“Great Food! Reasonable!”

Ranked #23 of 94 Restaurants in Islamorada
Price range: USD 5 - USD 35
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: In the Florida Keys you'll find this old Keys-style marina and fish shack "somewhere on A1A." A true conch atmosphere with many tasty delights, here in this Florida Keys restaurant you'll find yourself indulged in the Caribbean-inspired cuisine, the compassionate people and old Keys tranquility that is the Hungry Tarpon restaurant in Islamorada. The building has been standing since 1947 and with a home like Robbie's of Islamorada, plus a fascinating history, it all makes the Hungry Tarpon a part of the tradition since 1976. Enjoy dining on our bayside deck with tiki torches lighting up the night. Relax with friends over our fabulous appetizers and watch the boats come and go. Stroll our open air shops then wander to our sandy beach, melt into one of our bayside lounge chairs and let the sea air wash away the rush of the day.
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We came to feed the Tarpon and wound up feeding ourselves too! Several people recommended the HT, so we tried it. The fish tacos were outstanding! The conch soup was awesome! We were told breakfasts were good, so the next morning, we tried it. Try the "Purple Isle." It's crepes filled with lobster and eggs. Ummm! Of course there are the traditional fares. I loved the homemade biscuits w/sausage gravy too. You can sit outside under the trees or in the sun. It's beautiful no matter where you sit. The waitresses are excellent and the service is excellent too. We keep seeing the same people, day aftre day...it's that good.

1  Thank Chris S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Our experience was a great one at Hungry Tarpon, we arrived around 7:00pm ordered the dinner special and appitizer which was all awesome, (we had eaten at the Lazy Days the night before and the food didn't measure up the the high price...at all). We went back for breakfast the next morning and had no complaints...there was enough food on each visit to share and be full!

1  Thank floridabeaches4me
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I ate at the Hungry Tarpon while on vacation. We were there (took a kayak tour) during the day and decided to return for dinner. The outdoor eating environment was pleasureable, but the food..........not so much. My husband had a fried fish sandwich. The fish was fresh, but average tasting. The french fries were good. I ordered fried shrimp, cole slaw, and french fries. The waitress brought over a fish sandwich for me, and immediately realized her mistake. She then returned with 3 very overdone fried shrimp and said. "This should hold you for a while." Later, she returned with 3 more shrimp cooked correctly and they were good, but not great. She should have returned with with 6 shrimp, instead of 3 more. I believe the first overcooked 3 shrimp may have been relaced in the fryer and cooked which resulted in the dark hard shrimp. I love Islarmorada, but we will never return to this establishment again. There are too many other good restaurants.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

When to Hungry Tarpon last night. Got the best seat outdoors right by the water. Loved the birds, loved watching children feeing the birds, loved the lights in the trees, loved the whole place. Had a friendly waitress. Got our drinks and and looked forward to having a great meal. Wellllllllllll that was the key word to use . . . . .looking Forward . . . . . .everyone was getting served before us and the place was not at all busy. We kept hearing our waitress tell us that is was going to be soon. Finally we got her to go back for about the 10th time and she was told the kitchen couldn't find any order for us. So she ordered it again. And we waited. And she checked the kitchen and they didn't have any order. So she ordered it again. Do you see a pattern here? We asked several other waiters to check but they never came back. We asked the host to check. Finally we got our meal. By the way it wasn't a big meal nor anything difficult --- My husband had a fish basket and I had a salad and cup of soup. Guess what - - - they didn't bring the dressing with the salad. So I waited while we tried to flag down our waitress. Then I waited while my husband went to look for our waitress. Then I waited while another waitress and then the host went to get the dressing and then gave it to our waitress to bring to the table. By the time I got to eat my salad it was warm from sitting so long. You would think the manager or owner would have come to our table to say something. Our waitress did comp our food but it was way past saving the evening. Won't go back and suggest you go there for a drink and the view and skip ordering food unless you like waiting and waiting and waiting and - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -.

1  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We really enjoyed our stop at Robbie's which included feeding the tarpon and lunch at the Hungry Tarpon. I had the fried mahi tacos and my hubby had the fried shrimp tacos. Both were really good and fresh, served with beans and rice. Fun atmosphere with beautiful views right on the water. Went back the next morning for breakfast. I just had a belgian waffle with bacon, hubby had eggs, bacon. It was your basic, good breakfast but the view is just so pretty. Would definitely return.