“A real gem in a mall”
Review of Cafe Italia

Cafe Italia
Ranked #64 of 996 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Price range: USD 9 - USD 30
Description: The newly renovated Cafe Italia invites customers to experience the authentic flavors of Italy. Owner Michele Romano is from Naples, Italy, and attended culinary school prior to working in Italy and Europe. "I've been cooking for 30 years," Romano explained. "Cooking and giving the customer the best dining experience is my passion” Romano's delicious dishes and his attitude that the customer is number one, keeps the customer coming back. Cafe italia is open for lunch from 11am-4:30pm with a variety of menu items ranging from appetizers, soups and salads, sub sandwiches, pastas and desserts Cafe Italia is open for dinner from 4:30pm-9pm The dinner menu includes appetizers, soups and salads chicken and salmon dishes, pasta, crespelles and desserts Specialty items will be offered at times for dinner also. Wine and Italian beer are available for lunch and dinner. Lunch and dinner items are available for takeout. Cafe Italia looks forward to serving you,
Reviewed 9 October 2018

We ate here for dinner while visiting Sanibel. The place did not look like much as it was tucked into strip mall and dwarfed by a Publix Grocery. However, the food was incredible. The chef (who seems to do everything except wait tables) cooks in the Venetian style. I had cuttlefish in a black ink sauce over polenta which was amazing. My wife raved about the sauce on her salmon picatta a d my son loved the mushroom and spinach ravioli. We finished with a dessert sampler which included a cannoli, a flaky ricotta filled pastry and a rum cake. Everyhting was outstanding and well presented. I even looked at some of the dishes going to other patrons and saw a liver and onions dish that looked great as well (yeah, I know, who eats liver and onions?). The decor isn't much (someone thought the restaurant was previously an ice cream shop.) The staff is friendly, but a little slow. However, the location is only a fe minutes from Sanibel. We plan on coming back!

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 12 September 2018

We went here for lunch upon a friend's recommendation and were very glad we did. The menu prices were reasonable and the portions were good. The ingredients were home made and very flavorful. My wife ordered the Ponchetta Sub which was tender slices of roast pork stuffed with lemon zest, pancetta, oven roasted tomatoes, lettuce,caramelized onions, Reggiano cheese and basil. The flavor was excellent and it presented beautifully..

I had the lunch special of the day which was based on an ancient Roman recipe from the Abruzzo Region called Timballo Alla Teramana - a baked crepe recipe, made with layers of delicate homemade crepes filled with mini meatballs, peas, fresh mozzarella, hard boiled eggs, spinach and bechamel and a mild and smooth chef prepared tomato sauce. The crepes were light and perfectly done. The flavor was fantastic and I am now looking forward to trying other specialties. With our lunch we enjoyed a beer and a glass of chilled Italian wine.

Both the chef/owner Mike and his wife,Cary provided excellent service and they both stopped by our table to greet us. Overall an amazing find, our only regret is that we hadn't visited a lot sooner.

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

This is an outstanding restaurant and value. First class service and food by an accommodating crew. This is not a white linen experience. This is a great meal at a reasonable price. Whether it is a casual romantic meal or a family gathering I think you will be happy with the experience. I went there last night with a family of 8. Didn't break the bank, all the food was great, and everyone thanked me for taking them there.

Reviewed 2 September 2018

A whole Italian experience in every plate. Bread, cheese made in house. Excellent wine from Italy. Desserts are a jewel. Even the espresso stands out. Highly recommended

Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

We were fortunate to select Cafe Italia for dinner this evening; and, even more fortunate to meet the Owner and Chef! Every detail of the foods we were served was perfect, handmade breads, sauces, pastries; and, of course the entrees! Each month, the focus of the cuisine changes to another part of Italy, while keeping the standard menu items available. Naples-born, this Chef/Owner really cares about every Guest's dining experience. His love of the foods he prepares comes through in the delicious, fresh and expertly prepared meals. This is a definite win! Thank you for feeding us this evening!

Date of visit: August 2018