“OK but Overpriced”

A La Carte
Price range: USD 8 - USD 19
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Quaint Boutique Style Restaurant serving The Best! New England Clam Chowder, Authentic Maine Lobster Roll with Cape Cod Chips, Southern Ham Salad Sandwich with Cape Cod Potato Chips, Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwich with Cape COD Chips, Cobb Salad with Assorted Greens Topped with Chopped Grilled Chicken, tomato, crumbled BLU Cheese, Chopped Bacon with Champagne Vinaigrette on the side, Shrimp Tossed in a Sweet Louie Sauce placed on a Bed of Salad Greens with Grape Tomatoes and Champagne Vinaigrette on the side, Three Mini Lump Crab Cakes on a Bed of Salad Green and Grape Tomatoes, with a Champagne Vinaigrette on the side, Tarragon Chicken Salad on a Bed of Assorted Greens and Grape Tomatoes with a Champagne Vinaigrette Served on the Side, Maine Lobster Salad served on A Bed of Salad Greens with Grape Tomatoes with a Champagne Vinaigrette Served on the side. PLUS now offering Gluten Free Lunch Menu of All the Above except the Crab Cakes and Clam Chowder. Soup Specials Occasionally Offered and Other Entrees Sorry we do not serve beer or wine just soft drinks and water bottles A La Carte is a Home Style place, Chef Jennifer does the entire service from taking your order,preparing and serving your order. Enjoy the ambiance of Soft Classical Music playing in the background and enjoy your conversation with your guest, or enjoy reading while Chef Jennifer prepares your lunch.
Reviewed 7 February 2016

I went there last year just for the lobster roll, which shouldn't be so hard to find here, but sadly, is. I don't know what I was thinking not asking what kind it was ahead of time. I'd been drooling about a hot lobster roll simply done in butter on a toasty roll, so when this cold mayo based roll came out, I was a bit disappointed, but still enjoyed it. I asked if they had the other kind, and was told no. All in all, it was pretty good for what it was, but was on the small side. I could've easily eaten a second, but not at those prices. If anyone knows where I can find a hot, buttery lobster roll, (Connecticut style), in this town, I'd sure love to know about it. My search is still on.

chefjen46, Owner at A La Carte, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2016

Hi there I am the owner\chef and first I want to thank you. For coming in and trying us out. We ship our Maine lobster in from up north via FedEx,so you can understand the cost factor shipping in real Maine lobster for our Maine lobster rolls. We don't use Florida lobster for our rolls. Everyone has their own way to make lobster rolls and clam chowder up north. If you do ever come back ask for a lobster roll plain with the warm butter on the side. This one I don't put any mayo in it. The lobster roll is served cold but the butter is warm. We don't exploit that we make it that but some like it that way. We have no problem doing this for some people. The original way we prepare is with a touch of mayonnaise and a little shredded lettuce in a toasted split top bun.
Our Lobster Roll is $18.95 and comes with a bag of cape cod potato chips. Sorry you think that is expensive but with the cost of the Maine lobster, spilt top bun we have made for it, the touch of lettuce, dab of mayo, cape cod chips and red & white checked throw way container, napkin and fork and gas to lightly toast off the bun all adds up. When you one day own a restaurant you will see all the extra that are involved in pricing out a lunch entree. I hope to see you again but if not I hope now you understand the pricing structure of our lunch entrees. We try to make it a fun atmosphere and delicious experience. We are not from Connecticut but this is one way they make them in Maine.

Reviewed 14 January 2016

I love this place. It is a little "quirky" but the food is awesome. The lobster roll is my favorite.

Reviewed 18 December 2015 via mobile

Owner short order cook rude, yelled at us because we completed about the bad fish sandwich was dry and tasted old. Told us to leave and not come back. Would not give us something different unless we paid for it. No wonder everyone was complaining. No fried clams because chef retired, maybe I'd quit if she was as bad to him as she was to her customers. She almost ran out to yell at us. DON'T GO expensive for bad food

3  Thank Victor F
chefjen46, Owner at A La Carte, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2015

I am so tired of telling people we no longer serving and fried items on our menu. We stopped serving all fried clams, haddock, shrimp, French fries. Please everyone get over it. Do not come to La Carte if you think you will get them. It's all explained on our Bio on trip advisor. This person who is complaining WAS AS RUDE THEY COME.My gal who works for me in the front was shocked and had to come get me to handle this RUDE couple. I will not stand for RUDENESS to anyone who works for me. All you New Englanders do not come in if you are trying to sabotage my facility. I have been a certified executive chef for 24 years. This Person wouldn't know good food if it hit them in the face. Amazing he gobbled the incredible lobster roll and the Haddock fish sandwich which is prepared with a lemon basil sauce is a wonderful healthy sandwich. Everyone who has it, besides this person has raived over it. They wanted fried and we do not prepare it that way anymore. These people were so chic (kidding), that they took the sandwich and threw it on my front steps and smushed it so people would walk on it. Incredibly tacky and I think that speaks for itself what type of people I threw out of my restaurant. I will not stand for unruly people in my establishment. Very tacky tacky people. The past chef was my husband and retired, good for him. I have taken over at the helm and believe me I. Know what I am doing and more...

Reviewed 9 November 2015

They should just close since she ran off Chef Roger as she is not a Chef or even a decent cook, she is a shoemaker at best.

2  Thank Jeanspencer2013
Reviewed 15 September 2015

In terms of taste, the lobster roll was delicious! However, I can only give 4 stars because I was disappointed in the size of it. In comparison to a lobster roll that you'd get in Cape Cod or Maine, it was quite small for the price. With that said, I do understand that those places up north probably get their lobster a lot cheaper since it's more prevalent to the region. However, as good as it was, I did leave there feeling a bit underwhelmed due to the size of it. I definitely could have eaten a second one without a problem

1  Thank Greg J