“Beautiful place!”

Butterfly Rainforest
Ranked #1 of 74 things to do in Gainesville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Butterfly Rainforest is a 6,400-square-foot screened exhibit exposed to typical Florida weather conditions, resulting in a more natural environment for the butterflies and plants. This living exhibit features hundreds of free-flying butterflies, typically 60-80 species at any given time, birds from around the world and an assortment of other animals including turtles and fish to experience firsthand. The lush landscape is planted in tropical trees and colorful flowering plants amid waterfalls and a walking path. Skilled interpretive staff are available to help answer questions and provide visitors with a personal and highly engaging experience. View live butterfly releases Monday through Friday at 2 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m., weather permitting.
Reviewed 23 April 2018

Extremely pleased to visit the Butterfly Rainforest. Spent a couple of hours just watching the butterflies fly past and over us. Catch pictures when you can because they move quickly. They might light on you! Experience exotic butterflies, vibrant birds and cascading tropical waterfalls in a lush tropical garden!

2  Thank ginniedroz
Paul R, Public Relations Manager at Butterfly Rainforest, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2018

Hello ginniedroz,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We’re glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards,
Paul Ramey

Write a ReviewReviews (1,027)
All reviews
"beautiful butterflies"
in 71 reviews
"small birds"
"butterflies flying"
in 18 reviews
"museum of natural history"
in 37 reviews
"wings"
"take your time"
"great for kids"

Reviewed 17 April 2018

I was at the Butterfly Rain forest in March 2018. I was glad I went as the plants and streams were so relaxing. I did notice that you should go through all the pathways and return back before the show. They pull out examples of the different butterflies, at the end of the program. So many beautiful butterflies are loose in the botanical atmosphere. I had several that landed all over me. I'm glad nobody took a picture when a huge blue moth was on my face. It was a great day to spend a couple of hours relaxing. Oh I almost forgot, the entrance has a great filming that you can be in. I pretended elephants were in my face and the kids up front just loved it. Me too.

2  Thank Wanda1960
Reviewed 16 April 2018

This is a very nice small butterfly enclosure. While this is not as significant an attraction as Butterfly World, is very nice for what it is

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

We look our seven year old grand daughter here. We all enjoyed learning about the different butterflies. Our granddaughter enjoyed have the butterflies land on her. The place is lovely and relaxing. The store is a plus. We were able to buy some plants outside which we loved.

1  Thank LarrySory