Review Highlights
Excellent Kayak Tour on the edge of the Everglades

Perfect small adventure in a small group with excellent guide who knows a lot aboutthe area, the... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
AMG007
Idstein, Germany
Amazing kayak adventure

I had bought the “ kayak into a new day “ from 7.30am to 11.30am. The price is $99 per person... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
665stephanem
Key West, Florida
via mobile

All reviews turner river knowledgeable guide insect repellent paddling kayak everglades mangroves wildlife snakes kajak florida environment
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We went on two tours, Kayak into a New Day, and Paddle into the Twilight. Our guide for the morning tour, Joe, was great at pointing out the many birds and alligators we saw as we paddled down the river. Our tour left at about 7:30 and we got back at about noon, including driving to and from the river. Our guide for the evening tour, Chris, was great at spotting alligators and navigating us back through the mangrove tunnels in the darkness. This tour left Ivey House at 4 and we got back at 7 (sunset was around 5:30-5:45 that night). We had a snack and bottled water at the halfway point on both tours when we took a break.

We had such a great time on both tours - they completely made our trip!

1  Thank KJacksonPhotos
Reviewed 18 November 2010

My wife and I took a 3 hour afternoon kayak ride to the Everglades called "Experience the Magic of the Mangroves". This is a very leisurely ride on single person kayaks through the Turner River Canoe Trail. Our guide Chris was like a long lost friend taking us around his backyard. We met "One-eyed Willy", the canal's long-time resident alligator as well as many other adult and younger alligators. Many of the Everglades' birds were also greeting us along the way. The scenery, wildlife, mangrove tunnels, tranquility of the area and our guide's presence made this a trip of a lifetime.

Reviewed 15 November 2010

Wow! My boyfriend and I wanted to get a taste of the Everglades and boy did we on this Kayak Eco Adventure Tour. Our guide Cory was just awesome, giving information about the environment we were paddling through without being intrusive. This was my first time in a Kayak, was a nice leisure trip through the mangroves and even though I was a little nervous about being so close to the gators, the guide directed you when you needed to move in a certain direction, making you feel safe. I would highly recommend this to anyone that wants to witness nature up close. The people at The Ivey House were also very helpful when selecting the right trip for us. We will be back!! :)Laura

1  Thank Laura34618
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We took both the evening and the early morning mangrove kayak tours and we all thought they were definitely worth doing. You see lots of birds, alligators, plants and flowers, though time of day and season are significant influences on the flowers. These are experiences you can't get anywhere else. Seeing the red glow of a gator's eyes in the dark is unforgetable. The guides we had, Cody and Dee, were very good and entertaining, the logistics were well handled, the equipment was fine, we felt safe at all times. Navigating the mangroves in a kayak can be very tricky, especially if you have no kayaking experience and you are in a one-person kayak, but the pace of the tours is quite slow and manageable even for the paddling-impaired. My husband and I were in a two-person kayak, which was actually a little too challenging at times in the dark because I was in the front and blocked the light coming from his headlamp. He couldn't really see where we were going in the more twisty areas. The mangroves are very narrow with lots of low-hanging branches, so you really need to pay attention, even in the daylight. I preferred the less challenging mangroves so that I could concentrate more on the wildlife and flowers and less on the technical aspects of navigating the waterway.

The tours give you a full 3 hours on the water, and then it's about a half hour on each end loading, unloading, and being driven to the launch site. Do keep in mind that there aren't any restrooms available once you depart. The evening tour we took was on the night before the time changed, so we arrived back at 9 pm which was after all but one restaurant in Everglades City closed. Perhaps after the time changes they leave and return earlier. But if not, keep in mind that the only grocery store in Everglades City is more like a 7-11 than a proper grocery store. So have a hearty lunch or snack before you leave and have a plan for getting supper when you return. The Oyster House restaurant which is open until 10 pm on weekends serves mostly fried food at a very relaxed pace, If you're not prepared to get cleaned up fast after the kayak tour and dash down the road for a meal, I'd advise you to stock up on PB & J and wonderbread. But whatever you do, don't skip the adventure! The tours are unique, feel a little like something out of a fantasy movie, and definitely worth doing.

Reviewed 13 November 2010

For the morningTurner River kayaking,( allow 3 hours door to door) wear shoes that can get wet, mosquito repellent, long sleeves and take your camera. No experience necessary, my guide Dee gave a short paddle lesson at the start. She is very knowledgable and her goal is to make sure you see amazing things and to keep you safe. This woman got between me and and alligator! We paddled through a mangrove tunnel, saw beautiful exotic birds and a literal pile of baby alligators sunning themselves. I traveled at the end of October which is right before "high" season. It was still quite warm but the mosquitoes were waning.