“There is something about a steak done right”

Mark's Prime Steakhouse
Ranked #33 of 646 Restaurants in Gainesville
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: SE 1st ST
Description: Marks Prime Steakhouse has a goal to create a unique dining experience that will please the palate and soothe the soul. We serve the finest beef, freshest seafood, premium wines and naturally fresh vegetables. We hope to see you soon.
Reviewed 14 August 2018

I like a juicy, rare steak, so you could imagine my excitement when Dragonfly said the wait was gonna be 45 minutes and my wife said, "Let's go to a steakhouse." This was our 25th wedding anniversary dinner, so of course, we had a good size budget. I had always wanted to visit Mark's Prime Steakhouse and this was my "silver" opportunity.

Upon entering we were greeted by a well-dressed individual who promptly sat us at a well-made table. The atmosphere was excellent; not too loud and not too bright. Water was immediately poured and our waiter asked if we wanted to order any drinks. My wife ordered a Dark & Stormy and I ordered an Old Fashioned. The drinks were quickly delivered. My wife said the Dark & Stormy was excellent with just the right amount of ginger. My Old Fashioned was okay but could have used a tad more sugar. Regardless, we were having a great time.

My mouth was watering for a great steak I heard so much about, which is probably why it was disappointing. When you hear all these good things about something, your expectations are elevated and undoubtedly you get disappointed with the real product.

The waiter brought us a loaf of bread (about the size of your hands if you touched fingertip to fingertip. I ordered the 20 oz. Bone in Ribeye, rare, for $47. Yes, a $47 steak with no sides included... À la carte as the waiter explained. This was gonna be fantastic. My wife ordered the 16 oz Delmonico Ribeye medium-rare for $40. We also ordered the lyonnaise potatoes and bacon roasted Brussel sprouts as sides to share and a lobster escargot as an appetizer.

The bread was fantastic. The lobster escargot came to the table a short time later and was succulent and rich with flavor. An excellent choice. A short time later, our steaks made it to the table. They both arrived on extremely hot plates that when you cut a piece of steak and placed it on the edge would sizzle. I cut into my steak to find it more like medium instead of rare. Okay, no problem, this was the edge of the steak, let me dig a little deeper... disappointment. When the waiter stopped by to ask if everything was okay, I explained that my steak was cooked too much. He blew me off by saying, "You haven't even gotten to the bone. That is where it's rare." Excuse me...? I gave him the benefit of the doubt and continued getting closer and closer to the bone. Halfway through, the steak is definitely medium. I gave a bit to my wife and she agreed. Her medium-rare steak was rarer than my so-called rare steak. The taste was ok, but I had this yearning for a rare steak. The waiter offered to fix it by bringing me another steak, but I had already eaten half of this and the mood of the dinner had already soured.

In the end, the waiter offered the two drinks we had as a courtesy. A very nice gesture, but what I really wanted, to begin with, was a rare 20 oz ribeye. For $47, you would expect the steak you order to be cooked to perfection as the waiter stated. Without being charged for our drinks, our total for dinner (including tip) was $160. I thought that was properly priced for the atmosphere, great service, and delicious food. I just wish I would have had the experience my mind was expecting.

We probably won't be back as I would rather spend $47 on two ribeyes and cook them with my wife. The time spent together would be just as romantic and I would cook my steak how I like it... rare.

Reviewed 21 July 2018

Our corporate team will dine here at least monthly. This time I chose to make it a friends dinner with a couple of favorites of ours.

As always, service was impeccable. Our server made excellent wine recommendations to start and visited the table often to make sure "stems" weren't dry.

As an appetizer we ordered crab cakes and the lobster tails ala escargot. Both were flavorful and the right amount to start off our dinner. Salads, even the half serving were plentiful topped with quality dressings. For dinner two of us had the 11 oz filet that was perfectly seared on the outside and tender and juicy when cut. A third member of our group ordered the grilled seafood platter which was well seasoned and flavorful. Our other guest ordered a dinner portion of large shrimp, which were well prepared and large. Sides of spinach, asparagus, and mushrooms were tasty and complimented the menu selections quite well.

We are regulars, I will be back next week with our corporate team.

Reviewed 19 July 2018

Mark's Prime is the best steakhouse in Gainesville. Excellent service, superb food. You are left wanting nothing.

1  Thank junekid
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

The steaks at Mark’s are very good and served on hot plates - which is a nice touch. The double-baked potato is big enough to serve three and has a great cheese and bacon mixture. Swordfish was very good, as well. Desserts were exceptional. Service was also very good. Very pleased and will visit again.

Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

We decided to try out Mark’s for the first time and it didn’t disappoint. If you are looking for a Ruth Chris’ type of experience with equal quality, (and corresponding prices) this is the place. Ruth Chris has always been our special occasion restaurant & now having moved to Gainesville, we’ve found a great substitute.

Husband &I both had the filets, cooked perfectly medium rare (he had the 11 oz & for me, the 7 oz & we had leftovers. Also split the lyonnaise potatoes & also had some for the next day. Ditto for the dessert—banana raisin walnut bread pudding with vanilla ice cream. Killed the bottle of sparkling!

Everything was so well prepared—we even scarfed down the round of fresh bread. Certainly one of the most enjoyable meals we’ve had since moving to Gainesville 3 years ago. My picky husband pronounced it THE best meal he’s had in Gainesville so far. Well done Mark’s Prime. Ask for Nick when you go—personal, superb service.