“Fantastic Tapas!”

De La Vega Restaurante y Galeria
Reserve with OpenTable
De La Vega Restaurante y Galeria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 194 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2018

The menu has selections you will not see anywhere else. Chef Nora really knows how to surprise! Family owned and operated, this a Mexican menu with an urban Spanish flair. One of our favorites!

Reviewed 9 June 2018

How does one find such great food in such a small college town? Well, this is clearly the best in the region and worth a trip. The Hibiscus tacos pack more flavor and texture than you could ever imagine. The fish entrees were all outstanding and the tapas were plenty to share. The ingredients were farm market fresh, and the service would rival any 5 star restaurant. The only downside is there is not a "liquor license" but there is sangria, premixed margaritas, wine and beer. But the wine was outstanding. Argentinian wines were as described. A wine connoisseur would not be disappointed. This is now the favorite place when I am in town. Even the desserts were perfect. Not overly sweet, but great churros, flan, and fried ice-cream. Definitely come if you appreciated fresh clean food.

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

DH and I have been coming to this restaurant for several years now. We really enjoy the authentic flavors oh the Mexican cuisine. This is NOT Tex Mex food! My favorite dish is the Taquiza de Camarones, which are shrimp tacos served with small soft tortillas and a delicious guacamole!! I order this all the time! DH has several different dishes that he orders: Ajitos de pescado (fish, red onions, grilled zucchini, pineapple and garlic served on a bed of refried black bean spread), Ultimate Ropa Vieja (Shredded beef, cooked in a tomato purée, served with rice and tostones-fried plantains), Chilitos Rellenos (sweet peppers stuffed with Spanish chorizo, red sauce and served with rice).

I love their Tapas! The Ropa Vieja Rounds is a smaller presentation of the dinner. The meat is placed on top of the fried plantain. YUM!!! The cheese empanadas are fantastic! DH likes the Chorizo empanadas!! The Avocados Rellenos are to die for!!! They are 4 halves of avocados, filled with lime infused shrimp and red onion!!

They also have a vegan menu if anyone needs or wants it. There are vegetarian dishes and if you want to change anything, they usually can.

If you look them up on line, they have better descriptions than what I just did and they have pictures of the food.

I know everyone has their own opinion but I don’t understand the “one star” reviews. Whenever we come here, we receive great if not wonderful service and amazingly delicious food!! We will definitely continue to return.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

The service was great. I was pleased that the pollo in the enchiladas, rice and tortillas in my dish were very fresh tasting. The size of the tapas dishes were reasonable. Many times at other tapas restaurants you have to order several dishes to get enough to eat. The only negative was that this is a noisy restaurant. I guess all of the guests are having a great time. I would go back

Reviewed 13 May 2018

We went for dinner to "De La Vega" prior to going to see Oklahoma at the Anthens Theatre. The restaurant is located on the main strip of
Woodland Avenue in Deland. It is quite small with some seating available outside on the sidewalk. It is a optional tapas restaurant, meaning they offer regular meals or just tapas. The service was good not great. The restaurant was somewhat busy. I understand the concepts of tapas but the portions of each tapa were so small we could have ordered 4 different dishes and still left hungry! We were only 2 in our party. We ordered the Chillitos Rellenos. They were good but tiny. The rice was nothing to talk about and though the peppers were cooked properly, they lacked flavor. The Ropa Vieja rounds were again cooked well but lacked flavor. I have had much better Ropa Vieja at Zaza's which is not considered fine dining.
Finally the Aspirina de Chorizo is a dish consisting of a tiny corn meal patty covered in black bean paste with tomatoes and chorizo which was not existent in our dish. The best item we sampled was the sangria which was flavorful and not overly sweet with real fruit. I would pass on this restaurant. It is overpriced. They portions are extra small and although the food was prepared adequately by no means did any dish provide an "explosion" of flavors to the palate. I am very familiar with Latin cuisine and would say many other places provide a better dining experience. Deland needs to do better. Mount Dora similar in size provides better dining options.

Manny D, Owner at De La Vega Restaurante y Galeria, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

William, We will consider your comments to improve our food and service. Thank you for your feedback.