel and was told I could not park utilizing the Valet service, I was told I would have to try to find a parking spot elsewhere along the roadway or the after hours garage fighting the crowd Really??!! I was paying to stay at the hotel and told I could not park at the hotel because they allowed non guests to valet park. After the valet argued with me and me demanding a manager that was working, I was finally able to valet park. But the next morning the new valet had a problem locating my keys and vehicle. I guess the night valet was mad that I asked for a manager and did not care what happened to my keys or car. They do have room service and a nice restaurant but both are expensive for what is offered. Note to management, UPDATE YOUR HOTEL, Even the lobby area has furniture that is ripping, and have customer service training, most of your staff is rude or ignore guests altogether.

Stayed: July 2018
1  Thank straw71
Reviewed 29 June 2018

I scheduled a surprise lunch and birthday party for my wife and 25 guests. It was set up in the Lake Mirror Room overlooking the signature lake of the city. Both the hotel staff and Grille made the occasion memorable. First the staff event planner, Sophia Huffaker, met with me on short notice. Made great suggestions and had a special short menu prepared with KC's Birthday title at the top. I selected 3 breakfast and 3 lunch items to complete the menu and Sophia had them printed on classy hotel stationary and laid out on the table at each place setting. The assigned three servers to take and deliver our orders, took care of the cake cutting to make it a "Kodak Moment" for those who remember that line. Then served the champagne or sparkling apple cider per the guest's desire. Since the guest of honor was arriving in a limo, the Valet let us line up on the parking entrance stairs to greet her and escort her to the Mirror Room. The food was all prepared to perfection. While all the preps and hanging on to the secret was a stress for me, the hotel staff made that party all happen with military precision and let me enjoy the lunch and party with my lovely wife. I have to give them five stars on hosting a large group like royalty.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul D
Management response:Responded 13 July 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

I was in Lakeland for a movie shoot and wanted to enjoy my one night in the small town. Rather than selecting a chain hotel, I chose this old beauty in downtown. Glad I did! The front desk ladies (two who assisted me at different times) were helpful and personable. One allowed me to check out the bed before paying since I read on TripAdvisor that the beds are too hard. It seemed fine to me, so I checked into a corner room on the 7th floor with four large windows where I could enjoy the views of Lakeland. The lobby and public rooms are beautiful, and though the elevators are smallish, there are two of them and I had no issues with space or wait time. The room itself was large, TV was big, linens and pillows were great, bathroom was satisfactory though not updated and I slept well. It is steps to a nice park, plenty of restaurants and bars, and a lovely lake for strolling. I had lunch at a seafood place one block over and then dinner at an italian place on the same street. Both were excellent! Parking was free valet or self parking, located right next to the building. Coffee, fresh fruit and pastries were offered in the lobby in the morning, and I ran down twice for refills to take up to my room. The restaurant in the lobby had a grand ambiance with its tablecloths and patrons, but I hadn’t brought anything nice to wear or would have enjoyed a table for one by a window.

This old beauty could do with a facelift for things like carpet, but I tended to think of her as “shabby chic” and took it all in.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank turntheothercheek
Management response:Responded 13 July 2018

We appreciate that you shared your feedback. Thank you.