“Came for Fried Clams”

A La Carte
Price range: USD 8 - USD 19
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Quaint Boutique Style Restaurant serving The Best! New England Clam Chowder, Authentic Maine Lobster Roll with Cape Cod Chips, Southern Ham Salad Sandwich with Cape Cod Potato Chips, Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwich with Cape COD Chips, Cobb Salad with Assorted Greens Topped with Chopped Grilled Chicken, tomato, crumbled BLU Cheese, Chopped Bacon with Champagne Vinaigrette on the side, Shrimp Tossed in a Sweet Louie Sauce placed on a Bed of Salad Greens with Grape Tomatoes and Champagne Vinaigrette on the side, Three Mini Lump Crab Cakes on a Bed of Salad Green and Grape Tomatoes, with a Champagne Vinaigrette on the side, Tarragon Chicken Salad on a Bed of Assorted Greens and Grape Tomatoes with a Champagne Vinaigrette Served on the Side, Maine Lobster Salad served on A Bed of Salad Greens with Grape Tomatoes with a Champagne Vinaigrette Served on the side. PLUS now offering Gluten Free Lunch Menu of All the Above except the Crab Cakes and Clam Chowder. Soup Specials Occasionally Offered and Other Entrees Sorry we do not serve beer or wine just soft drinks and water bottles A La Carte is a Home Style place, Chef Jennifer does the entire service from taking your order,preparing and serving your order. Enjoy the ambiance of Soft Classical Music playing in the background and enjoy your conversation with your guest, or enjoy reading while Chef Jennifer prepares your lunch.
Reviewed 4 February 2017

I was shocked when I first opened the doors to this cozy place, but I was hoping for some fried clams but it was not on the VERY limited menu. I was also hoping for some DECENT plates and silverware. The lobster rolls were decent and were a little bit over priced. Overall, I will not be returned to Chef Jennifer's A La Carte. I may come back if she offers a special on Groupon, which I've is VERY rare.

chefjen46, Owner at A La Carte, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2017

Sorry Jerry you could not get your clams. I haven't served them in over a year and a half.
It was that long since you last came to A La Carte? My Lobster Roll is priced very fairly at $19.95 with cape cod potato chips. They are served in nice red and white boat boxes just like you would get up in New England. My new salad plates are served on China plates but I am keeping the authentic style of serving the Maine Lobster Roll served in the cute/nice boat boxes. I am not a fancy place but it's a small boutique style lunch area to enjoy a nice lunch with a bit of classical music playing so you can relax and enjoy your lunch calmly. Oh I will never be on groupon. If you go north next time you will be paying $24.00 and up for the same roll In The same paper basket box. I am very reasonable since I have to ship the lobster meat in. Sorry you won't be joining me at my place anymore everyone else seems to be enjoying the New menu I have and the ambience of MY facility. It's a charming cottage serving delicious items.

Reviewed 30 September 2016

They have served good New England seafood, shipped in fresh from the Northeast. They have changed their menu not serving fried clams due to the cost. Now they are specializing on Maine lobster rolls.

chefjen46, Owner at A La Carte, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2016

First of all to everyone. I am a great Chef of 25 years. My ex husband walked out and didn't want to cook anymore or work. He only did the fried items in the shop and I did 90% of all the cooking for A La Carte. Little did you know I just made him look good. I really don't care what any of you think of me or my cooking. You have no idea what I have been through. When someone walks out on you and tries to destroy what you have built for 25 years is a real sad sack. Roger thinks he is a great musician, funny he doesn't have a band. All of you who think my Lobster Rolls are expensive head up to Maine and experience the $25 plus Lobster roll. I am tired of all the complaining how expensive I am and I don't know what I am doing. Boy you don't have a clue what is good. I only want my nice quality style people to visit my place I am not a full fledge restaurant never wanted to be. I am the only top notch Catering and Event design business at the beaches. My lunch area is small and quaint and i only offering quaint delicious special lunches.
My menu at A La Carte. New England Clam chowder $5,95 - $7.95-$9.95 Lobster roll $19.95 Chicken salad roll $8.95 Shrimp salad Roll $12.95 or a Jumbo Hot dog $6.95 Some days you may see a special like Lump Crab cake sandwich. PLEASE if you think I am expensive don't come to enjoy a lunch.
Please do not come to eat at my place if you can't afford it.
Go eat down the street but don't tear my place down because you can't afford it.

