“Now the best in town!”

Samurai Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar
Ranked #130 of 625 Restaurants in Gainesville
Price range: USD 3 - USD 25
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Yamato used to be the best in Gainesville, but Samurai has changed that. The two have moved in opposite directions. Samurai has much better food, generous portions, and excellent service. The hibachi filet mingon was outstanding We will definitely be going back often,

1  Thank Tom M

Reviewed 22 December 2017

We had a great time at Samurai Japanese Steak House. We did the Table meals with another couple. Every item was prepared well and tasted great, and the quantities were larger than expected. Highly recommended; a better buy than the chain that competes with this concept.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

Took our grand daughter there for a birthday, party of 8. Arrived at 7 (exactly on time) and waited for several minutes for the hostess to return. Seated about 7:05. Got drink order and salads then waited. At 8, our daughter-in-law asked the manager when the chef would be coming. Was informed they were short handed and that he would be there soon. There were only two other tables there and one had been seated after us. When he finally came he was entertaining but not the best cook. Four of us ordered steak medium rare and got well done. I realize that it is hard to cook steak slices on a flat top to med rare but if everything is going to be well done, don't ask how I want it. Veggies, rice and noodles were done first. Huge portions!!! Steaks were done next, then seafood and finally chicken. Cooking took almost an hour so by the time the chicken was done, the rest of us were done and the rice and veggies were cold. She took her's home in a box to microwave. We left the restaurant at 9:20. On the god side, restaurant was clean and the chef was entertaining (though needs work on his fire juggling or a good insurance plan). Portions were large and price was reasonable. Drink service was good. Going back to Yamotos.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Maybe it was because it was a little after noon on a Wednesday that it took nearly hour to be served the food, or maybe it was because it looked like there were only 2 people behind the line cooking for a partially full dining room, but if I wasn't here with co-workers, I would have left. The waitress was friendly despite running around crazy. I was a little disappointed with the item I ordered. They may have very good sushi, but I am not a fan of sushi. The chicken teriyaki was slightly better than what I expected and the vegetables were great. However, overall, I left feeling 'meh'. The one thing really did get me was that the price I was charged was a dollar more than what was printed on the menu. It's only a dollar, but still frustrating being charged a different price than advertised.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Samurai has been a staple restaurant for
Me being so close to home. They have a large menu, very reasonable prices and most importantly - consistently good food.
They have an entire hibachi section which I haven't actually tried. Their sushi and Japanese appetizers are fantastic though. Service is typically fast, as well as the food to table times. Don't miss this bargain tucked behind Publix.