“I really wanted to love it, but it fell a little short of the mark.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Water Taxi

and up
Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take the Water Taxi tour to explore Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood from the water! Your ticket allows all-day Hop On / Hop Off at over 22 stops, and savings at restaurants and attractions at each stop. Think of it as a trolley tour on the water with great destinations along the way. **Important note: Go to our web site for pick up an drop off locations. Do not go to the office location as it is just the business office and Water Taxis do not pick up at the business office. **
Chicago, IL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“I really wanted to love it, but it fell a little short of the mark.”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I were really looking forward to doing the whole Water Taxi thing. We heard good things about it and it sounded like a fun way to see the area. The value was good, for sure. For $20/person you can get off and on the boats as often as you'd like. That seems reasonable. If you are planning on using it throughout the day, I can see how it would be a good value for sure. But, I would try to start sooner (mid-morning at least) to get your moneys worth. My husband and I started our tour in the afternoon. The first boat we were on was a wonderful experience. The boat crew was absolutely hilarious. Their jokes and backhanded comments had us laughing the whole time. We definitely tipped them when we got off at Las Olas Blvd. They told us what time to catch the next boat at that stop and we headed off to tour Las Olas (stop 9). Everything with the Water Taxi pretty much went downhill from there.

The boats did not come back when they said they would. In fact, they were about 20 mins late. We got there a little early so as not to miss the boat, so it was annoying that the boat was so late. Finally a double-decker Water Taxi showed up. We just wanted to get the heck out of there, so we hopped on. It turns out the double-decker waits for 5-10 mins at every stop (unlike the smaller boats that take off after a minuter or two tops). The staff of the double-decker did not talk at all except to tell us there was alcohol available downstairs... oh, and to request that everyone tip them on the way off the boat. Tip them for what? They didn't entertain like the other boat staff. They just drove the boat. The $40 we paid should have already covered that. Also to note: The large boat has to skip a lot of stops since it is too big to dock at some locations. We got off after one stop and switched to the smallest of boats in the fleet.

Warning about the really small boats: I sat in the front and got completely sprayed with water for the entire LONG ride to the next stop (I had to wait to switch seats). My hair was all wet and ruined after that. It was gross and not something I wanted to experience while out and about, shopping and dining.

We decided to use the taxi into the evening for dinner. We wanted to go to stop 8 (15th Street Fisheries). We got to stop 3 on time, actually 5 minutes early. The boat showed up a few minutes late, but what they do not tell you on the schedule is that just because a boat is stopping, it doesn't mean the boat will get you to where you want to go! Apparently that boat was an express boat that would stop at 7 and 9, but he wouldn't go to 8 for us. So we had to sit there until 8:30ish to wait for another boat to come by. We didn't get to the restaurant until a little after 9PM and by the time we were done eating we just ended up paying to take a regular taxi come to avoid the whole boat debacle again.

If you want to use it:
- Start early in the day
- Stick to the medium-sized boats
- Expect that you may have to wait for the right boat to come by, don't rely just on the schedule and assume the boats will go where you want
- Avoid the double-decker completely

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Stranded at stop 7”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Waited and waited for over an hour for a taxi to come by. Saw them go by but they never came over our direction. Ended up walking back to our hotel, in the rain with our son at 9pm.

4 Thank Tanya R
West Palm Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“RUDE Tour Staff”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I overheard one of the tour "guides" Rick making fun of two homosexual men who were sitting next to us. I looked at him and said "wow that was ballsy". Rick then ensued an altercation with "me", staring at the empty plastic cup I had in my hand, insinuating that I was drunk. He even threatened to stop the boat, the Captain smiled and seemed to be in agreement.
It was an extremely embarrassing experience to be reprimanded in front of a boat full of tourists. I told him that I will make sure to add this experience to TripAdvisor, and he replied "It doesn't matter, people report me all the time...and laughed.

Waste of the $40 we spent on this poorly staffed tour...

6 Thank Sarah M
bostbestcruises, Owner at Water Taxi, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you for posting this review and bringing this issue to our attention. After some further investigation, we were able to identify the crew member who made the unacceptable remarks, and removed him from our staff. Water Taxi is a fun, friendly company, and will not tolerate discrimination.
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So much fun!”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

A great way to see the city! If your lucky you will get a driver who acts as a tour guide and give you lots of info on the history of the area!

Visited February 2012
Westfield, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Smooth sailing”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Something fun to do.Jump on and off the water taxi.The crew was funny and helpful.