“Good history but slightly disappointing”
Review of Stranahan House

Stranahan House
More attraction details
Owner description: The Historic Stranahan House Museum is the City's oldest surviving structure. The story of the Stranahan House is the story of a family, a house, and a city. The Stranahan House was built in 1901 by Frank Stranahan, Fort Lauderdale's founding father, and his wife Ivy Cromartie Stranahan, the area's first school teacher. The house has served as a trading post, post office, community center, town hall and home to the Stranahans. The Stranahan House has stood at the center of Fort Lauderdales growth since it was built and played a significant role in the economic and social life of this community. Open daily for guided House tours at 1, 2, and 3pm. Special events, weddings, and holiday programs.
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

I expected a bit more from the museum. I realize not everything in the house belonged to the family and we’re representative of the era but I was surprised by our tour guide on how much she indicated this or that was not really how Mrs Stranahan would have done things or used this or that. I guess it surprised me. The restoration of the building is awesome. The location is difficult to find parking close by.

1  Thank Kenmarsam
"great history"
"the cheesecake factory"
"step back in time"

Reviewed 11 August 2018

The Strananhan House looked like a nice place to visit, but they were doing repairs on the building. But the staff member there was still very eager to tell the Stanahan Family story and how they were pioneers in developing the area. I will definetely be back once construction is complete.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Is interesting to get to know how it all started in Fort Lauderdale. Good visit if you want to know about the area history.

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

This little place is tucked inside such a neat location. Next to the gorgeous Riverside Hotel. We were only able to tour the grounds due to time constraints but so glad we did. Felt like you stepped back into time after crossing the gates. Wish we could have toured the home. Plan ahead and see it. They have scheduled tour times.

1  Thank OTSB
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 August 2018

I love old homes, so it was no surprise that I wanted to see one of the oldest in South Florida, the Stranahan House. Our docent was Tom and he was terrific! As the title of this review notes, "even my husband enjoyed this tour." I had no idea that this singular home included such a fascinating history. Thanks to all the volunteers who made this such a memorable visit.

1  Thank Patricia B