All reviews pools and hot tubs other guests happy hour island house coral tree gay guest house yogurt gay men fleming street local bakery the entire staff full bar starbucks coffee room number every afternoon continental breakfast pool area
Reviewed 29 November 2017

The Equator Resort has in many ways become my home away from home. Key West is my favorite place to escape and the Equator is the perfect place to relax. I have stayed at this resort with my partner many times over the past few years with several trips already planned for the upcoming year. I am always impressed with the constant improvements at the resort which is in a big part due to the resorts fantastic manager Anthony. The resort offers a great happy hour which is perfect for meeting other guests and has recently added a full bar which is perfect for pool days. The location is also great as it is located on one of Key West's most beautiful streets and is just minutes from Duval. The staff are truly the best part of this resort as they are all extremely friendly and have helped make every stay memorable. Keep up the great work and I will be down soon!

Aaron

Room tip: All rooms are bright and airy with many featuring generous sized balconies. Pool facing rooms get great morning sun and great views.
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GM_Equator, General Manager at Equator Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

TIM/AARON!!

We miss you boys hurry back and thank you for the awesome review. We are very happy to know you boys enjoy your visits and as always just let us know anything we can do to help enhance your visit.

We look forward to spending time with you boys again soon!

See you soon!

General manager

Reviewed 28 November 2017

I have mixed feelings about my recent six-night stay. In the past, my husband and I have stayed at New Orleans House (at least ten times). We have also visited Island House but never stayed there. Our only other gay resort experience is Santiago in Palm Springs, which is outstanding. Here's my summary of Equator.

The Good:

- Resort is clean and room service is prompt. Every time we returned from our morning walk around town, the room was clean.
- Our room (50) was quiet except for morning garbage trucks, which is not the fault of the resort.
- Other guests were friendly.
- I'm a vegan and there's a health food store/ cafe (Date & Thyme) less than 1/2 block away. I also asked the resort for hummus in the mornings and they provided it (although I didn't realize it until a few days into my stay).
- Facility is well maintained.
- Heated pool and hot tub were just the right temperature. Unheated pool and hot (cold) tub were not, see below.

The Bad

- Price is way too high. New Orleans House is over $100 a night less. We spent $360 per night for a two-queen room (the beds were queens, not us... OK, we were two queens also). It will take me awhile to recover from the bill here.
- Happy Hour is from 5P-6:30P but only includes well drinks and a changing daily special frozen drink. For $360 a night, a few ounces of Ketel One wouldn't kill them.
- Limited daily breakfast consists of (not great) bagels, muffins, pastries, dry cereal, coffee, tea, and juice.
- No snacks provided at any other time except for a small basket of potato and Sun chips that only appeared during Happy Hour.
- Bar is only open during the day and closes after Happy Hour.
- During our entire stay, one pool was unheated and unusable, and one hot tub was broken. Half of the pool/ hot tub access was unavailable. No advance notice provided.
- Saturdays from Noon until 4PM the resort is open to the public for a "pool party," which should be re-named a "no available chairs or towels for guests party."
- Staff were not overly friendly nor out-going and certainly not warm, with a few exceptions.
- When we checked in, we were told that Room 50 had a "plumbing issue" and we had to stay in another room. I voiced my displeasure because I specifically chose Room 50 since it had a more private patio. We were then told that Room 50 was in fact available and we could stay in it.

Comparisons with Other Resorts

- Island House is the gold standard in Key West, but is crazy expensive. They offer a great bar with long hours and a full menu. They also have a workout room and steam room and friendly staff.
- New Orleans House has a much lower price and full bar with long hours, and a workout room.
- Santiago in Palm Springs has very friendly staff, free daily lunch, and 24x7 snacks.

Summary

I would consider coming back to try Equator again but am hoping they make a few minor improvements, including at least keeping the pools and hot tubs in working order, having 24x7 snacks, and including top shelf (or at least middle-shelf) alcohol in their Happy Hour. I also have to give credit to the General Manager, who offered a refund if we checked out early-- but we couldn't find anywhere else we wanted to stay on short notice.

Date of stay: November 2017
1  Thank MeerKat773

Good Morning,

First let me say thank you for taking the time to review us online. Though we of course would love to see all 5 star reviews, every review helps us improve. I would however like to address some of your concerns and clarify a few things...

- I apologize for the initial situation regarding your room. Since hurricane Irma there have been a few issues that have taken some time to present themselves. When we realized there was a piping issue that morning we had the problem repaired by your arrival but still wanted to provide you the "option" of another upgraded room in case there was any lingering paint scent that might disturb you. However, you were still placed in your original room as requested and never stayed in the alternate room.

- In regard to the happy hour, yes all our Well Drinks, Daily Frozen Drinks, beer and wine are free. There is also no limit to the number of drinks per guests. Happy hour is standard in the industry for Well drinks when it is provided at no costs. The reason
the other two male resorts on island have a 24 hour bar is because island house also has a full restaurant 24 hours which we do not and the bar for New Orleans House is actually the bar for the club downstairs Bourbon St. Pub and is not a private hotel only bar.

