“Inconvenient with a lack of charm”

The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Inconvenient with a lack of charm”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

When I think of Key West I think historic inns surrounding secluded swimming pools and tropical gardens. So the only reason we stayed at the Reach is that the couple we were travelling with wanted to use Hilton reward points which we used as well.

Since we arrived on the Fort Myers ferry we had no car, so walking the 1.3 miles from the hotel to the top of Duval Street (and all the action including restaurants, shopping and Mallory Square) got old real fast. Although the Reach is right on the ocean and has its own beach (very unusual for Key West) the hotel itself has a sort of a bunkerish feel. And there were some off putting things such as double beds instead of queens, leaf blowing in the parking lot at 9:00 AM on a Sunday morning, a broken elevator, and a beach which was not raked clean of seaweed. Also we stopped at the hotel bar for a nightcap on Saturday night and found it empty and about ready to close at 10:00 PM. Odd for a town known for its 24/7 bars.

So the bottom line is that even if I were looking for a beach resort in Key West, this is not the one I would pick.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Bic20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Polish first
Memphis
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We have been to Key West several times, and the Reach is one of our favorite places to stay. I recommend upgrading to a pool side suite because they are much nicer than the regular rooms with a separate bedroom and a pull out bed in the living room. Tile floors and larger bathrooms also come with the upgrade and it is not much more. Now, this property is not inexpensive and everything costs extra. Resort fee includes bottled water, wifi, and at a certain time of day, they pass out frozen towels, drink samples, and popsicles. Their website leads you to believe that these things are available at all times, but they are not. I also read on the website that you receive a welcome mojito upon check-in, but we have never been offered such! The food is good at the hotel, but once again, it is pricey. The property is beautiful and very clean. The hotel is walking distance to most things, and they offer bike rentals for a reasonable fee. Even though it is labeled a resort, there are no washing machine facilities available. The Reach is one of the few hotels that has it's own beach. It is very small, but they do provide guests with beach chairs and towels. Overall, it is Key West so you might expect to pay for Paradise, but it is worth it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I stayed only one night and was unable to sleep most of the night. I called down to the front desk multiple times because of a couple of young adults and the parent were arguing in the corridor for hours in the middle of the night. The staff assured they would say something but never did. I wanted to call the police, but was asked not to by my fiancee. I was so tired from not sleeping, the next day was ruined. I didnt have much energy. I am so disgusted at paying 300 for a nice room, but poor staff. I live in Fl and visit Key West often, but I won't be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Get the managers business card so you can call when the customer service is lacking.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Crystal N
Carmel, IN
Reviewed 15 March 2012

The Reach is a decent resort, but definitely not Waldorf Astoria standards. The main thing going for it is the location on the beach, which for Key West is rare, but the rest of the resort is lackluster. Our room was clean and we were upgraded to a courtyard view, but our inside corner location let people on both sides of our room see in if they were outside on their balcony. Just a little weird. Also, the opening for our sliding door was literally only 18 inches wide, we had to turn sideways to walk outside. I think that was just a flaw of our specific room, the others looked much bigger.

The rooms also lack a dresser to put clothes in, which was weird since our room had plenty of room for it. Our bathroom was very small and the toilet was literally in front of the sink. No exaggeration, you had to sort of straddle the toilet to get to the sink. The cleaning service was hit or miss, depending on which person cleaned our room and the doors let a lot of hallway noises in. The beach by KW standards was nice, but ended up with a lot of seagrass washed up on it (not their fault). The pier has tons of birds nesting in it, so it was covered in bird droppings, which I never saw get cleaned the five days we were at the resort. The pool/beach service guy sort of gave us a hard time for wanting to sit on the beach one day when it was windy (the pool chairs were full). We were on the beach 2-3 hours and never were offered a popsicle, frozen towel, etc. I did see one of them bring pina colada samples, but he ran out a few chairs before getting to us and never brought more. The guys at the Casa Marina were much more attentive when we were on that beach. The Casa is also much better at night, the gas torch lights and palm trees give a much better vibe. Amenities wise, the Casa is much nicer and more luxurious, it's just further from everything and sometimes gets big conferences, like the one they had while we were there.

The positives of The Reach is that you are closer to Duval and several restaurants. I highly recommend the Southernmost Cafe for breakfast and drinks later in the day. It's at the very end of Duval on the beach (about two blocks from The Reach). Good food and a good view (liked it even more than Blue Heaven). There is also a small convenience store and two small delis within a block of The Reach, which is great for cheaper drinks and lunch. Also be sure to check out the sunset decks on the 4th and 5th floors of The Reach, great view without the crowds, and you can also see when the cruise ships are in town, meaning crowds on Duval and tours (noticed no ships Wed and Thurs).

