“ Absolutely the best restaurant in the keys! ”

The Flaming Buoy Filet Co.
Ranked #19 of 450 Restaurants in Key West
Price range: USD 9 - USD 32
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: An "only in Key West" restaurant, The Flaming Buoy Filet Co. makes a statement on the hushed stage of a residential neighborhood. It is one part retro supper club, one part sassy corner bistro, and one part highly personal whim. Fred Isch, self-proclaimed Air Force Brat, grew up in every geographic segment of the country with a mother who loved cooking and collecting recipes. His partner, Scot Forste, grew up on the farm where his mother, bored of city life, spontaneously relocated to get back to the land, breed horses, and grow fresh, healthy food. Every recipe on the Flaming Buoy menu is an interpretation of something Fred or Scot ate at their respective family tables. Local additions, like seafood, tropical fruits, and Cuban flavors reinterpret the nostalgia, and the result grabbed the attention of the New York Times in 2011. Whether from a porch seat next to pots of herbs, or inside a white dining room accented in orange, dining the Flaming Buoy way is delicious and fun.
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

You couldn't ask for a better place to eat! The staff is top notch, the food.... oh the food is hands down 5 star quality!!! The entire staff was simply amazing! I will be back for sure!! The lobster mac and cheese was absolutely spectacular and that's an understatement! I was beyond impressed.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,562)

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

This is the perfect place for a super dinner just after getting engaged :-) we booked a table via Yelp, asking for a "quiet area" but knowing that, 99% of times, this kind of request is never satisfied..well..we were wrong! They prepared for us a table in a quiet hidden corner of the restaurant, far from the others and very romantic! Actually, the overall atmosphere is quiet, elegant and romantic..with soft lights and small tables, perfect for couples!
The waiter, Jay (I am Sorry, I am italian... I hope I wrote the name correctly ) is so nice and professional! He offered us a toast of prosecco to celebrate. The food is really good...we tried the triple dish with a choice of three starter (shrimps, caprese salad,..) and another triple choice of entrees. Again, I am Italian.. and I Can tell you that these guys know how to cook pasta ;-) anyway, It is true that is not in the main street of Key west, but is Just at 5 minutes walking from Duval street and I really recommend to try this restaurant, for sure you won't be disappointed ;-)

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I were recommended this restaurant and we couldn't be happier that we followed that advice. The staff are very welcoming, it felt like we were returning to see old friends. The atmosphere is a charming casual vibe, rather than stuffy and awkward. Our waiter was Jay, and he was very patient and kind. He answered all of our questions, even the dumb ones, and had some great meal recommendations. Even though Jay(Joey?) was our waiter, we met everyone from the staff, including D Jesus. The food was amazing, and the appetizer sized serving of lobster Mac and cheese is a must. I had the trio entree which consisted of mahi mahi, pink shrimp, and bacon wrapped scallops. I was very impressed how the chef(s) took ingredients I had eaten many times before but arranged them in new and interesting ways. I'm surprised to say that the bacon wrapped scallops were possibly the most expected flavor, which is really saying something. My girlfriend had the fresh catch lime butter, which was snapper. I didn't get to try much of this because it was gone quickly, but it was tender, with a wonderful south Florida/Caribbean twist.

TL;DR
If you want a great, original meal in a restaurant where everyone knows your name, then you should make a reservation here!

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Went there for dinner and it was amazing. The food was great and tasted great. The staff was wonderful. They were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely return in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

I found this place quite enjoyable. It is small - in a converted house. There are at best 17-20 tables. The staff if great and the prices reasonable. My son loved the mac and lobster.