“A GREAT Family Vacation!”

Destin West Beach and Bay Resort
Decorah, Iowa
“A GREAT Family Vacation!”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I was able to stay at this resort for a full year (Jan11-Jan12) so I decided to write a review because I have some good information to share with you.
Destin West Bayside has the lazy river as you can see in the picture and 3 heated pools, and 2 hot tubs. Gulf side has 1 heated indoor/outdoor (it doesn’t get much sun but great for the winter months) and 1 huge outdoor pool hot tub, and a gym. You also get to utilize the Ramada Inn's amenities which include room service (even to the bayside!) a large pool with a cool mountain with waterfall and bar inside the mountain, 1 hot tub, and another pool, and a small gym. So as you can see there are plenty of pools if you don’t want to swim in the ocean.
If you have little ones under 4 I would recommend the gulf side because the Ramada has this nice little kids water park area roughly 50ft x50ft (there are no kiddy pools besides this area) and there is an outdoor bar overlooking the gulf about 100 ft away so parents can enjoy themselves also.
If you have kids 4-18 I would definitely recommend the bayside. The lazy rive really is something of its own. Even though it is chilly year round the view you have with all the pools lit up is really nice. The little kids love stacking those inner tubes! It is good for the teens also because they can walk over to the beach or hang out in the Gulf Side pools without mom or dad watching them. There is a great security guard named Jim on the bayside and he will make sure they don’t get into trouble. You can also talk to him and ask him to call you, etc if you want some extra comfort. The walk over to the gulf takes about 5 minutes but it is MUCH safer than trying to run or walk across 98 and you are secluded on the bayside which is nice. There is also a Tom Thumb gas station (open 24 hours) within walking distance from the bayside which comes in handy.
If you are 16-30 it is a split decision where you would want to stay. The Gulf Side has fewer kids and if you are hung over or want to sleep in past 10am each day you would like the Gulf Side better because of fewer kids. In the winter months there are hardly any kids so it doesn’t matter then but over the summer Bayside is definitely filled with kids. I am 24 and I still enjoy the lazy river and the overall view at the bayside is amazing. YOU MUST KNOW THE POOL AREAS CLOSE AT 10PM! This may seem like a burden if you want to stay out late but it really is nice for those trying to sleep or with little ones.
There is an outdoor beach night club(The Swamp), dueling piano bar(Howl at the Moon), and great local bars(my favorite is The Salty Duck b/c it has like 30 beers on tap) nearby within walking distance so don't fret about the 10PM closing time because those places stay open until 4am. You will just have to walk outside of Destin West to find things to do.
Those of you with little kids will LOVE the peace and quiet the place provides after dark. Also, I talked about the night life but Destin West is a very quiet place when it comes to partying and rarely have I seen someone who appeared intoxicated on the pool deck. Even then it was two dads just having a good time and not causing problems.
If you are younger than 35, have a family, or feel like you are 20 I recommend Bayside. I know some people complain about some rooms not having new TVs but there is so much to do and see you shouldn't be inside and if there is a game on there are two GREAT sports bars nearby with Anglers and Helen Back.
I hope you chose to stay at Destin West and feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

Room Tip: Bayside does have a slight white noise sound from the lazy river Ask if your room has a hot tub, mo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
41 Thank theblane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
New Salem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This place was excellent. clean. The room was huge. Beautiful view of the bay. I stayed in room 501 in the Heron. I would highly recommend this place. The only downfall was that we went in December/January and it was a little cold. We had one great 70's day on the beach though. Great place to stay. In the summer there would be more for the kids to do.

Room Tip: I got the corner lot which was absolutely huge and had enough room for me, my hubby, mother in law...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank 3dizzy_dee33
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My family and I decided to travel to the Ft. Walton/Destin area for Thanksgiving. It is important to note that we stayed in PH02. I cannot speak for the other units, just PH02 in the Heron Building.

First the PROS -

Beautiful view of the bay
Nice pool areas (thankful they were heated)
Nice hot tubs (both private and public)
Kitchen was more than accommodating for having Thanksgiving Dinner
Loved having the provided carts for luggage and groceries
and the complex was close to everything!

CONS -

No locks on interior doors (even the bathroom?? Really? The shower has a clear glass door and you have to worry that someone is going to barge in!)
Tiny TV's in 2 of 3 bedrooms (I'm talking 10" tube TV's... crazy)
Not enough sitting room for 5 adults (let alone the 8 it sleeps)
Our bed was squeaky and I felt like I was going to fall out of it due to the large hump in the middle (my 6 month old daughter woke up because my husband got out of bed... it was that loud)
Nowhere to put toiletries in the bathroom (one little soapdish in the shower does not suffice!)
The rugs throughout the condo were terrible and they were in EVERY room (as soon as you would step on them, the rug would slip and cause you to almost fall over... safety hazard anyone?)
And last but certainly not least - Kids should not be allowed to swim in the lazy river. There was a group of about 5-6 kids that would refuse to move out of the way for the intertubes floating by and would swim under the water to look at the underside view (you get my drift... why is this allowed????)

Granted, my husband, daughter and I did not have the Master Suite. We had one of the smaller rooms. But I expected a lot more from a "Penthouse". Why in the world would I drive 12-13 hours when I have a bigger bathroom and better TV's at my home? If it's just for the view, why would I pay for a Penthouse? Great location! Beautiful views! But not worth the extra money.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank BethThomas84
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed here on Thanksgiving week in 2011. We stayed in the Heron building (bayside) in PH02. The unit was very spacious and beautiful. The panoramic views were great to wake up to every day and everything was clean. My only complaint would be that the beds were uncomfortable. Overall, I was highly impressed by the cleanliness and beauty of this entire property and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank aweiler
Marine City, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This condo was more than we expected. Very clean Great view, We stayed 6 nights and enjoyed every min. Saved a lot of money by eating in. Went to a seafood market and spent 100.00 on seafood and had our own boil. and several other meals. I recommend eating at Deweys in Destin. Awesome food and great service. my only complaint was the king bed was very hard, but I fixed that by going to wal-mart and buying a memory foam topper.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank ThePetPlace
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Walton Beach
1.0 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton B...
#1 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
0.9 km away
Emerald Coast Inn & Suites
Emerald Coast Inn & Suites
#15 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
1.8 km away
Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfront
Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfro...
#2 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
25.6 km away
Courtyard by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
22.1 km away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
0.4 km away
Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin
Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach R...
#10 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach

Been to Destin West Beach and Bay Resort? Share your experiences!