All reviews hot tub microwave and coffee maker nice dock fish great little place boat ramp lazy days restaurant dock area water pressure keys style rooms are clean living room midway cafe key west stayed nights night stay ice machine
Reviewed 27 August 2018

My family and I have been staying at this hotel since the 1950's while enjoying the fishing in the upper Florida Keys. Different owners now, but still as quaint and quiet as any place on the Keys. Very clean, very quiet, and aside from on-going repairs from recent hurricanes, it is still one of my favorite spots to kick back, before and after our fishing excursions.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2018

I needed a dock for my 23 ft boat, I was told they have 2. I asked if they accept dogs, they said yes, we’re pet friendly. This was a month before check in. When we arrived...NO DOCKS, they were destroyed in Hurricane Irma! Now they tell me “NO PETS OVER 45 lbs. Big sign out front says “DOCKAGE, BOAT RAMP, PET FRIENDLY”! It’s a LIE. SO I asked now what? They said not our problem, she kept saying “I send you e mail, I send you e mail”. Then I was asked to leave, they locked the doors behind me. I’ve been going to the Keys for 40 yrs. and have NEVER been treated so Rudley! And they wouldn’t refund my money, I had to file a claim with my credit card co. DON’T STAY HERE...KEEP GOING!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Mike D
Reviewed 16 July 2018

We stayed in this hotel twice back in 2010 and 2011 . We were thinking of visiting again in 2019 but now I'm very apprehensive after reading all the negative reviews.
As it has been pointed out, the pictures on the webside are out of date and look the same as in 2011. One would have thought the new owners would have refurbished. One report states mould in the bath/shower - I reported the same thing in 2011.
So maybe we won't stay there.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2018

All was well with our stay until we got home and I noticed a charge on my credit card for an EXTRA $100. I called the Sands and asked what the charge was for and the manager said there was blood on one of the towels and they were charging us $25. for that. My husband cut himself shaving and there was a pin prick size spot on the towel. When I said I thought that was ridiculous the manager started yelling at me and hung up on me. I still did not receive the $75. credit she said I would get. I would NEVER stay there again. She is nice to your face until you question her.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank suelynn144
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

If I could give this hotel a negative rating I would!! They canceled my reservation by claiming my pets were over the 45 lb. weight limit and then promised me and my brother in law to our face that they would refund the money they charged us for the stay, only to have been LIED TO!!!!!

They put us in a situation where we had to scramble to find another hotel that allowed pets (like they supposedly claim to do) and then go back on their word by charging us for the stay and NOT crediting us back our money when they are the ones that canceled the reservation!!!!!

The owners are extremely shady and deceptive! When I called to speak to the owner after the charge posted to my credit card, her rationale for not crediting me back was that I lied to her first; are you kidding me???? Who in their right mind would say that to a customer after she already told me to my face that she would refund the money????? I have since disputed the charge with my credit card company. STAY FAR AWAY from this place!!!!!!

Trip type: Travelled with family