- We try to accommodate every guests needs as much as possible and were happy to provide the requested hummus which was out every day since your arrival, however one of your party (either you or your partner) did thank us and mention that you didn't realize it was there.

- The pricing...the reason your rate was a little higher than normal was because you visited us during an event week for Thanksgiving. Event weeks are going to be a higher rate than norm, as well as the fact that the room you choose was a private balcony room. Our rates start at $149 per night with the "average" being around $260-$280 per night for most standard rooms and again...as mentioned you happened to visit during a high event week and choose a private balcony room. A few of the reasons New Orleans House is a lower rate than us is because it sits upstairs of a night club that is open till 4am as well as there is no private pool and bar as it is shared with the night clubs garden bar.

- The hot tub and pool...yes one of our hot tubs has been down since the hurricane as we await parts to be delivered. Unfortunately certain parts can not be acquired on island and we are slave to the order and delivery of certain parts. Luckily however we have 2 hot tubs. The pool temperatures, we always keep one heated and one regular temperature. In the past we kept both heated at the same time (as we do now in the winter) however we received numerous regular requests that people wanted one cooler (refreshing) and one warmer pool so they had options. This specifically helps in the daytime when the tropical sun can be very harsh and the need to cool off, but again we only do this because of the majority of the guests requests.

- In regards to the food selection, we do not have a restaurant on property but we do provide a full complimentary breakfast as mentioned and also provided a full catered thanksgiving lunch for you and our other guests this year. All the breakfast Pastries, Croissants and bagels are delivered fresh daily from local artisans. There were also, English muffins, pumpkin bread, 3 cereal varieties, Yogurt and Greek yogurt, bananas, Oranges, apples, Oatmeal, orange juice, milk and Starbucks brewed coffee.

I am sorry that your visit was not 100% to your expectation and I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of the island during your stay.

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed here 4 years ago, and were looking forward to our return. Although it was far quieter this week, as it was immediately after Fantasy Fest, the place still had a friendly feel with some nice guests, which includes some new friends now.

The staff were fantastic but the names that leap to mind are Anthony the general manager, I think Bobby checked us in, Billy who manned the bar most days and Oscar who filled in wherever he was needed.

The place is spotlessly clean and everything you need is provided. There is a 90 minute Happy Hour every day which always gets the evening going, and unlike our stay of 4 years ago, there is now a bar open during the afternoon.

On our way down, I honestly thought this would be our last stay as we had "ticked the box of Key West", but after this stay, we'll definitely be back!

The team, definitely made our stay wonderful along with some of the guests we befriended too.

We look forward to returning next year with any luck!

Thanks guys, Christian.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hello Christian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and for the great review. We are extremely happy to know you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully you will make it next year and not have to wait another 4 years lol.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 31 October 2017

About a year and a half ago we stayed here for a coupla' nights, and were disappointed. The decor was awful, the carpeting in our room was filthy and the attitudes typically nasty.
Since it opened in 1992, I've stayed in the former Coral Tree Inn portion of the Equator (they bought the Coral Tree a few years ago from the original owners across Fleming Street) and had nothing but wonderful memories of good experiences.
What a difference 18 months can make. The staff at the front desk could not have been more helpfull, the room had new flooring and was spotless, and the grounds looked as clean and well cared-for as I've ever seen them.
Gone was the garish "angry" decorating in the lobby and the breakfast room was clean and the complimentary breakfast, adequate. We will return again. Good job!

Date of stay: September 2017
1  Thank NewYorkerluvsKeyWest
GM_Equator, General Manager at Equator Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Hi Mr. New Yorker :)

What a great review. We are so happy to know you enjoyed your visit and the property. I have heard stories of the "project" the Equator had when we initially took over the Coral Tree property. Though it was before my time working here I hear about it regularly from repeat guests. Glad to know we were able to bring it up to a standard that even guests can notice and we have more things planned for the future.

We hope to see you again soon and let us know if you need any help with your future stay.

Have a great day!

Reviewed 24 October 2017

I recently stayed at the Equator with my partner. It is a great gay guest house in a wonderful location. The hotel is located about 6 blocks from Duval Street and is close to numerous restaurants. It has 2 pools and 2 hot tubs, although1 hot tub was down. They have a continental breakfast in the morning and a complimentary happy hour from 5-630pm. We were in room 28A which had a nice balcony overlooking one of the pools, king bed, tv, wifi, and a kitchenette with a refrigerator and microwave. The front office staff was nice, however, the room attendants could have been a little more friendlier. All in all, a great resort and we will return!

Date of stay: October 2017

Hello Joseph,
Thank you so much for the great review and glad to know you will be joining us again in the future. Sorry about the hot tub situation, this was one of the few issues we discovered after Hurricane Irma as we had to order some parts for replacement. 28A is one of my favorite rooms!! I am curious if your comment on housekeeping is reflective of a negative situation or a lack of pleasantries?

Thank you again for the stay and the great review. We hope to see you again during your next stay!

manager@equatorresort.com

ps..we are only 3 blocks from Duval St. ;-)