“I'll pass on this place.”

Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille
Ranked #23 of 147 Restaurants in Key Largo
Price range: USD 8 - USD 105
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

The churasco steak had a great flavor. Unfortunately that was the only redeeming feature of Ballyhoo's restaurant.
Interior was tired and not very clean. Waitress was attentive as I was her only customer.
Menu prices for everything seemed rather excessive for the basic bar ambience offered. $38 for a 16 oz bone in ribeye..... ouch. My selected steak was $22, pricey but reasonable enough. Same steak would have been $12 -$18 at most Key Largo establishments.
I do not plan on a return visit and do not recommend it unless you just want a beer at the bar.

salsballyhoos, Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

We are sorry you did not enjoy your meal.I assure you we have one of the cleanest restaurants in any of the keys and sorry you felt we are not up to par for your liking , as we have very high reviews, of how clean our restaurant is. We do have our prices on the menu for your convenience before you place your order.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Stopped by on our way out of the Keys for a quick fish sandwich (rather than a fast food joint). The parking was OK and the time to grab something to eat and dine was about 30 min. The ambiance was not very impressive, Ballyhoos is a typical off-water bar/food joint in the Keys. Only one waitress was working and she was very nice and attentive. Add one or two more customers and that may have changed. We ordered the onion encrusted hog fish sand wedge and they were quite good. The portion sizes were huge which is good as the price was a bit expensive (we should have split one). The side dishes were also generous in size and tasty with one being beans & rice and the other sautéed mushrooms. Not specifically a destination joint for us going forward. A nice stop for a relatively quick lunch on the road.

Thank you for the review, were glad you enjoyed our hog fish sandwich, as well as our side dishes. As for our ambiance we are a historic building and sorry we that you did not enjoy the rustic design.

Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

I will try to keep this short and sweet, although I could go on and on about this place. Vacationing with my parents, husband and 18 month old son over Labor Day in Key Largo, it was Tuesday, the day before we had to evacuate and head back to Ft Myers to prepare for Irma. Hardly any place was open and we drove right in Ballyhoo's(saw it online and thought it looked a bit pricy, usually we leave those for date nights) glad we did! Place was small, didn't have many 'frills' but who cares. The service was great, we enjoyed the homemade sangria and breadbasket w/ hot pepper jelly, pretzel bread and mini biscuits as well as our cracked conch app. Pretty much everything on the menu sounded delish but I chose the scallops topped w/crab special and my parents and husband, the hog fish special and I can't remember what it was exactly. We ALL thought the good was amazing! My dish was beyond amazing, so rich and flavorful. Now, we've been to some high end restaurants and I'm quite picky about food and I can't say enough about Ballyhoo's. I can't remember the last time I ate a meal this spectacular, even on our last cruise in May! Prices are more than your typical but it was so worth it, I would drive the few hours from our home on a Friday night just to eat here and stay overnight in the Keys, no joke. I hope it survived the hurricane because we want to go back. Thanks Sal's for a unforgettable dining experience!

salsballyhoos, Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Thank you for the five star review,were happy you enjoyed our food and drink.And your more than welcome to come join us in the keys anytime.

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

We had the best meal of our week in the Keys here . From the cool decor to the 80's rock background music to the great attention from our waitress , I have no hesitation in giving this place a five star review .

We weren't hungry going in and we're looking for some casual fare . We found it here with some helpful recommendations from our friendly waitress . Crab cakes were huge and tasty. The kids were delighted with their chicken tenders and with their hamburger .

The meal was finished off superbly with a key lime pie and lava cake .

1  Thank Mobrienrock
salsballyhoos, Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Thank you for the 5 star review,its customers like you that make us enjoy doing what we do .Serve great food and great customers.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Def would recommend Ballyhoo's - especially for vegans! They have a few awesome vegan selections (try the grilled cheese, and sweet potato burger - jalepeno jelly is AMAZING)!! It was so good, we literally had it 3 days in a row!

salsballyhoos, Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Thank You for the great review.We hope to see you again soon.