“Location, Location, Location + Seafood, Seafood, Seafood + Delicious, Delicious, DELICIOUS!”
Review of Pilot House

Pilot House
Reserve with OpenTable
Pilot House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 147 Restaurants in Key Largo
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Pilot House Marina, Restaurant and Glass Bottom Bar is located on Lake Largo in the heart of downtown Key Largo Florida just minutes from the best diving and fishing waters of the world. Enjoy air conditioned waterfront dining at our Pilot House Restaurant or relax at our casual Glass Bottom Bar and feed the fish while overlooking our five star marina. Perhaps you’d like to stroll our attraction rich boardwalk for dive trips, snorkeling trips or charter a fishing boat for the day. Or even consider taking a dinner cruise aboard the original steam powered African Queen or touring the Coral Restoration Foundation Educational Center. There are plenty of things to see and do for the entire family at this Key Largo landmark.
Reviewed 27 October 2017

According to Trip Advisor, there are 139 restaurants in Key Largo. That means I need to spend about 20 weeks here to eat lunch at every one of them.

One week down, 19 to go.

We chose to concentrate on the waterfront places this trip and the Pilot House is aptly named for its very prime location on Pilot House Marina (ah HA...so THAT's how they got such a prime location: they run the whole marina!).

The hostess was kind enough to seat us in a sort of "non smoking" area outside (away from the bar and close to the entrance where a northerly breeze gently blew in fresh air and provided an air curtain from smokers at the bar).

The view, the breeze, the wonderful fragrance of fresh fish being cooked.....NOW THAT is how one should dine in Key Largo on the water.

Once again, they had us on page one where the list of appetizers was just too good to pass up. Plus, appetizer portions are usually light enough that one can continue onto afternoon adventures without the need of a nap.

However, I took a dedicated glance at the salad menu and Viola! They had a "Pilot House Salad" where one could add Mahi-Mahi and they offered it "anyway you like it."

Blackened please.

My mouth is watering now as I recall this fish three hours after eating it. In a word: wow.

This fish was BLACKENED and the spices lightly encrusting it had just the right amount of impact for my pilate. Allow me that word again: wow.

Tasting this blackened mahi-mahi was one of those moments when you just place the bite in your mouth, close your eyes and SAVOR IT (gosh I'm having to swallow every couple of seconds here).

WOW.

Once I finished the fish, then I tackled the salad not wanting to risk jeopardy to the lingering memory of a wonderfully blackened fish flavor.

Well that concern was unnecessary because the salad itself had this "citrus vinaigrette" dressing that was (two new words) "mouth watering."

Forgive me for going on and ON about a FISH SALAD but seriously, IT WAS EPIC.

My wife opted for the "Hot Creamy Crab Dip" and she was wide eyed on her first taste. Its delicious ingredients are listed in the picture of the appetizers menu provided above and the simple description of "Tri Color Tortilla Chips" inadequately BRAGS about the tastiness of these chips. They were delicious on their own but they certainly augmented and complemented the crab dip.

I had a cup of crab soup and it worthy of its namesake.

All in all, after a week's worth of lunch time culinary delight in the Keys, we're both looking forward to the remaining 19 weeks we need to spend just in Key Largo.

Guess we better start spending a month at a time here (plus, it'll give us a chance to shop for some post Irma "abandon ship property sales" of landlubbers giving up paradise for fear of hurricanes!).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,361)

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Very friendly place with excellent service and entertainment with a Glass Bottom section and an open Marina & Oceanview side. After Irma they did a fantastic job getting things ready for opening and granted all locals and first responders to a free entrée. I was very impressed with my server Madelyn. and met the manager Mark. Thanks for an enjoyable evening.

1  Thank Bassist10
Reviewed 9 September 2017

My husband and I had a great dinner at the Pilot House. The food was excellent and the Key Lime Pie was the best we found our entire trip (and we taste tested a lot). The glass bottom bar and eating area on the pier was so much fun- we could watch the fish swimming under us. The band was great. Overall a unique and wonderful evening.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Came here a few weeks ago and had a splendid meal. Ordered the same dish a few days later and it was very disappointing and ordinary. What a shame ! Great location, perfect view.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

We were recommended to come have a good lunch after we went diving.
The recommendation turned out to be a great one!
We had our share of cold beer and a great fish platter.
Service was quick and friendly and the place was very nice.
Highly recommended to chill and relax after you go diving!