Regarding the rest of the resort, I was disappointed by some of the rusty door frames when walking through the halls and some of the stairways. Also surprised at how sometimes the building paint changed from a margarine color to a bright mustard color at random, just lots of details they have overlooked. Doormen standing in the lobby chatting, overflowing trash cans by the elevators, food trays sitting outside in the hallways from the night before, etc, the service could use a little attention. And the resort fee is a joke, plain and simple. The wifi kept dropping off my phone, prompting me for the password I had already entered numerous times. Our stay was free and the place was clean, but I don't think I would pay to come back unless I got a great deal. I would probably walk the other few blocks to the Casa or look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Inside corner rooms give little privacy, the neighbors can see in your room and you in theirs.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Porchswings
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I sent an email to Hilton customer support and to no avail I did not receive a response. Email Attached below:

1) Checking In - One person at the entire front desk and it took 30-40 minutes to check-in. When checking in, only one of the rooms was ready (I also purchased a room for my father and his was not ready until almost 5:30pm). I have a call log on my cell (picture included on attachment from when the hotel called to confirm this.

2) I entered the room to drop off all of our bags while the other room was being prepared. I noticed the temperature of the room was very warm, so I quickly check the thermostat to lower the temp. I noticed it was set to 70 degrees (which is more than cool enough in Florida), but the room was clearly around 85 degrees (if not more). I felt the vent to see what temperature the air was coming out and it was also very warm. I decided to open up the panel for the intake and noticed the filter has not been replaced in years and was probably one of the dirtiest filters i have seen. I took a picture which is attached below. I removed the filter and put it outside the room and it was disposed of at a later time. The air then quickly started to cool and that issue was rectified.

3) I noticed in the room (Room 428 (my room) and Room 431 (Fathers room) that there was some sort of insect infestation. I took video of this (I will try to attach it if its not too large) and you will clear see tons of bugs running on the wet bar and through out other areas of the room. In fact, I was woken up out of a dead sleep when I was bitten by a fire ant on my stomach (which I would like to note is not a comfortable experience. The room was also very dirty. The door to the bathroom looked like it has not been cleaned in months (pictures attached) and I would say the same about the carpet. JUST TRIED TO PUT THE VIDEO IN THE EMAIL AND IT WAS TOO LARGE. If needed I will post it on You Tube to share it to whom ever it may concern.

4). The next morning I woke up and I spoke to my father and he informed me check out was at 11am. I then thought that was interesting due to the fact that we were not even able to completely check-in by 5:30pm. Each room cost me a little over 500 bucks per night and I was charged a daily resort fee of $25 bucks. That resort fee allowed me to use wifi and a few of the beach services (I have no idea what those services were, but thats was I was told). At this point we were at a beach resort and were now forced to be checked out. Hmm… That almost sounds like a scam to me. I called down to the front desk and was routed to the concierge and was informed I need to talk to the front desk (which is what I dialed, but was informed there was only one person working). I was put on hold and then spoke to a lady who extended my check out to 12:30pm. I informed her of the very late checkin and she said that was the best she could do.

5) Before checking out we decided (4 of us (Father, step mom, girlfriend and myself)) to grab breakfast. We sat down in the outdoor area (right by the beach) which was very beautiful. A waiter came by and informed us that there was a buffet. I politely asked him if the buffet had waffles or if I could just order them ale carte. He started laughing and said if you want waffles go to the waffle house. Everyone at the table looked at me in astonishment that he even said that and that I didn't say something back to him informing him he was an jerk. The four of us went to the buffet and grabbed our own drinks. We came back to the table and noticed there were only two sets of forks and knifes and I did not see any service staff. I then walked across the outdoor seating area to find an empty table that still had silverware out. I grabbed those and brought them back to the table. About 5 minutes later someone came by and asked us if we wanted coffee which my step mother said "yes". She asked if she could get some cream and was not delivered the cream until after we received the check. The check had auto gratuity on it for %18 (which these people did nothing except say I had to go to a waffle house and give us a bill). I also wanted to note that there were three pieces of fresh toast left that were all burnt and the scrambled eggs we received were cold. On the bill it had room for an extra tip which I gladly commented "F@#$ No" on it. I hit my breaking point and this stage. This was the most intolerable stay at a hotel I have ever experienced and I stayed at more hotels than anyone I know. I just got back from Medellin, Columbia the week before and had a thousand time better experience there than in Key West. I think thats an interesting point to be made. The receipt is attached.

6) The only good experience of the entire trip was one individual that worked at the H2O bar (he setup lounge chairs and setup our jet-ski tour around the island for us). He was very polite and we tip him well for his excellent service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends