“Like Mary Poppins: Practically Perfect in Every Way”

Royal Palms Resort & Spa
Ranked #55 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
New York, New York, United States
“Like Mary Poppins: Practically Perfect in Every Way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

The Royal Palms is an ideal place to relax in the sun and unwind from the stresses of life in the northeast, the midwest, the northwest, or anyplace that doesn't have a pool and a bar and a spa within steps of your beautiful, quiet room. The incredibly hard-working, wonderfully friendly staff makes you feel at home right away; they can't do enough to make you feel comfortable and at home. You want nightlife? It's a cab ride away. You want to hang around the pool all evening? Fine - have dinner at the bar. You want to walk on the beach? It's a block away. This place has everything: beautiful rooms, pool action, great bar, hot men, quiet rooms.... Mine was right off the main part of the bar/pool area; I heard not a sound, so good was the insulation. I recommend this place highly.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want - to be in the middle of the action or to be apart from it.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Ed S
RPAmbassador, Ambassador at Royal Palms Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Good Morning Ed,

What a terrific way to start the day, hearing from our friends. As you noted, everything you could want is right at your fingertips here at The RP. A full service bar and grill serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, day spa, always hot men, and a staff that is dedicated to serving your every need. Who could want more? Well stay tuned, because more is coming, if you missed one of our weekly dinner shows, make plans to attend on your next visit. Our al fresco dining concept, The Plaza Bistro opens soon and is sure to the the hit of the neighborhood.

We are thrilled and honored that you chose to stay with us and can't wait until we see you again. Until then, accept our wishes for safe travels and we will see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Finnish first
russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Royal Palms might be not ideal but it is the best gay resort in the area. First we thought that there are a few things that could be better, and then we checked out a few other gay resorts nearby and realized that Royal Palms is the best one. It is newly renovated, spotless clean, the only one with a full service restaurant and one of the few with a bar, the only one serving hot freshly cooked breakfast. So even if there are some things that we wished to improve who cares about it when the competition is MUCH weaker. Having said that I will point out a few discrepancies:
1) Gigantic plastic pillows on the beds serve no purpose. That's the first thing you have to remove and find a place for in the room and out of the way. The owner here responded a few times saying that many people love those plastic pillows, well we did not find those people among Royal Palms customers. In fact so far it was only the owner that had good things to say about those pillows.
2) Special design. The hotel claims to have exclusive design that makes a boutique hotel. The reality is that it has a functional, modern, clean design with most pieces bought in IKEA. While this often makes a functional hotel room it does not make a boutique hotel and has no hint of luxury to it. Many new tasteful economy 2-3* small hotels are furnished like this.
3) Sex factor is 2 out of 10. Owners claim that they do not want to encourage sex in the hotel or make it fill like a brothel. And it may be well and good as long as you really want to just seat be the pull and read. If you are hoping for some more action in a gay resort be ware that this place is designed to make it not so easy. Royal Palms gets 2 for Sex factor and not 0 because gay guys will always find the way despite what anyone says)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank indep_travel
We always enjoy hearing from our patrons after their stay. Some of the things you noticed are what make The RP the leader in our market being the only full service hotel catering to the gay male traveler.

The sleek, contemporary design of the rooms with only a splash of color from the accent pillows has been a huge success coupled with our designer furnishings. From the high thread count sheets to the pillow top mattresses, to the impeccable housekeeping service and exclusive amenities, luxury is always at hand.

The RP is in fact the only Hotel in the Gay market with a full service restaurant and the only one with a licensed bar. Close to our clothing optional pool area, our bar and grill provide a natural gathering place for our guests to make new friends, hang out and just relax during their stay with us.

After many months of research, we found that many gay travelers were tired of feeling as if they were in a brothel or bathhouse. They wanted a more main stream feel to their stay. That coupled with the laws governing alcohol service make for our policy against sexual activity in public. We regret that you did not find the atmosphere which you were seeking while with us.

The RP also brings live entertainment to our hotel every Friday and Saturday Night with Cashetta, The worlds first Drag Magician / Psychic and Michael Walters as Dame Edna. These hilarious performers can only be brought to you at our dinner shows right around our Pool Deck.

Be sure to keep up with all the happenings at The RP, as we expand and soon we will open The Plaza Bistro, an al fresco Italian dining concept just steps from our front door.

Until we see you again, please accept our wishes for safe travels.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

the rooms are big and clean.

the swimming pools are heated!

So close to the beach too!

Staff is very nice.

the beds are not the nicest I have slept in but they do the job!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chicago_Ludwig
Thank you for taking the time to write. We are glad you enjoyed your visit to The RP. Our heated pools, one of which is clothing optional make for a great escape when in Fort Lauderdale. Located just one block from some of the most beautiful beaches in the world is a plus as well. Don't feel like venturing out? Stay and socialze around our full service bar and grill.

We hope to see you soon when you return to Fort Lauderdale. Until then, safe travels.
Amityville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I went to the Royal Palms when it moved from its prior location to the new and expanded location on Breakers Avenue. When I went early last year, everything was brand new and beautiful -- All of the rooms are white with "pops of color". (Things to remember about the rooms -- the bed is the only soft sitting area. There is a stylish plastic desk chair in each room, but you can't sit back and relax in a plastic desk chair. The bathrooms have rain forest showers, so you have to know that before you go.)
Just by way of quick background -- the resort has two main buildings. The first building, near the main entrance, surrounds the clothing optional swimming pool and sunning area. It is also where the bar and restaurant are located.
The second building is directly behind the first, but it is not connected by any interior walkways. The second building has three floors (and its a walk-up, no elevators here). There is another beautiful pool and sunning area for the second building that is not clothing optional.
I previously stayed in the first building: this time I stayed in the second building. For me, staying in the first building is the way to go at this resort. (If you do end up in the second building, make sure you ask for a room that is not on the third floor. Walking those stairs over and over again can really get to you. And, on the third floor, you can hear everyone's air conditioner units turning on and off all night long.)
I went back for almost a week in February (2/19 - 2/23) hoping that this property would keep its generally high quality, and it generally does. The rooms are still well maintained, and every member of the staff that I met was very pleasant, but they appeared to be visibly overworked. Since it was President's Week, the resort was sold out. I think the resort is a victim of its own success. Here's what I mean -- while the rooms were clean, I have gotten spoiled at this resort in the past by perfectly maintained rooms. This trip, housekeeping serviced the room every day while I was at breakfast which was terrific. But, since the floors are tiled, they really have to be swept or dusted each day (or every other day at least) since you can feel grittiness under your feet if you walk around with bare feet. It may be that the staff was pushed to the limit with all rooms being rented for the week, but I have grown to expect those little extra touches from this property.
The restaurant was terrific as usual. But, because of the crowd, meals took longer than expected. (for example . . .fifty minutes for 2 eggs on a croissant and 45 minutes for ten shrimp with sweet and sour sauce). If you are in a rush (or have to get back to the airport for an early flight), you should probably eat meals off-premises when the hotel is so fully booked.
Do I still recommend this resort -- Absolutely yes!
But, if you are going during high season when the hotel is sold out, don't expect the superlative service that may be familiar.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front building are more convenient.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Chris32NY1
RPAmbassador, Ambassador at Royal Palms Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write Chris,

We always appreciate the comments and observations of our guests. It gives us insight so that we can continue the service that our patrons over the years have come to expect from The RP.

We regret that you did not find the sitting accommodations to your liking. 47 of our rooms have sleek white upholstered chairs in addition to the desk chair. The other rooms are smaller and they were not provided, however, our 24 hour concierge will gladly make any adjustments for you during your next stay in order to serve you in the best manner possible.

Bot h pool decks offer a great place to enjoy the warm Fort Lauderdale sun as well as socialze and spend time with friends new and old. The front pool offers a clothing optional environment and is in the heart of the resort being connected to our bar and grill. The rear pool offers a serene get away.

We take great pride in the RP being impecably maintained. Our housekeeping staff is available to correct any issues you may have. During your next visit, see one of our friendly concierge staff or any management member for assistance. We have taken the appopriate measures and shared your observations with the staff.

Our bar and grill area is the heart of the resort. While it is not normal for you to experience the wait you mentioned, Chef Alan has been advised and has taken measures with the staff to insure that you do not have an elongated wait during your next visit. Again, please accept our thanks for your candid comments, they are most helpful.

It is our goal to provide each and every guest with the superlative service for which The RP is known and are confident that we will remain your top choice as a destination when visitng Fort Lauderdale.

Until we see you again, please accept our wishes for safe travels.
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

It is rare for me to write a review of any hotel or guest house after a stay. In most of the larger chain hotels an evaluation would consist of a card listing several areas of the hotel's services, and a scale, from 1 to 10, or poor to excellent,and you would check your evaluation.Usually,if I had the time, I would take a few minutes and quickly indicate my choices. All this changed for me after my stay at the Royal Palms Resort. I felt compelled to sit down and describe my experience at the property. It did not take any urging, or extended thought, I felt it was something I truly had to do.

