“laid back fun, close to the beach”

The Worthington Guest House
li ny
“laid back fun, close to the beach”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

the worthington gay guest house is a nice clean comfortable place to stay in ft lauderdale. good pool area, clothing optional with access to the adjacent property the alcazar resort.combint the both and you have 2 pools hot tub and alley for nite time amusement. the beach is a 5 minute walk (2 blocks) there's resturants and shopps in walking distance. dont really need a car. prices vary but i'm told the alcazar is less expensive, and quieter.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 21 March 2012

About what you would expect in a gay guest house in Fort Lauderdale. Nothing special. Rooms are clean, grounds are nice. There is a cat that roams the premises, so beware. Friendly staff though maybe a bit too eager. Its a bit dated.

Room Tip: The rooms on the Worthington side feel more part of the resort.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I had booked a room earlier at the Worthington when sadly a death in the family forced me to cancel my visit. Though I gave ample notice I was told that I would be given a room credit. That seemed fair to me. A couple of months later I returned to Fort Lauderdale and stayed at the Royal Palms. What an amazing and wonderful place the Royal Palms is. The property, the rooms, the restaurant and bar are exceptional. But what truly makes it fantastic is the quality of service and the staff. They define service. From the handwritten welcome note, and fresh-baked cookies to every little detail, you are totally pampered and served. After a short stay at the Royal Palms I decided to use my room credit at the Worthington. I guess that was my mistake. When I went to check in, the difference was immediately glaring. The front desk was a cluttered mess and the staff seemed as though I was an interruption to their work. One of them never even got up from his desk. I told them that I would like to use my credit. The manager said "You can use half of it." Stunned I said,"can you repeat that?"
"I already told you!" he barked. "I don't understand." I said. "I already have paid for one night" "We'll lose money on you. You pay the difference when I give you half" I should have leff but I didn't. The hotel is old, tired, and has a nothing besides a tiny crowded pool. No staff was ever present. There were rude signs scattered throughout the place barking orders at guests. I have now returned to the Royal Palms. From nightmare to dreams come true.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
13 Thank RT312939
jdurhanFt_Lauderdale, Owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
I would like to clarify a couple things. His reservation was for Christmas Holiday, we have a 30 day cancellation policy. A reservation canceled under 30 day Holiday policy the deposit is forfeited. The 3 night reservation was canceled 10 days prior to arrival, under the circumstances, as a courtesy we informed the first time guest that we would forward his deposit to a future stay. We also informed him at the time that a forwarded deposit can not exceed 50% of a new reservation. The reason for this is , when a guest cancels with short notice, the resort may incur a loss due to the room being vacant for one or more of the canceled nights, just as we don't want a guest to loose their deposit, we on the other hand don't want to sustain a loss either. It's fair for both parties.

This person shows up at the front desk without a reservation, states he is staying at The Royal Palms and wanted to use his deposit for 1 night and then go back to RP. Well that shows real gratitude towards us for forwarding his deposit, we reminded him that he could use 50% of his 163.00 credit towards the 199.00 room since his credit was more than 50% of the nights stay. The remainder could be used another time. He got a little upset, he was the one barking. He couldn't understand why, I tried to explain but he kept cutting me off. Finally I gave him the suite for 50% off just to end the drama.

The rest of his comments as well about the resort are down right untrue. We have two large pools, both are larger than the RP's, Our resort is kept in excellent condition. We have won Superior Small Lodgings " White Glove Award" year after year in both buildings, which represents meticulously clean rooms with the highest standards for guest accommodations. Both building have been recently repainted, new fencing, all new windows etc...I'll agree we have a nice crowd at our pools unlike some other resorts, we are always busy.

I'm sure He did get "hand written notes", that may be due to the fact there are no room phones at the RP, so I believe that line. He also states " No staff was ever present", well the resort does not run itself. I am there 6 days a week myself. We are fully staffed during business hours. I live 2 minutes away and am available at any time should there be a need.

We have no "rude signs barking orders to the guests", the only signs that are posted are the mandatory pool/spa rules, no lifeguard sign which is also mandatory. Outside of those signs we have only one sign on each gate that states parking is for "registered guests only, visitors may be towed". We like for our guests to have a place to park when they get home at night. That's not really barking in my book.

We tried to be nice in the first place by forwarding his deposit, sometimes you can't win.

I would suggest to you, that since this guest didn't get his way, this is his retaliation. 99.9 % of our guests absolutely love our resort, the others are probably where they belong.
Jim Durhan- Proprietor
Reviewed 25 February 2012

First time here and have a great time. The accommodations are great and the court yard is very private and tropical. This is what coming to Florida is about. Definitely will be planning a return trip.

• Stayed February 2012
Cathedral City, California
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed at this Gay clothing optional resort in early Feb 2012. Have only good to say about the staff, room we had, ambience of the resort, cleanliness and over all friendly atmosphere of the resort. Our room was clean, spacious and always ready for us when we returned. Staff went out of their to assist guests. Ground were well groomed and buildings appeared fresh as though they had just been painted. Will stay there again when in Ft. Lauderdale

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor, of the Worthington building with semi private balcony, nice view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple