“Best meal in a long time”

Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille
Ranked #23 of 147 Restaurants in Key Largo
Price range: USD 8 - USD 105
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

I will try to keep this short and sweet, although I could go on and on about this place. Vacationing with my parents, husband and 18 month old son over Labor Day in Key Largo, it was Tuesday, the day before we had to evacuate and head back to Ft Myers to prepare for Irma. Hardly any place was open and we drove right in Ballyhoo's(saw it online and thought it looked a bit pricy, usually we leave those for date nights) glad we did! Place was small, didn't have many 'frills' but who cares. The service was great, we enjoyed the homemade sangria and breadbasket w/ hot pepper jelly, pretzel bread and mini biscuits as well as our cracked conch app. Pretty much everything on the menu sounded delish but I chose the scallops topped w/crab special and my parents and husband, the hog fish special and I can't remember what it was exactly. We ALL thought the good was amazing! My dish was beyond amazing, so rich and flavorful. Now, we've been to some high end restaurants and I'm quite picky about food and I can't say enough about Ballyhoo's. I can't remember the last time I ate a meal this spectacular, even on our last cruise in May! Prices are more than your typical but it was so worth it, I would drive the few hours from our home on a Friday night just to eat here and stay overnight in the Keys, no joke. I hope it survived the hurricane because we want to go back. Thanks Sal's for a unforgettable dining experience!

salsballyhoos, Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Thank you for the five star review,were happy you enjoyed our food and drink.And your more than welcome to come join us in the keys anytime.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

We had the best meal of our week in the Keys here . From the cool decor to the 80's rock background music to the great attention from our waitress , I have no hesitation in giving this place a five star review .

We weren't hungry going in and we're looking for some casual fare . We found it here with some helpful recommendations from our friendly waitress . Crab cakes were huge and tasty. The kids were delighted with their chicken tenders and with their hamburger .

The meal was finished off superbly with a key lime pie and lava cake .

1  Thank Mobrienrock
salsballyhoos, Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Thank you for the 5 star review,its customers like you that make us enjoy doing what we do .Serve great food and great customers.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Def would recommend Ballyhoo's - especially for vegans! They have a few awesome vegan selections (try the grilled cheese, and sweet potato burger - jalepeno jelly is AMAZING)!! It was so good, we literally had it 3 days in a row!

salsballyhoos, Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Thank You for the great review.We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Although rather expensive, the restaurant is basic and looks more like a local bar. The waitress was really friendly, but screwed up on the order, and got completely flustered afterwards. She was very friendly to comp us afterwards, and clearly felt bad. Food and drinks were good.

We thank You for your feed back.We are sorry that the waitress made a mistake with your order and fixed it to your satisfaction.Hope to serve you again in the future and make your experience a enjoyable one.Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We were in Key Largo where my daughters and I went to get SCUBA certified and stopped here our first night because one of daughters is vegan and read they had good options. Turned out they have a separate vegetarian menu with lots of good vegan choices, and lots of good seafood as well. The conch was delicious as were the fish dishes I had, which they cook via multiple styles. Even though we were only in town 4 nights we went back a second time our final night and the experience was just as good. And their key lime peanut butter pies were excellent. Finally, the waitstaff was responsive and friendly. All and all an enjoyable dining experience both nights.

thank you for the great review,we hope to serve you again when your in town.