I am now offering my facility for private luncheons and Chef Jennifer will design a custom menu for your luncheon. A La Carte is a full service catering company.

If you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all. I am trying to make a living
With all your comments knocking down my business is just unfair. If you can't afford it,don't visit my place. I am done with the negativity all you people are showing me. I would rather have quality people eat at my place then people who don't understand food.

I am trying to have all pictures on this site changed but trip advisor doesn't want to accommodate me in changing them. I would love to have all the fried items off this site.

Reviewed 1 August 2016

Their lobster roll is definitely the closest thing I can find to New England cuisine in the Southeast. Absolutely delicious!

It is a little expensive for a lunch, but it is worth it. It is very close to public beach access with indoor and outdoor seating. Make sure to check out their take-home meals that can be heated up in your oven.

Their lunch menu is limited to a few options each day, but they have many more options for catering. My family used their catering services and we were very pleased with their service.

Reviewed 12 May 2016

My husband & I recently visited for lunch. They used to be closed on Wednesday but have new hours. My only disappointment was a small menu change which removed clam strips from the menu. They do have other choices. I grew up in Cape Cod so I enjoyed the Lobstah Roll ( Lobster Roll for southerners!) My husband had the crab cake sandwich. We also had some lobster bisque & clam chowder. The food was good. Bagged cape cod chips & canned soda keep it casual. Red checkered table cloths, red plastic trays & plastic silverware grace the several small tables they have. It is in a small cottage so large parties may be a bit cramped. The prices are a bit high so it isn't a daily stop, but definitely a nice treat once in a while.

1  Thank MJmglS
chefjen46, Owner at A La Carte, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2016

Oh I am so glad you felt comfortable in my cozy cottage. You mentioned that we were expensive but we are the lease expensive in town for real Maine lobster rolls and it's all Maine lobster without any filler, $18.95 and the clam chowder 8 oz cup $4.95 and the Lobster Bisque $6.25 and the crab cake sandwich is all lump crabmeat again without filler for $14.95. These are really respectable prices for serving expensive products. Yes we stopped serving any fried food items a yer ago May 1st. I wanted to still offer a delicious New England style Mel but a bit healthier aspect of it. We do have a New England clam cake made like my crab cake and ttheHaddock is Baked now not fried. Well I hope to see you again and Really glad you enjoyed your experience with us. Happy spring\Summer. Thanks again

Reviewed 7 February 2016

I went there last year just for the lobster roll, which shouldn't be so hard to find here, but sadly, is. I don't know what I was thinking not asking what kind it was ahead of time. I'd been drooling about a hot lobster roll simply done in butter on a toasty roll, so when this cold mayo based roll came out, I was a bit disappointed, but still enjoyed it. I asked if they had the other kind, and was told no. All in all, it was pretty good for what it was, but was on the small side. I could've easily eaten a second, but not at those prices. If anyone knows where I can find a hot, buttery lobster roll, (Connecticut style), in this town, I'd sure love to know about it. My search is still on.

chefjen46, Owner at A La Carte, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2016

Hi there I am the owner\chef and first I want to thank you. For coming in and trying us out. We ship our Maine lobster in from up north via FedEx,so you can understand the cost factor shipping in real Maine lobster for our Maine lobster rolls. We don't use Florida lobster for our rolls. Everyone has their own way to make lobster rolls and clam chowder up north. If you do ever come back ask for a lobster roll plain with the warm butter on the side. This one I don't put any mayo in it. The lobster roll is served cold but the butter is warm. We don't exploit that we make it that but some like it that way. We have no problem doing this for some people. The original way we prepare is with a touch of mayonnaise and a little shredded lettuce in a toasted split top bun.
Our Lobster Roll is $18.95 and comes with a bag of cape cod potato chips. Sorry you think that is expensive but with the cost of the Maine lobster, spilt top bun we have made for it, the touch of lettuce, dab of mayo, cape cod chips and red & white checked throw way container, napkin and fork and gas to lightly toast off the bun all adds up. When you one day own a restaurant you will see all the extra that are involved in pricing out a lunch entree. I hope to see you again but if not I hope now you understand the pricing structure of our lunch entrees. We try to make it a fun atmosphere and delicious experience. We are not from Connecticut but this is one way they make them in Maine.