“Jscott Stayed Twice Nantucket Rainbow Cottages”

Nantucket Rainbow Cottages
Ranked #44 of 56 Speciality Lodging in Destin
Texas
“Jscott Stayed Twice Nantucket Rainbow Cottages”
Reviewed 30 March 2009

My family has stayed at the Nantucket Rainbow Cottages twice and we are booking for a third time. The location is great . It is in the middle of a residential beach neighborhood. Nantucket is located away from the hustle and bustle of 98 on Scenic 98 (a very small barely two lane road). If you are looking for a five star resort with room service and a concierge this is not it. If you are looking for a quiet, safe, casual off the beaten path location for your family to chill, THIS IS IT! First floor units on the 98 side are like having your own little beach house. My husband sit's out on the patio watching the people go by, drinking martin's and smoking cigars. My teenagers go to Destin Commons (one stop light away) for movies and shopping. We have had our own beach cottage before and this experience is similar. One of Florida's top elegant, five star Restuarants is a across the street. The money we saving preparing easy meals in the kitchen allows us to spend a couple hundred in the restaurant each year. We love Nantucket and want to stay there each time now. We don't like the hovering high rises and parking garages. We are making Nantucket a tradition.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Jm102483

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 20 November 2007

Love Destin, FL and the surrounding area. After my stay at Nantucket, I won't be looking around anymore. I've actually stayed at one of the units before and was not pleased yet this time I stayed at #9. It has a 32 or 35" TV (huge) vs the other unit having some rinky-dink 18" TV. It had all stainless appliances, granite countertops in kitchen and bathroom, extremely nice furniture vs wobbly junk (at other unit), and apparently everything upgraded to brand new this year. I'm confident I will never get so much bang for my buck as I did at #9. They could have charged me $40/night more. Future repeat customer.

• Liked — First class amenities for coach prices
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Spring33
Fort Benning
Reviewed 19 November 2007

My wife, son, mother and I stayed at the Nantucket Rainbow Cottages through ResortQuest Mother’s Day of 2006 and had a terrific time. Honestly, this is a three star condo, but I give it four stars because of the size, location and price. The cost was unbelievably low for the great condo. We had a two-bedroom unit with additional bunks in the hallway and a pull-out couch that could sleep 8. This gave privacy to my mother, my son, and my wife and I with plenty of extra room to spread out. The kitchen was small but more than adequate for our three-day stay. The same was true of the very small bedrooms and living room. The condo was tastefully adorned in an African/tropical motif. Thefour of us were very comfortable, but an American family filling it to the capacity of eight would be claustrophobic. The balcony was very small and only large enough for two adults at one time; not the type you would use for an outdoor dinner setting. The TV was not a flat screen, but it was large enough for the room and included a DVD/VCR and cable. I don’t know if there was wireless internet as we chose to disconnect from the net.

We had a view of the outdoor pool in the courtyard from our living room and balcony. The bedrooms overlooked the parking lot facing away from the beach. If you really leaned over the rail and looked between the cottages and the hotels across the street you might see a sliver of the gulf -- accordingly they are advertized as having no view. The cottages are cloistered together in a cozy complex that is across the street from the hotels and condos on the beach. It is a very short walk down to the boardwalk and stairs that lead to a clean, spacious beach free of the obnoxious chair and umbrella vendors. Similarly there are no other vendors so bring your own beverages and drive into town if you want to jet ski or parasail. We had a great time building sand castles, body surfing, flying kites and just soaking up the rays.

We will definitely stay here again. I recommend this to low maintenance families with children who want to avoid the crowds and don't need maid or concierge service. We didn’t mind that there wasn’t a hot tub in the room and we had to wash our own dishes and towels, but some might. I’ve read reviews for properties at twice the price with less appeal. For about the cost of a budget hotel we enjoyed a condo within a stone’s throw of the beach. Can’t beat it! Oh, if you go to Destin, Fort Walton Beach over Mother’s Day, you MUST eat the Mother’s Day Brunch at the Ramada. Wow. Best meal ever! From the mimosa to the chocolate fountain to fresh entree’s to the waffle, crepe and omelet stations I can’t tell you how we love it. We have driven from Columbus Georgia to Destin for three of the last four Mother’s Days (I was in Iraq this year) and we plan on going again this Mother’s Day and will probably stay in the Nantucket Rainbow Cottages.

• Liked — Best 2-Bedroom Condo for under $100/night
  • Disliked — No Beach View
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank WanderingGI
Missouri
Reviewed 25 September 2006

What a unique set of cottages just across the street from the beautiful Destin beaches. We stayed in the upstairs unit of Cottage No. 1 and found it to be clean, well-equipped, and convenient. Convenient to the beaches, to the shops, to the movie theaters, etc. When we go back next summer, we plan to ask for the same unit. Everything worked so why mess with a good thing?

• Liked — Price for being so close to the beach
  • Disliked — No dishwasher
  • Tips/Secrets — Be sure to ask for a unit that is on the front row closest to the beach
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank FLBoater
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 May 2006

We had a great time and the cottage was beautiful!! The interior was clean and very nice. The beach was a walk across the street and between two high rise condos and you were there. The only downside was the ladder to the top bunk had sharp outside corners and my daughter slipped one night getting out of bed and her thigh slide down one of those corners. It left a nasty bruise and cut which is still there 4 weeks later. I mentioned this to the registration office and showed them in hopes that they would fix the corners. Other than that, we loved it and would go back again.

• Stayed April 2006