“Decent accomidations....poor customer service at the desk”

Residence Inn Lakeland
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Reviewed 16 August 2008

Your first impression starts at the front desk and the female clerk did'nt seem customer service friendly at all. When I walked in the
lobby she was no where to be found. As I stood and waited an
employee passed by and I asked is there anybody working in the area. He shouted out the womans name. The clerk proceeded to come out of the back area and seemed annoyed that I was there
to bother her.
Next she tried to shock me with the room rate and I said, no problem. After printing off a copy of the room bill with someone
elese's name on it, she finally got it right and I got away from an awkard encounter. Come on Marriott...you can find better help than this. I expect to see employees like this at a Checkers restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank SQ-BIRD

Reviewed 8 June 2008

We stayed here over Memorial day weekend. We have no complaints, the room was clean, well decorated and comfortable.
It had a kitchen with a full size fridge, dishwasher and stove top plus microwave. Kitchen had pots, pans and glasses. Had everything you would need. Check photo's attached. The Hotel has a hot tub, pool and basketball court. They have a store in the hotel with drinks and snacks. The hotel will go grocery shopping for you at no charge. It is located right by the mall and several nice restarunts.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank des43055
Reviewed 10 January 2008

Since I have to travel to Lakeland quite often on business, I've seen quite many of the local hotels. I kept switching each trip until I discovered the Marriott Residence Inn.
The key reasons I like this hotel are

- Friendly staff and cozy atmosphere, not too uptight and "fancy" people you see in many upscale hotels
- Excellent services such as grocery shopping
- Nice location next to a big shopping area, still peaceful place
- Rooms are large, noise-free and well kept. Renovation is underway currently, but the only way I've observed it is in that the room has just be refurnished, no interference at all.
- Breakfast buffet (included) has a wide and tasty selection
- Good WiFi in rooms, no hassle internet
- Free dinner most nights with chance to meet other guests
- Good pool area with jacuzzi and lap pool (a bit too short but thats how they are in hotels...)

What could be improved
- Fitness room equipment is a bit out of date, however they were able to allow me to use the gym of the next door Marriott Courtyard hotel
- TVs have wider than normal channel selection, but are not large nor flat. I've heard from one of the managers that they will soon update this

Overall I can't say this is the best hotel in the area, but at least it was good enough to stop searching for a new one each time! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank olli_9
Reviewed 19 April 2007

We stayed here for a week while my husband was on business in Lakeland. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite since my mother-in-law joined us for the trip. The room was perfect for a family, particularly due to the kitchen facilities. We also enjoyed the daily manager specials, the huge breakfast selection, the grill area outside and the pool. Only negative was that on the first and last night, we could hear some banging on the floor from our upstairs neighbors. The starting rate of $129/night for a 1-bedroom suite is a great deal.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank ecpindc
Reviewed 20 March 2007

My husband and I recently returned from a 10-night stay at the Residence Inn in Lakeland. Except for the overly soft mattress, everything about the stay was great! (We learned from the desk staff that the entire facility will be renovated next August so I am sure that the mattresses will be replaced at that time.)

We had a studio style suite because that was all that was available when we made our reservation about 6 weeks in advance. All of Lakeland is very busy during March because of the crowds attending Spring Training for the Detroit Tigers. The studio suite is adequate for 2 people but we would have preferred the larger one-bedroom and the price difference is trivial.

Service at the Residence Inn was great, especially the daily hot breakfasts. We also enjoyed the Manager's receptions on week day evenings. We did have one small issue with daily housekeeping service. Much to my surprise, when I mentioned this to to desk staff we were very soon after given a $25 gift card to one of the adjacent restaurants! This was totally unexpected.

We look forward to returning to the Residence Inn for another Spring Training season.

a Maryland Tigers fan