Review Highlights
Eh-just a beach

We had heard the beaches in Key West are not the best-and that is correct. We wanted to see for... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Sandy5byeweek
Cookeville, Tennessee
Great Children’s Beach

This is a little hidden gem if you’ve got small children. The water is shallow and clear. The woman... read more

Reviewed 21 September 2018

from USD 178.99
from USD 72.50
from USD 112.00
More Info
All reviews nice beach aids memorial key west beaches dog park long pier favorite beach white sand white street pier lot of seaweed low tide public restrooms sea grass rent chairs fish clear water key west garden club water shoes
Reviewed 27 August 2018

The beach is small and very smelly. The swim area does not have a sandy bottom. It is mucky and nasty.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

We just stopped by Higgs Beach on our self-guided island tour and had no plans to hang around for a day at the beach . . . thank goodness because this was nothing like any other beach I've ever visited. I knew that Key West is not known for their beaches so this didn't disappoint me however it was a little worse than I expected. The water came right up to the seawall and it was churning with black/brown muck. There is no way that anyone would walk into that water! Behind the seawall was a sandy lot but it was hot as blazes and not very inviting. We walked out on the pier and enjoyed being out on the water but that was about it. There were a couple of guys wind surfing near the pier and I kept wondering how they got in and out of the ocean without going through the muck at the seawall. I guess that will remain a mystery!

3  Thank smdaigle
Reviewed 18 August 2018

Key West is not known for its beaches. Higgs is one of the only ones with white sand (its not natural), but the beach is littered with seaweed and small. Its really one of only two choices you have as far as beaches go though.

1  Thank JoshuaL1866
Reviewed 18 August 2018

There is a lot of parking available at this beach area and it is a really pretty area. However, during our visit, there was lots of seaweed strewn over the entire beach area and it had a horrible odor. I am not that familiar with the area, so this could just be a seasonal thing. So, if it is just a seasonal thing, visiting here would probably be a very nice day at the beach.

1  Thank Celena B
Reviewed 17 August 2018

This beach wasn't very pretty when we went. I wouldn't recommend it, there are much prettier spots around the island, like the beach inside the state park where the fort is.

1  Thank Nicolle T