“Very family oriented” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Coral Gables, Florida
“Very family oriented”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I stayed here for two days, one night. My boyfriend got the room through a friend, which is why I put average as the value. I am not sure what he paid.
The hotel itself is very clean and organized and decorated well. The lobby was a bit warm but it is afterall a lobby with a lot of in and out traffic. The room was very nice with huge comfy beds and a very large balcony.
The grounds had a lagoon and a pool, which both days were jam packed and taken over by children, which is not necessarily a bad thing if you are going with your kids, but personally I wouldn't swim in there (if you get what I mean).
The lagoon had paddle boards and canoes to rent or play on and there were lots of lawn chairs to lay on. One downfall though was the fact it was so family oriented, there was daily activities for the children, like games and races, and the announcer in charge was extremely loud and could be heard everywhere. So relaxing beachside with a book was a bit difficult. But it's also great for the kids.
The highlight would be the dolphins :)
Yes, there are dolphins right outside! For a fee, you can swim with them or have a dockside interaction. Tons of fun!
Another inconvenience was the fact that the closest place to get breakfast outside the hotel is at least 25 minutes away!! So we were limited.
All in all it is a nice, clean hotel. If you are planning to take your children for an outting, I'd say this is a perfect place. If you want a nice quiet adult weekend, perhaps not.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Dear GlobetrotterMel,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your feedback. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay, particularly your Dolphin Connection program. It is a phenomenal experience and I'm thrilled that you had a chance to take part in it.

While Hawks Cay is an extremely family-oriented location during this busy spring break season, I hope that you'll come back to visit us during a time period that becomes a more adult-friendly environment. These months are typically mid-April through early June, September through November, and January through mid-February. Not only are you able to find the "quiet adult weekend" you mention in your review, but they also offer ideal water and weather conditions to take advantage of the amazing water-related experiences available in the Keys.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the Saltwater Lagoon, but it sounds as though you did not get a chance to experiene our Tranquilty Pool. This is the adults-only pool area located along the ocean, which offers the quiet, beautiful environment you may have been looking for. I am so sorry this was not highlighted for your by our team.

Thank you, again for your comments. Should you plan to visit us again, I hope you'll contact me directly. I would be happy to assist you in planning the perfect escape to the Keys.

jennifer.dinan@hawkscay.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,084)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Wake Forest, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

My wife and two daughters, ages 17 and 14 had a wonderful time staying at the Hawks Cay Resort. There are plenty of activities for all ages. The Villa's are very nice with plenty of space for teenage girls. Hawks Cay is located in the ideal spot for short trips north to Key Largo or south to Key West for shopping, tours, and checking out the sites if you decide to venture away from the resort. I did take advantage of a chance to fish with Rich Tudor and his son Reed while the women folk did their shopping. It is hard to say who had the most fun. My wife, both daughters and I agree that this was the best vacation by far. Everyone ate what they wanted and there was always something to do to keep the family involved. You have it all there at the resort or close by. We tried several such as snorkel, fishing, tours and shopping to name a few. Check out the site to see what your family will enjoy or try something new. We even enjoyed watching the younger children doing the resort activities at the lagoon.

Room Tip: The two bedroom villa's with two and a half baths are perfect for teenage daughters.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Ben S,

Thank you for sharing your family's experience at Hawks Cay. It sounds like you took full advantage of all that the Resort has to offer, and I'm thrilled that we even kept the teenagers from uttering that famous teenager line..."I'm bored." We hope to see you again soon!

Denver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I, my husband and our 12 year old twins just spent our first Spring Break week at Hawks Cay resort. We had originally planned on going to Hawaii but decided to try something new and closer to home.
The Hawks Cay website photos and descriptions depicted the resort as upscale. We stayed in in a 1 br 1.5 bath Sunset “villa” and let me assure you I use that word loosely. It’s description and photo suggested it was oceanfront (see what appears to be sand in front of the Sunset Village property photo.) The promised ocean view was disappointing: the ocean was through the trees, across a canal to more trees. However, the sunset view from upstairs was awesome.
The “villas”are not even close to luxurious. Sunset 5111 was clean and adequately decorated but the rooms and bathrooms were TINY. The beds and nightstand in second bedroom had to be rearranged (by us) to make room to walk between beds and it was still tight. The Washer/Dryer closet was hard to access because it was blocked by a bed. The living room was small and need more seating. Only one couch an chair for the four of us.
We also felt like we were out in the boonies, when we first arrived. We went back to the front desk and tried to move to a larger and/or closer unit (we were willing to pay for an upgrade) but were told there was nothing available. We were already paying $600 a night.
Be aware, there is NO housekeeping in the “villas”! Moreover, they don't provide you with basic items like coffee filters or salt and pepper and the ice maker had not been turned on, so no ice for 24 hours.There were no dish towels, napkins, and there was a shortage of toilet paper. The cardboard Kleenex dispensers looked like they had been reused. Housekeeping consisted of dropping off towels a couple of times but no wash cloths. There was a store on property but we drove to Marathon for groceries.

