“Fabulous Crab Cakes with a Waterfront View”

The Shack - Original Waterfront Crab Shack
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 16 October 2015

Fabulous Crab Cakes with a slightly spicy dipping sauce, served with homemade cole slaw, hush puppies, and one side. Lunch was great .. not too crowded by mid-afternoon .. the server let me choose my table, and I chose one by a big open wooden window with a beautiful waterfront view. Two butterflies fluttered together just outside that window the whole time I was there, a statue of a seagull and gazebo adorned on the adjacent lawn, along with a charming dock and the shimmering water. The view was as great as the food! The restaurant seems a little small compared to some of the newer bigger places, but the ambiance is like a cool fishing shack painted a bright sunny yellow with metal art of palm trees and colorful fish adorning the walls and lots of big sunny windows with a great water view! It was charming :) The food was outstanding, and the service was great. I was in Destin, and it was definitely worth the drive to Fort Walton Beach! Just watch for the sign, as it sits a little back from the highway. I wanted the best crab cakes in the area, and from what I read, this honestly sounded like one of the Top Two. I was staying at beach condos, and when I asked about this place at the front desk, the hotel agent was kind to get a little book and give me a coupon for a free menu item (buy one menu item and get one free up to $18)! So there are coupons floating around for this restaurant! I recommend a late lunch so you can have your pick of a great table with a view .. and definitely recommend the crab cakes! :)

Reviewed 15 October 2015

Visited with 2 freinds and found it not to be a fancy place but food is excellent and freshly prepared. Will bring neighbors with me upon my return. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 13 October 2015

I like the setting, where you can choose to sit inside, outside, or in between .. Menu is based on seafood, but they do offer other option for people not liking seafood. Overall quality is good, and stuff is always nice and polite. The have live music at times, and most of all ... this is not as crazy as other tourist restaurant in the area.

Reviewed 13 October 2015 via mobile

We like to try different seafood places while we're visiting Fort Walton. We have now found our absolute favorite! The temperature was around 75-80 degrees while we were there, so they opened the windows and there was a nice breeze. I'm ashamed to say that I can't even remember what my husband and kids ate. I had a snow crab and peel-and-eat shrimp. The plate came, and it had 2 large crab leg clusters, about 10-12 shrimp, 3 small potatoes, and coleslaw. The crab legs and shrimp were sprinkled with an Old Bay type seasoning. This will now be known to us as the place where my daughters (3 and 10) fell in love with crab and shrimp :) Good thing there was a lot of food! It was seriously the BEST crab legs and shrimp I have ever had. We will make that a mandatory place to eat every time we visit from now on.

Reviewed 12 October 2015 via mobile

Traveling through the panhandle, my husband and I stopped for lunch yesterday. Husband got the seafood combo, I got raw oysters and the crab salad. We loved our food, the service was great and the view was very nice with very relaxed atmosphere.