My experience began at the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport on January 23,2012. I was traveling from Paris, where I have been living for the last ten years, and was completely exhausted after the flight of 8 hours, Paris-JFK, New York, where I changed planes for the flight to Fort Lauderdale. I arrived at 10:30, and waiting for me was Mike McNamara, the owner and co-partner of Fab2Go, a car service which RP has partnered with.
It was a smooth, calming,comfortable ride from the airport with Mike, who was charming, knowledgeable, an excellent driver, and full of useful information concerning Fort Lauderdale.
Arriving at the RP, their evening concierge, Ken, was there to greet me, inform of the resort,
its services, what would be available to me, and asked if I had any special needs. He then escorted me to a supreme king room on the upper floor where I began my four day, pre-cruise stay.
The sprawling RP is composed of two buildings: as you enter the property, there is the front pool,(clothing optional), surrounded by loungers, baskets of pool towels, and sun lotions for those who possibly had forgotten to bring their own. This area contains a full service bar and
restaurant with a varied menu for all three meals. This area, I would indicate, would attract people who like to socialize, with the appropriate music on the PA. and is the ideal place to meet and converse with the other guests. The rear area has a larger pool, and is bathing suit required. It is ideal if you are the kind of person who prefers a quiet, relaxing ambiance, with the appropriate music . Between the two buildings, you will find the Spa area, a gym, with a full range of equipment, and a massage room for a relaxing, end , perhaps to a day of sightseeing or visiting.
The resort is decorated in white, which is reflected in the decor of the rooms, immaculately clean, I might add, with gray tiled floors, modern decor.and, the bathroom boasts a rain shower head with ample room to move about. The resort has been completely remodeled, and well thought out. However, to my thinking, there is one element that can spell success or failure for a guest house/resort; and that is the staff. A well oriented staff will always be there to help, inform, advise, without ever being intrusive, and must be accommodating. Well, I must say, the staff at the RP has all that in spades. I have never frequented a place where the staff, and I mean to indicate the front office personnel, would mingle amongst the guests, asking if they needed anything, if they had problems in any area of their stay that needed resolving. Another aspect I enjoyed was the fact that they remembered the guests' names after a short time.They all seemed to be service-oriented, without appearing pushed or compelled. They quickly became almost friends: Phillip,Alan,Juan,Ken, Rich,and all the others whose names escape me for the moment, but whom I shall never forget.
I shall close in mentioning the attention to the least detail that the RP furnishes. The welcome note on your pillow, with the homemade cookies, fresh, I might add, the umbrellas in each room, the pool towels, the sun-tan creams. There seemed to be nothing they did not provide,
and that includes dinner shows, IPad rentals, pool parties, theme nights, and the recent opening of their al fresco dining venue, Plaza Bistro, just steps from the property, featuring, pizza,pasta, and a full menu. The property has the class of a first class resort, with an all consuming desire to accommodate, please, entertain, all its guests all the time.
Truly, a jewel in the crown, and an experience to savor for those needing a home away from home for a short period of time. I shall be returning for the December New Years Eve festivities.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear area are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank alaindeparis
RPAmbassador, Ambassador at Royal Palms Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Bon Jour Alain. It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest during you stay here in Fort Lauderdale. Our goal is to provide the utmost in service and value to each and every guest of The RP. Our partner, Mike at Fab2Go is indeed an asset to have such an immaculate coach waiting on you when you arrive. Ken and our entire concierge staff are proud of our new home. In less than a year, we have changed the face of gay travel .

As you noted, our guests can choose to relax by one of our sparkling pools. The clothing optional pool is always a favorite gathering place of our guests. The rear pool provides a serene spot for those who want"to get away from it all".

Our spa staff is beyond compare and you had the unique opportunity to sample some of the offerings at our New Plaza Bistro which is soon to open.

The entire RP staff takes great pride in knowing our guests by name and catering to your every need. It was indeed an honor to have you as our guest and to now consider you a friend. We are certain that year after year you will find The RP the premier destination for you when in Fort Lauderdale and with all the exciting changes in North Beach Village, there will always be something new to experience each and every time you visit.

Be sure to keep up to date on all the happenings by subscribing to our newsletter or you may also choose to follow us on Social Media either way you dont want to miss all the exciting new options for you to experience.

Please accept our thanks for your kind words and patronage. We will look forward to seeing you again soon. Until then, Safe Travels.