The amenities are very spread out, and it is up to you to arrange everything. The activities were plentiful but expensive. We took the sunset Kayak, Segway and jet ski tours. My family enjoyed swimming at the main pool and hanging by the lagoon. There was plenty of attention from the pool wait staff, always willing to help with a tropical drink or lunch. Their 18% gratuity was included and they appeared to be earning it.
As we thought, the villas were a bit far far from the action, but the tram was pretty readily available and we did enjoy the walk around property. It would be a hike for smaller kids and some seniors.
We ate at Tom’ s one night and the poolside restaurant for lunch each day. Tom’s was crowded and service very slow; not a great selection for a seaside resort restaurant. And overpriced. I don't expect to pay cheap prices for food and drinks at a resort l, but the prices for what you got was a little over the top. We ate lunch at the pool restaurant every day. It was good, but pricey as well; a hamburger was $14 and they charged my daughter $7 for a virgin daquiri.
There was a fun ice cream spot at the marina.
Not sure what you actually get for your daily Resort fee, especially staying in the “villas”. There is no concierge; front desk was unable to give helpful activity or restaurant advice.
Everything was really just average. We have been to many luxury resort in Hawaii, Mexico and Central America and we were excited to experience a resort on the mainland in a new location. Maybe we are spoiled, but it is what it is. We won’t be going back or recommending this resort.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Trish T
Dear Trish T,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed many of the activities, amenities and beautiful Florida Keys environment while here at the Resort.

I am so sorry that your experience with the Villa in Sunset Village did not meet your expectations. Our Villa Operations team has reviewed your comments and is addressing them appropriately - the notes are very much appreciated. While full housekeeping service is not provided on a daily basis, you should have received at least one full service during your week stay, as well as receiving more than just fresh towels daily. I apologize for the inconvenience we may have caused you.

Thank you, also, for your comments regarding some of the dining options. We are in the process of updating our menu offerings in all outlets, and will be adding a new restaurant option this fall. I hope that we'll have the opportunity to earn your loyalty in the future.

Please don't hesitate to contact me should you like to further discuss your stay.

Arlington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We just returned from a wonderful week at Hawks Cay and wish we were still there! We traveled with extended family and found the resort absolutely fantastic for our needs. The families with children stayed in the Sanctuary Village, while our parents stayed in the main hotel. I initially feared based on some previous reviews that there would be a great distance between the two locations, but everything on the resort is within easy walking distance. There is a ton of variety in terms of accommodations as well as activities, and we were never at a loss for something new and fun to do either during the day or the evening.

I also feared that the resort might be overcrowded since we traveled during spring break, but because of the size of the resort and the number of different pools, activities, etc., it never felt crowded.

The only thing I would mention - and this is a commentary about traveling to the Keys in general rather than commentary specifically about Hawks Cay - is that there are really no good beaches in the Keys. This was not a problem for us since our kids enjoyed the pools and we were able to get out on the water via boats, but if you're the type of person who likes to walk along a nice, large expanse of beach, you may be disappointed. Hawks Cay seems to do better than most other places in terms of providing a lagoon that did have a sandy beach and salt water, though.

In short, if you're looking for a resort with lots of activities and nice amenities, definitely check out Hawks Cay.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Julie W,

Thank you so much for the comments about your spring break stay at Hawks Cay. You make a great point about visiting us with extended family. You have the ability to spend plenty of time together and gather at various locations throughout the Resort (my favorite is the Fire Pit at night), but you also have enough space for privacy when needed. In my experience in travelling with my own family, that combination of gathering space and privacy is essential to maintaining sanity and a happy family vacation!

I'm sure other travelers will appreciate your comments regarding beaches in the Keys. While the Keys aren't known for huge expansive beaches, if our sandy Saltwater Lagoon does not fit the bill we are just a short drive from some of the great local beaches - Coco Plum Beach, Sombrero Beach, and one of the most picturesque beaches in Florida - Bahia Honda. Because the only living coral reef in the North America is located just off our shores, our shores are protected from large breaking waves which diminishes the potential for large sandy beaches. The great news is, we've got some of the most amazing reef snorkeling and diving because of it!

Thank you, again, for your comments. We hope to see you again soon!

Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Hawks Cay Resort area in an individually owned condominium. It had a lanai with a great view of the marina. The resort has many activities to keep all ages happy.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Jodie 1906,

Thank you for your feedback. It sounds like you stayed in one of our 1-story villas in the Marina Village. I absolutely love these units because of the large screened-in lanai overlooking Hawks Cay Marina, as you mentioned. An ideal way to start or end your day in the Keys is lounging on the lanai watching the boats departing and returning with the day's catch.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck Key
0.7 km away
Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean
20.7 km away
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!