All reviews old florida george island across the bridge room was clean flat screen peacocks wandering pelicans laptop
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

The Bering Sea has nothing on this place with it's gold and bickering and dysfunctional relationships. Meet Edda and her family and Miss Rose. Beautiful pristine place, clean comfortable rooms always more than you expected, family and MORE than reasonable!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Notorious_dm
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Pay no attention to any other review of this establishment that is less than superb, awesome relaxing and great. FIVE hotels in a hundred miles. I have a kitchen, a nice clean room, close to everything there is to see and do. A great bed every time A/C heat and lots of hot water.
A family owned and operated establishment with customers that come every year for 30 years.
A reservation with a phone call. No credit card required, Miss Edda will book your room and even leave the key in your door after she retires around 10. Hey get some rest, we can settle up tomorrow, I know where you are. With a generous late check-out and casual atmosphere how can you possibly complain. Yes there are many Peacocks strolling the grounds, also fox,Bald Eagle,puppies,Pelicans and golly you may even glimpse a Black Bear strolling down the street enjoying the Eastpoint nightly Bear buffet. Some say "outdated" some say "Rustic a step up" say others. Well you could run over the bridge and pay twice the price for the same spiderwebs cats dogs and wildlife. But I guess since that place is really over 100 years old, and claims to be haunted when the pipes bang all night that is scary. "Old and run down" the lady from Jan 12 says, stayed one night on business and ran off to Apalach. I suspect she was having issues with her cell phone. Folks if it's not Verizon your stuck, bring the laptop there is Internet in these parts. Drop the stress and relax, you will never ever see sunsets like these, you will never ever meet great folks like this, or find fish like these. And I assure you that you will not find a fairer price in 100 miles in any direction. If the "junk and rundown trailer" lady would have stayed past sunrise she would have noticed that the Lodge is also a Marina with a campground on the point. Ha ! guess she missed the faded arrow that says "RV's"
In conclusion, if your passing through in a hurry, are incapable of relaxation or just plain big city scary. Please KEEP DRIVING the big city is only 50 miles down the road and I may want to enjoy the room you left for us. If you are in town long term working STAY HERE. If you are hankering to spend a week fishing STAY HERE. If you want that quiet getaway where the kids can't get in trouble, can't spend your money and will never ever be sitting in the room bored STAY HERE. I certainly will and so do my friends.

Room Tip: Bayside rooms have AWESOME views, great for the romantic getaway. Lots of different size rooms, if your staying a week grab a Kitchen. The detractors failed to mention that all the restaraunts close by 10pm on weekdays, one 24hr on weekends and after 11pm the county takes the sidewalks and shuts off the street lights.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank KiloMWatts
Reviewed 16 November 2012

If your idea of travelling is finding some unique, interesting out of the way places..then this is the spot for you.

I've been going there for at least ten years. I live in Tallahassee and it's only about an hour...maybe an hour and half away...and a great retreat for me.

Why do I like it so much?

1) It's got that "old Florida" feel. I was raised in Florida so I know what I'm talking about. It's a collection of old two story buildings and some modular buildings..nestled in among a lot of trees...On the bay across from Apalachicola...Peacocks wandering around...Very quiet and peaceful. (Though if you've never heard a peacock before...it might startle you!)

2) The rooms are pretty clean..and I get one on the backside overlooking the bay with a kitchenette...and very reasonably priced. If you want luxury, this isn't it. But it's clean and comfortable...and being able to open the screen door to the wraparound porch (on the second story) is about as relaxing as it can be.

3) It's half way between St George Island and Apalachicola..both places that I like to spend time. St George is one of the famous barrier islands of North Florida (on Dr. Beach's 2011 Top Beaches...) and miles of white, white sand...and blue, blue water. And Apalach is a hundred plus year old fishing town with enough character, places to shop, historic landmarks and on and on that is really very pleasant. (Note they basically shut down on Sunday)

4) If you're a boater there is a public boat ramp next to the property and some small docks.

5) The woman who runs the place is wonderful.

What you may not like..

This place draws all kinds of people...from curious traveler, regulars like myself...fishermen...so if you can't fit in with everybody...might not be a good choice. Some rednecky element...but never bad..Even with the large groups of people at times who want to have a good time...sitting outside and having beer and bbq..it never gets loud or rude. The people all respect each other. At least I've never, ever had any problems..and have had some good times meeting others who stay there.

The rooms aren't spartan...but they ain't fancy either. For instance, they have flat screen tv's...but they aren't giant ones. I always bring my own soap ( I do that every where I go though) and towels...(their towels are well above average...I just like my own).

So give it a try once. If it's your cup of tea, you'll be glad you did. (Thanks Edda!)

Room Tip: I like the bayside rooms on the back...you can get a king size bed..a kitchenette and the room overlooks the bay.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JohnShoemaker
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My husband, 3 small dogs and I just stayed for our first time, but not our last. We travel a lot for my husbands job, so we have a lot of motel experience. Sportsman's Lodge is clean and quiet. It is great for fishermen! Our dogs also really enjoyed their walks. I don't really fish, but Apalachicola is just across the bridge with many shops to browse. It was so peaceful to sit on the balcony watching the water and gorgeous sunset. Yes, it is old, and a bit frayed around the edges, but it is so very beautiful, and did I mention clean!!! No spider webs at all!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ScarltsMmy
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Quirky, quaint, not sure how to coin this location. The owners were lovely people and very trusting of their guests and loyal to their employees. Fantastic location righ on the bay but very outdated, some units more than others. Our family room had the basic amenties, albeit very dated and not redecorated since the 80's maybe. The beds, linens and towels were sufficient but nothing over the top. The space - kitchen bath, etc were clean but small. The family unit was described as two bedrooms but with out doors I think I would say its more like two rooms with a kitcenette, bath and ability to sleep 6. There are peacocks, dogs, cats and children that roam the property - many differing types of buildings including tents, campers and hotel units.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2 bedroom unit across from the office or one that faces the bay.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends